Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Arduino COM / NAV LED display - FSX

I took your advise Jim and I downloaded VB2010 - since VB6 has been scrubbed from the net. I opened your source code and contrasted it to what was inside SimConnect.

Visualize this, if you will -- Before seeing the VB side, I thought I would be passing V1; instead, I find myself performing a RTO!! That's intense coding language I cannot wrap my head around.

I guess I will to taxi back to the hangar and put my nose to the books for a few months.

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Well James, welcome to programming ,, its a heck of a mess when you start,,, but when you know a wee bit ,,, well its just a bigger mess. !!!

If you are keen and dont know a thing ,,, for simconnect you might be better to learn C#.net rather than VB.net as there are lots of samples in the simconnect SDK in C# and only a few in VB.
    (Check on that ,, I'm sure from memory its C# that there are heaps of samples for.)

I have some bits and peices that may help you,, download this ,,,

http://www.jimspage.co.nz/fsxfs9inouts.htm and have a wee look.

One of the things is a "starter" tutorial for C# by Brian Gefrich (a guru at gaming programming) he had started a basic toutorial but never finished it.

In the files ,,, extensions generally are,, for C# its cs and for VB its vb so you will be able to understand the different samples. (I havent a clue where I got the samples from ,,, possibly the SDK)

With your programming skills in the PDE file I am sure you will succeed in getting something going,, because basically you just want to "listen" for the frequencies from your Arduino. Piece of cake.

Happy experimenting James ,,, Remember ,, you cant "bust" it. ,,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

3. Thanks JMeller thanked for this post

OK James ,, you've had a few days in the hanger now and you are probably ready for a bit of fresh air by now.!!!!

Can I ask a favor ???
    Your thread is being watched by quite a few and it would be good if you could post some pictures (or diagrams) of your rotary switch setup. (or the whole setup )??

Thanks again for posting the code and the excellent description of your setup and I think a few pictures would indicate to other people that there ARE alternatives to rotary encoders and,, we both know they work very well. They look the same (a knob) and do the same job (move the frequency). I am how-ever still going to turn out something for the ones that insist on using rotary encoders with their Arduino but good solid performance is truely obtainable from rotary switchs.

And of course there are people watching and waiting on the out come of your radio stack ,, I should imagine quite a few builders would end up going that way too.

Keep at it James ,,, its all in the fun of it ,,,,, Jim.

150+ Forum Groupie

Watching theses thread like a hawk my arduino should be here in the next n
    few days really interested in seeing what can be done with this controller card .. Hi Jim it's been a while and i've been following your work since you got me hooked on motion cockpits years and years ago glad to see your still pushing the boundries and coming up with alternate ways to make this hobby accessable to the common man great stuff as always cant wait to get to the servo Steam gauge applications for this card ,, bring it on . only regret i did not buy the starer kit version ( bread board, components, lnks wires ,sensors etc) so that i could have worked my way through the arduino tutorials but that can be fixed via another ebay transaction LOL :- busy reading and watching some great tutorial on youtube ... keep up the good work guys i lurk but build at the same time

150+ Forum Groupie

Hello Jim! Yeah, I have been hunkered down with my nose to the "books". When starting the VB side, I knew there would be a learning curve - but, my gosh! It gives me a true appreciation for what you and many others do to enhance our flight sim experience (for free!!). THANK YOU for all that you do!!

Below is my Radio Stack I built a little over year ago. Currently, the numbers are static. Fortunately, I had a little fore-thought and knew the day would come when I would actually control the display. Therefore, the transition will be easy with a few wiring mods. However, my original intentions were to use an array of TTL chips - until I found your page describing the success of the Arduino.
    2011-05 031.jpg
    Currently, the working display is residing on the breadboard. I just move the two common Anode pins to the appropriate outputs to switch from the MHZ display to the KHZ display and vice-versa. Since the display is Charlie-plexed, I, obviously, keep the seven-seg outputs where the are. I do not plan on making the display permanent until I get a handle on the VB / C# programming - I feel I may get distracted if I do.
    2011-05 022.jpg

What I like most about the Arduino... It will replace the spaghetti below and the large footprint of space needed.
    2011-05b 001.jpg

As for my C# curve... I am having difficulty translating older documents (Brian's) written in .NET 2.x framework to the newer .NET 4.0 framework. There is lot of information out there. I had even located (3) C# SimConnect files that were actually written by a former Microsoft programmer - http://fsandm.wordpress.com/2009/12/
    It will take some me some time to get up to speed. However, I know I will be better off in the long run for doing so.

