Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Arduino COM / NAV LED display - FSX

Thanks for that Kangaby, I had tried to find the pictures etc but allas ,, I failed.
    Anyway,, the whole lot of Brians stuff is there so thats even better ,,, marvelous.

Cheers ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Another thing that might be worth thinking about is the Maxim MAX7221 chip, which is a serial input/output common-cathode display driver chip. I'ts capable of driving 8 seven segmment displays using the Arduino SPI bus. If you hardwire the first and last digit as suggested elsewhere, you can get the active / standby frequency display for a single radio off 1 chip.

These chips can also be cascaded together to give you extra displays. However, you need an external supply if you use more than 1 chip, as the Arduino can't supply the power on it's own via the USB. (So I've read)

I used a combination of the DateTime & LedControl library from the Arduino site to make a clock on a breadboard. It shouldn't be too hard to adapt it to driving some radio displays. LedControl and FSX (SimConnect) both use BCD.

You can also get 4 seven segment displays internally wired in a 12 pin package, which makes it even easier. I don't know if I can give out supplier names here, so if you google 7FR5643AS it will turn up the one I'm using. There are probably other suppliers, as well as similar displays (types / size). The display I'm using is a clock display, which just means it has a decimal point for each digit (as normal) plus the ":" between the 1st and 2nd pairs. There are other versions with out the ":".

3. Thanks Sammy-E thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

The theory is a success!! After taking a 4-5 week hiatus (due to work & social activities), charlie-plexing two displays (8 anodes with no flicker) is possible w/ the Arduino. To update a previous post, I was not as forward thinking as I thought I was... I found that it would be more constructive & time efficient to build a new display to pair up with FSX Out rather than retrofit what I currently have. As a note to others which may be pondering the same trail I am on - I calculated ~14mA (360 ohms @ 5V) to the segments, but this will not be enough when Charlie-plexing; I am thinking 20mA-25mA should bring the luminosity up to a normal level.

2 P1080448.jpg

A shout out to Kangby - thank you for post(s). I perused Brian's site - I hope to use it after I work issues of my own. As for parts, I hope the autopilot display will be much easier since it is internally wired for charlie-plexing. Unfortunately, I was ****-bent on a .4" green display for NAV/COMM - no decimal point or assisted internal wiring

Jim,
    As an FYI to the webmasters of this site - ie9 is not friendly at all to www.cockpit.org. I had to switch to to my wife's laptop to make this post.

Looking good James ,,, looking good ,,, progress.
    Just while we're chatting about LED displays ,, can I throw in question ,,, is there anything available in the normal size LED range (like your doing James) that is "serial enabled" ,, ie it is driven with a serial signal. You can get them for the smaller LCD screens but I've never seen that for a bank of 6 digits like we need ???? It would be good if there was, as the mega card has all those serial pins on it and it would be real easy to do but I suppose the price starts to run away.
    Just a thought, thinking you may have already researched that.

The problem with IE9 ,, can you fire something into the mycockpit support threads ,,,
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/foru...%C2%AE-Support
    (Not sure if that link will work as there's funny conversions in it)
    I'm a bit old fassioned here ,,, XP and firefox.

Keep at it James ,, no more "work & social activities" for you for now !!
    Jim

25+ Posting Member

Jim... Not sure if this is what u r looking for, but sparkfun.com has a 7 segment display that is SPI bus and serial TTL ready.. Search for sku: COM-09767 on their site.... And only 4 digits.

Yea, I had seen them but looking for 6 digits (Auto pilot). ,, I just thought James might have already researched these.
    I'm watching closely what he's doing here as it might suit an idea I have.

Jim

150+ Forum Groupie

Actually guys, I didn't know there was such an animal out there. I did some "goolgle-ing" and all I could find was Sparkfun and some YouTube vids. If they used something other than .56", I would place the order today - it would be SOoo much easier. I am currently am using the .56" static display and it takes up too much real estate for my Arduino "vision" - hence, the switch to .4" 7-seg. Just as an fyi- for the autopilot display, I have purchased yellow 7-seg LEDs Part# LTC-4624JS and LED pushbuttons Part# 3FTL6 and cap Part# 1Q036; I have high expectations for that future project!

I am curious to know what other parts people are using that I am unaware of that would make design/soldering life easier. I did take a look at the fritzing website - cool stuff; Hope to dig into in the next few weeks. C#, Arduino, design & soldering, and NOW "fritzing" - so many things to learn and so little time!

I love this hobby

Yes it just gets deeper and deeper James and thats great !!! I love that too. !!

I've never been able to track down a true serial 6 digit display,, but there again,, I'd probably be put off by the price.
    There is an 8 digit SPI unit,, which I supposes that one could unsolder the 2 digits not required ,,, SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) is
    a type of serial protocol that can be daisy chained (more than 1 display) and it can ??? be used direct from the earlier Arduino's but I dont know about the later ones. Most people use a shield for SPI from what I gather.

The following sell these things ,,, (All the same unit)
    http://www.micro4you.com/store/8-dig.../prod_197.html
    http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?rou...product_id=374
    http://www.cooking-hacks.com/index.p...8-digital.html

Some info on them ,,, (NOTE ... the size of the digits seems to be a secret !!!!)
    http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.ph...grin:FR0090%29

SPI info,,,,
    http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SPI

All in all James ,, for me in NZ it seems a can of worms for me to go down SPI as I cant get any of this stuff here but it would be interesting to find out how they go if some-one else has actually used them.
    Another thing would be its speed of keeping up with the changes (in altitude) but it has the great advantage that you can use multipule displays just joined to one another and all from very few pins on the Arduino.

Just while we're on displays ,,, another thing that hit me was Davids long LCD display in this thread,,,,
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...thing-about-it.
    which,, for me ,, could be a very good alternative for an Auto pilot ,, I'm still trying to find something like that over here in NZ to try.

Geeze,,,, I'm learning heaps from you guys ,,, great fun ,,, and very rewarding.

I'm sorry James ,,, you asked ,,,, and I write a book !!!!
    Happy researching ,,,, Jim

P.S. I liked your choice of buttons and caps ,,, I just dream of being able to get that sort of stuff over here ... Nice stuff indeed.

10. Thanks JMeller thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    Yes it just gets deeper and deeper James and thats great !!! I love that too. !!
    I wondered what the **** was going on here for a moment!

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    All in all James ,, for me in NZ it seems a can of worms for me to go down SPI as I cant get any of this stuff here but ...
    Jim - I don't know the reasons/regulatons/ of NZ or if it is the added shipping costs- you would have to educate me. I did check one of my suppliers (Digi-Key--the one with the PB) and I verified shipment to NZ w/ $30 shipping fee ($10 here locally). If you shop like I do, I save up a large parts list before ordering so I can off-set the shipping charges. I don't want the "guru" to just dream !
    Anyway, thanks for the links. I checked them out and they are very price friendly considering time, effort, and cost associated with parts I have already purchased. It has me pondering the use of red .56" LEDs...nah, I think I will stick with the tedious work for the (expected) results I want. As always, recommendations and tricks appreciated. As a matter of fact, while gather my parts list, I picked up a 2x40 LCD for $8 as a contingency plan
    Last edited by JMeller; 07-06-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: sp

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast