Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Project Magenta Getting basic information out of the CDU/FMS

Hi there,

does anyone know if and how it is possible to get data out of the FMS? I only need the departure and arrival airport as well as the estimated time of arrival. That would make it possible to program something like MAP from feelthere on my own. (http://www.feelthere.com/20_map-netw...?product_id=20)

Any help is appreciated, maybe it is possible to catch any data between FMS and ND or FMS and CDU?

Re: Getting basic information out of the CDU/FMS

If you use an FMC, you know what the departure and arrival airports are and looking at the progress page you know when you get there. What's the problem? If you need a route from FS just export the RTE from the FMC to FS and load it into FS (so that FeelThere MAP can read it).

Just my 2 cents.

JWS

Quote Originally Posted by JWS View Post
    If you use an FMC, you know what the departure and arrival airports are and looking at the progress page you know when you get there. What's the problem?
    The problem is that this can not be done by software, you have to do it by hand. You are not going to transfer this data like this.
    If you need a route from FS just export the RTE from the FMC to FS and load it into FS (so that FeelThere MAP can read it).
    Even more impractical, in a real plane no pilot would be happy to copy the data from his FMS so the passengers can see the basic info. It is all transferred automatically. And the estimation of the FMS is still not used, because MAP is taking its own calculations and the wrong timezones from FS.

So I need a way to read out the data via software, I don't mind if it is a file, an offset in FSUIPC, or a TCP/IP port to ask for.

There is a lot that real airplanes have and we don't. If MAP uses the wrong timezones, why use MAP? Anyway, my best guess is exporting the route and using that. Can't think of any thing else.

JWS

There is a lot that real airplanes have and we don't. If MAP uses the wrong timezones, why use MAP?
    Well as I said before, writing something own which directly handles this data and has its own way of presenting the information. Btw. it is just one reason not using MAP. And I guess that if there would be freeware/open source software for this purpose, people would like it. Look at jeehell, the vasFMC and a lot of other unnamed programmers that put a lot of effort into this.

And all people I contacted until now, even if they are developping proprietery software were happy that their interfaces, programs or whatever became more interesting with interfacing to the outside. There is also the pmInstructorstation floating around, which is not programmed by PM as far as I know. Therefore maybe if not possible now, it could be made possible for the future.

Programmer

The Prosim737 FMS has an XML gateway where you can extract all information from. This can be used to write external applications.

Quote Originally Posted by metamarty View Post
    The Prosim737 FMS has an XML gateway where you can extract all information from. This can be used to write external applications.
    That sounds good, thank you marty, but I am searching a solution for PM especially, because the guy I am programming this for is using PM right now.