Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    75+ Posting Member TobiBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    92
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Airbus Power supply unit 115V/400Hz 3 phases

    Hi guys,

    we aquired some electrically driven seats and would like to power them. The problem: All PSUs I could find were really expensive. Of course one phase units are relatively cheap, but a three phase unit is not affordable, because they are all for professional use in aircrafts.

    Therefore my question: Does anyone of you know where to get such a unit cheaper? Some people told me that the units used in modern drilling machines could maybe be used for this, because they have some kind of three phase frequency inverter modules inside to regulate the speed of the machine.

    I am happy with any suggestion or solution you might have!

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: Power supply unit 115V/400Hz 3 phases

    Quote Originally Posted by TobiBS View Post
    Hi guys,

    we aquired some electrically driven seats and would like to power them. The problem: All PSUs I could find were really expensive. Of course one phase units are relatively cheap, but a three phase unit is not affordable, because they are all for professional use in aircrafts.

    Therefore my question: Does anyone of you know where to get such a unit cheaper? Some people told me that the units used in modern drilling machines could maybe be used for this, because they have some kind of three phase frequency inverter modules inside to regulate the speed of the machine.

    I am happy with any suggestion or solution you might have!

    Search of Variable frequency drive or VFD on eBay. Some of them might get up to 400 hz.

    But these drives does not output sinus wave. I'm no sure your eequipment will work with this.

    Another go is to make your own generator. A three phase motor can be used as a generator if you use it together with som capacitors. You will need a battery to magnetize the windings when you start it up. You will need a 8 pole 3 phase induction motor. (which normally runs about 700 rpm).


    You take one 2-pole 3-phase motor and connect it to the regular power in your house. In my area I have 50 Hz, and a two pole motor will run with about 2850 rpm. This motor can you connect to drive your homemade generator through a pullydrive with gearing 1:2.

    When you nearly run your 8 pole motor at 6000 rpm, It will make about 400 Hz.


    I've not tried it myself, but it should work.

  3. #3
    10+ Posting Member maussuam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    23
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: Power supply unit 115V/400Hz 3 phases

    There are two possibilities to do that electronically:
    1. Convert 230V single phase to DC and than invert that to 115V/400Hz
    2. Buy a Variable Speed Motor driver, which converts 230V, 50Hz single phase to 230V, 400Hz three-phase. Like this one: Motor Driver or this. Then convert it with three simple transformers from 230V to 115V

    A third method (and probably the easiest one) would be to replace the original Motor with a DC Motor.

  4. #4
    300+ Forum Addict


    brianwilliamson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Gold Coast-AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    436
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: Power supply unit 115V/400Hz 3 phases

    Try this site:
    http://www.kenneke.com/
    Regards..............Brian W.

  5. #5
    75+ Posting Member TobiBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    92
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: Power supply unit 115V/400Hz 3 phases

    Quote Originally Posted by cranz View Post
    Another go is to make your own generator. A three phase motor can be used as a generator if you use it together with som capacitors. You will need a battery to magnetize the windings when you start it up. You will need a 8 pole 3 phase induction motor. (which normally runs about 700 rpm).

    You take one 2-pole 3-phase motor and connect it to the regular power in your house. In my area I have 50 Hz, and a two pole motor will run with about 2850 rpm. This motor can you connect to drive your homemade generator through a pullydrive with gearing 1:2.

    When you nearly run your 8 pole motor at 6000 rpm, It will make about 400 Hz.


    I've not tried it myself, but it should work.
    Well I prefer the other methods, I know your suggestion would work, but this is to much mechanics in the electronics.

    Quote Originally Posted by brianwilliamson View Post
    Try this site:
    http://www.kenneke.com/
    Regards..............Brian W.
    I already contacted them several times (thanks for the PM answer before), but they are not replying. But I am trying it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by maussuam View Post
    There are two possibilities to do that electronically:
    1. Convert 230V single phase to DC and than invert that to 115V/400Hz
    2. Buy a Variable Speed Motor driver, which converts 230V, 50Hz single phase to 230V, 400Hz three-phase. Like this one: Motor Driver or this. Then convert it with three simple transformers from 230V to 115V

    A third method (and probably the easiest one) would be to replace the original Motor with a DC Motor.
    The first is what the Kenneke circuit is doing, but as the prices seem to be reasonable, I think the second way should also be possible. About 200€ for the frequency driver, then 50€ for each transformer. I hope that will work, as soon as we gave it a try I will report back, but right now we have other tasks that have higher priority.

    The seats need new cushions and new fabric, after they are back from upholstery we will see further.

    Thank you all for your help!

  6. #6
    25+ Posting Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    30
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: Power supply unit 115V/400Hz 3 phases

    Have you found a solution yet?
    I have a 400Hz generator (motor+generator from a Sim) that might be of help.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: Power supply unit 115V/400Hz 3 phases

    Quote Originally Posted by arnolde View Post
    Have you found a solution yet?
    I have a 400Hz generator (motor+generator from a Sim) that might be of help.
    Hi, Do you still have a 400hz generator available? Email me if you do as I am interested. Thanks... obrycki@yahoo.com

  8. #8
    500+ This must be a daytime job 737NUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    778
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: Power supply unit 115V/400Hz 3 phases

    I have a couple 115Vac 400Hz Inverters that would work great. Sealed and overhauled to new spec. Requires a 24-30Vdc power source. I also have one of those I could sell as well. 45.00 + shp for the Inverter.
    Rob

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    4
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: Power supply unit 115V/400Hz 3 phases

    The first is what the Kenneke circuit is doing, but as the price seem to be reasonable, I think the next way should also be possible. The difficulty: All PSUs I could find were actually expensive. Of course one phase units are relatively cheap, but a three phase unit is not affordable, because they are all for professional use in aircrafts.