Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

EFB (Electronic Flight Bag with mini Keyboard from RII?)

hi, today I've been playing with the computer setup that I am planning to use, you know, updating, synchronising etc etc.... I had a Computer left over and that's why I decided to integrate an EFB in my 737 800 deck. I installed all the software I use for the displays downloaded a few charts, set up a wake on lan function for all my copmuters - now I can start all computers without touching them from this EFB (interesting thing to use!) downloaded skype - figured it would be funny xD - and now thought about how to operate it. I don't want a normal keyboard and a mouse in my Cockpit - thought about a Touchscreen kit but figured it would be too expensive to buy two of them... (I need one for the FMC)

Surfing on Ebay I found these new RII mini wireless Keyboards with an integrated Trackpad and backlighting. they cost about 40$ free shipping and in € that is almost nothing (nowadays... poor dollar) http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4GHz-2-4G-Rii-...ht_3806wt_1141

My idea was to include a little holding into the sidewall right next to the screen where i can take it out - use it and put it back again. for me that seems to be a good solution. What do you think? Does anybody have experience with them? I only saw good reviews ... Is there a better solution?

regards, marc

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Re: EFB (Electronic Flight Bag with mini Keyboard from RII?)

Sounds pretty cool to me. A few pieces of Velcro to hold the keyboard to what ever you are having slide on would keep it from popping out and stop it from rattling about if your mounting your EFD to your yoke? If you only need the Touchpad to do mouse movements with on the EFB then you could just buy a touchpad and do the same thing. With the wireless keyboard you will need to charge/replace batteries periodically. A 'WIRED' touch pad on the other hand is fed via USB power source and outside of the wire which is pretty easy to hide you have unlimited use.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

well the thing is i need to search for the charts because also if i have them all in a folder going through subdivided folders etc just takes too long - what do you mean with efD ? I wanted to insert the screen into the sidewall like this: http://www.b737.org.uk/images/efb.jpg

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...q4/051027g.gif one more (very small) but good pic showing the position

Here's another shot of an EFB on the Pilots side... I'm thinking of using an android tablet with wifi... just need to see what is available for software.

[IMG][/IMG]

300+ Forum Addict

Let me suggest using the Ipad 1 or 2, with AivlaSoft EFB and Instructor Station by Luis Gordo. You will get the touchpad features of the Ipad, and you could use GoodReader (pdf reader) for Ipad to read other charts/maps. However, you likely will not need too since AivlaSoft EFB does it all...

As for the keyboard, Ipad includes that function on-screen, and you could also use the Ipad as a second monitor with your extra computer, by using AirDisplay for Ipad. Thus, you can have the Ipad seeing the other computer (install AivlaSoft on that computer, as well as Instructor Station), and then you could have the Ipad setup to work with GoodReader, and/or as a kneeboard, and/or even be looking at the internet when you get to cruise level. In other words, you would have more options available to you all at the same time and it would all be on one wireless Ipad device inside your cockpit (except for the other computer running outside the cockpit).

Finally, we use two Ipads (models 1 and 2) without any problems. If you would like to see something like this in action go to www.my737sim.com That is not us, but we're doing it exactly as the owner of that website does.

BlueSkyDriver.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskydriver View Post
    Let me suggest using the Ipad 1 or 2, with AivlaSoft EFB and Instructor Station by Luis Gordo. You will get the touchpad features of the Ipad, and you could use GoodReader (pdf reader) for Ipad to read other charts/maps. However, you likely will not need too since AivlaSoft EFB does it all...

Finally, we use two Ipads (models 1 and 2) without any problems. If you would like to see something like this in action go to www.my737sim.com That is not us, but we're doing it exactly as the owner of that website does.

BlueSkyDriver.
    Ouch... that is awesome. I wish I had that kind of capital to invest in two iPads for dual EFB's (of course, with iPad 3 coming out in six months, and iPad 4 in a year, they'll get cheaper - Sorry couldn't resist a jab at Apple)... Before I did that, I'd just buy another computer with two touchscreen monitors for a total of no more than $500 (or two computers). Then I can use any software I want, and put the other $700 towards something else.

You can buy one of those Acer Aspire type computers for $300 and add a 8-10" TS monitor for about $100. That's $400 for a complete wifi (or wired) system.

I bought a cheap 10" tablet ($110) that has Android 2.2. It does everything that the ipad does. It's just not apple. It's weakness is the current shortage of aviation apps for android, but that is changing.

A lot of options for an EFB.

HI ,

is aivlasoft available then for ipad2?
    following the site I cannot find any reference to this .

Greetz Peter
    FS9+PM+AST+opencockpits

Quote Originally Posted by fsaviator View Post
    Here's another shot of an EFB on the Pilots side... [IMG][/IMG]
    Just found that one myself too. I have 2 10,4" TFT screen which I intend to use for the lower EICAS and for an EFB. I wonder if someone has some drawings and/or measurements so I build my own lining with screen.

Thanks in advance,

JWS

300+ Forum Addict

Yes, the Ipads can be a little costly and yes, you can use a computer with touch screens. However, when the sim is not in use, the Ipads get used for everything else... It's nice to tote these around to show off pictures of the sim, or a video, or whatever.

As for the AvilaSoft program, it's actually for a PC computer (desktop/laptop), you have to get AirDisplay in order for Ipad to see it. More or less AirDisplay makes the Ipad to be seen as a second monitor by the PC, but it's wireless and making it great for in cockpit use. You can mount the Ipad to the sidewall or do what the real pilots have been doing, use a kneeboard holder for the Ipad.

Finally, I know this might seem backwards since the program is not actually running on the Ipad; however, it will be only a matter of time before it is a native Ipad program. Also, the FAA has authorized Jeppsen usage of Ipads/Others to be used in flight, so that will make the IPad more likely to get even greater programs developed for it (competition to Jeppsen) with regard to aviation.

BSD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast