Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Arduino and Flight Simulator 2004 or FSUIPC ?

Hey all! I m a very happy owner of an Arduino Uno (Amazing Board ) I would like to use it as a controller for my Cockpit but I have no idea of how to do this ? How to make it to work with FS ? Maybe with FSUIPC but just plug-set-play ?

P.S the first thing will be the Lights Panel of the B737... which scenario can do that? On-Off-On or On-Off ?

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Re: Arduino and Flight Simulator 2004 or FSUIPC ?

Hi Dimitris ,,, Good news for you ,,, I have put together a program to turn Arduino cards into fightsim input cards.
    So,, if you have a Uno, you would get 18 switch inputs.
    If someone has the Arduino mega card, they will get 66 switch inputs.
    Any type of switch will work, toggle, push button, rotary. (Rotary encoders will get added after a while)
    It will work on just about ANY program so if you have a favourite game,, it will probably work with that too. (Although,, no promises)
    You get to choose what action (switch) it will activate.
    It inputs ONLY into the selected program. (You set that)
    It even inputs if the selected program is not in focus.
    No other software needed. (Not even FSUIPC)
    My software is free.

At the moment it is being Beta tested on FSX and FS2004 and a few 'bugs' need to get sorted out so it will take a wee while before it is released. Keep an eye on my website.

It will be easy to get going as I'll put up a page like ,,,,
    http://www.jimspage.co.nz/uno1_interface.htm
    showing all the wiring positions etc so even "non electrical" guys can wire it up.

In the meantime, have a play and get to know how to get a PDE file into the Arduino and what happens inside it.
    Happy experimenting ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

3. Thanks JMeller, vybhav, Joe Cygan thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Thanks A LOT Jim! It seems you are doing a very good job here Thank you so much for your effort, for the moment I m learning some robotic things for the Arduino. I will wait for your program.

150+ Forum Groupie

Thank you Jim for the invite. As stated before, stumbling upon your site convinced to purchase the compact and powerful Arduinos.

I have been doing some extensive reading and performed several successful tests with three inputs and outputs; I believe I have the foundation of the digtal I/O language format understood. I am looking to load up my cockpit with the neccessary rotary encoders for Coms, Nav, etc. However, the research I have found states that "interrupts" (which I still need to learn) will bog down the controller. The other alternative would be to couple a TTL decoder to interface to the 2560.

My primary goal is to sync FSX with quadrature encoders and feedback to 7-seg LEDs. After that hill is climbed, I believe the rest should be downhill - especially with your latest product. I haven't tried it yet - too busy researching the possibilties of the 2560. I missed over two nights of flying to educate myself on this power-house!

Hi and welcome to Mycockpits ,, an absolute bucket of knowledge in this site for anything to do with cockpit building and more.

Sounds like an interesting mission your on and I would say a lot of guys will follow that route when they get settled with the in/outs of their cards. LED's are fine but the rotary encoder bit can be a bit of a "fiddle". Theres two schools of thoughts on using the interrupts, so you are right in a way ,,, depends on how your going to in/out it from FSX. ,,, follow it thru and let us know how it goes.

Once we get other guys tossing idea's around things should be a lot easier for us all and people that might (initially) hold back, would be encouraged by others success'es. This really is an exciting time for us "hands on" builders and the Arduino cards are ideal for that. I got heaps in mind that I will release but I have started at simple things first that will help the "beginner" guy experience the thrill of an active panel in front of them for little cost. Neat stuff!!!

Dimitris ,, Yes no worrys.

Cheers all ,,, Jim

10+ Posting Member

Hey Jim!
    I see at your web site that it works with fsx not fs9 but here you say both What is the correct one ?

Thanks !

Hi Dimitris,, You might have to click refresh on your browser next time you are on my main flightsim page to see the new pages.

Basically ,, the "Link2fs_Arduino_keys" program will work with FSX, FS2004 and just about any program you like.
    What you do is have switchs connected to your Adruino card and when you activate those switchs, it sends preset keystrokes to your program. (You set what the keystrokes will be, or even groups of keystrokes)
    Its main page is here ,,,
    http://www.jimspage.co.nz/arduino_keys_beta.htm

The other program "Link2fs_Arduino_Uno1" is a simple output interface that you have LED's, meters and a piezo sounder hooked to your card and the output to them is driven from FSX..
    FSX only for this one ,,,, NOT FS2004.
    Its main page here ,,,
    http://www.jimspage.co.nz/uno1_interface.htm

Hope that helps clear things up.

Cheers ,,, Jim

300+ Forum Addict

You guys should check out the Centipede Shield (64 digital i/o channels, you can use 2 Centipedes per Arduino) and the MUX Shield (48 analog inputs). This is one of the things I'm looking at. I've built a 16 channel power driver board in order to run incandescent lamps with the Arduino via the Centipede. You can find the Centipede at http://www.macetech.com and the MUX at SparkFun (http://www.sparkfun.com).

g.

I knew you would be "floating around" Gene ,, I know you use the Arduino cards.
    Those shields look interesting Gene ,, good find and thanks for the links.
    Care to start a thread and let us know how things go with your experiment with them. ???

At the moment, I'm sticking with basic in/out stuff to give a new guy something easy to start with.
    Once we get a good "base" of easy in/out stuff for people to use,, the next step will be the real interesting stuff.

Keep an eye out Gene ,,, we could use your skills here when the urge hits ya.
    Cheers ,,, Jim

300+ Forum Addict

I'm kind of time-limited right now with the collimated display project and other things, but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

The 16 channel output board I built was required in order to drive the incandescent lamps in the master caution & BIT panels in the F-15. Between those two there are 74 outputs needed. Because I used TIP-125 power transistors, I can do things like drive relays & small motors as well if needed.

One thing I've experimented with (never got past being a prototype) is using an Arduino as a 6 axis joystick. Using a package called PPJoy, you can create any number of "virtual" joysticks. Using the SDK that comes with it, you can use an Arduino to "fool" a Windows machine into thinking it's a joystick. PPJoy is freeware, but the author would like it if you'd donate a bit to the cause.

At some point it would be nice if someone would create an "air core" shield to make driving those simpler for folks.

For bang for the buck, you sure can't beat an Arduino!

g.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast