1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Very Cheap LED Boxes

I come across this idea some time ago while trying to think of a way to produce LED boxes for annunciators (and very cheaply) and something that you can buy either on ebay or on the high street.

With a little modification, I am pretty certain you can make LED boxes out of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-DAY-PILL-TRA...#ht_1932wt_825

Or cut the ends off of these (around 50p each)..... and you got to eat alot of tic tacs lol!

Crazy ideas, but i bet one would work!
    GA or the Highway!

2. Thanks Ronson2k9, skino thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Re: Very Cheap LED Boxes

You are the man... OMG.. I was thinking of annunciators for a few weeks now for my gear control. Not the using of tic tac box but I even have an orange one around here that I know should be perfect for this. I'm thinking with 2 of these you could make any size box so long as it's smaller then the TicTac box

Thanks much for the tip..
    Ron

A few other thoughts on this seeing as you've posted up this cool idea. Reid (AKmongo) and I have been bashing this about a bit as well. His idea was to use Egg Crate Light Diffuser

They are available at all the big box stores or you can check re-stores (recycled building products stores).

Also if you want the 'real thing' Aircraft Spruce has them already lit (lightable) In the US they come in 5 colors + clear and are 14.95 each Legend Lights

For the GA pilots out there you will note the dimensions on the light fixture from legend lights.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: Very Cheap LED Boxes

You do not need to search for a suitable size annunciator box and then puzzle how you fix it. I used 5/6mm perspex cut to a size just larger than the annunciator opening. The perspex, with the holes for the leds being stuck to the inside of the overhead panel and the plain perspex stuck to the outside with the legend plate on top. All as shown in this link.

http://www.737ng.co.uk/djb/Overhead%20Article.pdf

Just make certain that you use flat top leds with an output of circa 5000mcd

David

5. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post