25+ Posting Member bussgarfield's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

OpenCockpits Annunciator Kits

Hi all.

I thought I would just mention a problem that I have encountered to help those that may be undertaking the building of the overhead using OpenCockpit annunciator kits.

Please don't get me wrong, I think the OpenCockpit products are very good but having fixed in numerous annunciators, I have encountered a little problem that could have been eliminated before the instalation.

The annunciator kits come with white plastic pieces that are glued together to form a box in which you insert the LED's at one end and the other is glued to the actual annunciator display. I made up batches of the little white boxes and little circuit boards with LED's attached to fit to them. They were then all glued in place and wired up.

Now this is where the problem arose. I started tinkering with the back lighting for the OH and having got that sorted, switched it on. Surprise, surprise, all my annunciators lit up. The backlighting was actually shining through the white boxes and subsequently showing light through the annunciators. The LED's in the annunciators do over come this but I do not want them lighting up like this when they are off.

So, OpenCockpits, if you read this, it may be prudent to manufacture the plastic parts in black. For any one else considering using the OC kits, I would suggest painting them black prior to the instalation.
    As for me, well, I will have to try and get a fine paintbrush in between the wiring to paint them black.

May be of help to a few of you.

Gary

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: OpenCockpits Annunciator Kits

A small photo is like a thousand words...