I will post wiring diagrams in a few days. As for the copiled code, it may be a bit too lengthy for post. If it doesn't break any forum etiquette, I suppose I could.

-James

7. Thanks Sammy-E, Jim NZ thanked for this post

Kelvin !!! Well blow me down ,,,, Great to see you in this new wee "Den" we have here,, I got a feeling that there will be some great stuff come out of here especially when other developers come in and do their stuff too. !!!
    Anyway ,, I better not chat here as people are following James radio unit and wont want to see me just chatting on his thread ,, Take care Kelvin and keep an eye out ,,, Jim

James ,,, neat stuff,, yes pictures really say a million words don't they ,,,, that's some setup you are making and ,,, YES ,, the spaghetti will be all gone !!! amazing really when you think about it. When you finally get there, it will be a nice feeling that "you done it all yourself" ,, and of course you get to use it in your sim.

Your code ,,, yes I think you are right ,, probably too long to post ,, I suppose if some-one wants to have a look-see they can private message you and go from there.

Now the dreaded area of simconnect programming ,, you are finding what I found ,,, the whole situation is not "stable" ,, too many versions of the VB/C# programming language and different .Net frameworks ,, well there's MORE ,,,, there are actually 3 different versions of simconnect !!!!
    To an experienced programmer its a none event but to amateur programmers its just another thing to get your head around. Most of the above are backward/forward compatible admittedly but there are suttle differences and traps that the programmer needs to take into account if he is going to share his work.
    All in all ,, its very frustrating ,, especially when we just want to do one thing but we need to learn a whole language and use a programming system that is far more complex than what we need.
    Real good places for simconnect stuff are ,,,,
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/inde...ory:SimConnect
    http://forum.avsim.net/forum/255-ms-...connect-forum/

No doubt you probably already found them, but there is some good info out there.
    Thanks for that link to beatlesblog.simconnect ,, I hadn't seen that so I'll have a look see.

Hang in there though James ,,,, Jim

9. Thanks wannabeaflyer thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Well, here is the code and a quick overview of the wiring modeled towards new comers, like myself. I did not realize, until now, that I could upload more than a jpeg. I still don't know how to post an image and the link. Oh well, I'll get the hang of this forum stuff yet!

Anyhow, thanks again Jim for the links and support.
    Charlie-Plex_Final.jpgRotaryCOM1.zip

Returning back into the hangar,
    James

11. Thanks Sammy-E, Jim NZ thanked for this post

Thanks for that James ,, and as far as uploading files go ,,, I didn't know that either !!!
    Aaaahh you learn something new every day.

Heavens to Betsey ,,, that's some coding !!!! Excellent stuff and the diagram too ,,, a real good inside to what your up to and if some-one else wants to go down the same design ,,, its all there.
    Thanks heaps James.

Don't stay in the hanger too long ,,,, it gets cold and dark in there.. LOL

Keep us updated with your progress James ,,, You seem to have your finger "well and truly" on the pulse. I can "smell" success in the wind.

Cheers ,,, Jim

150+ Forum Groupie

In my haste to release the wiring diagram, I erred in the placement of the 10K resistors. They are pull-down resistors - not in series with rotary outputs. I also failed to include the 50 ohm resistor which is series into pole of the Rotary from Vcc - all reflected below. Oops!

Charlie-PlexJPG.jpg

14. Thanks wannabeaflyer thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    One of the things is a "starter" tutorial for C# by Brian Gefrich (a guru at gaming programming) he had started a basic toutorial but never finished it. I was going to put it on my webpage but never had the pictures that went with it ,, Brian didnt iether but he was happy for me to share what I had.
    Just to prove nothing ever really disapears from the web
    http://web.archive.org/web/200801162...ator.com/blog/

16. Thanks JMeller, Jim NZ thanked for this post
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast