10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Open Cockpits CDU with Project Magenta?

Hi,
    I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I can't find any reference in any of the forums.
    I have 2 Open Cockpits CDU hardware which I currently use with FS2004 and PMDG. Would this hardware work with Project Magenta CDU software? If so, would the software allow a reasonable display on the CDU small screen such that the LSK markers are properly aligned with the OC CDU respective keys? Currently this is giving me problems with the standard 'undocking' and moving the PMDG CDU panel which does not really do the job, so I would prefer to go to PM if possible.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Stan

10+ Posting Member

Re: Open Cockpits CDU with Project Magenta?

Hi Stan, I am doing the very thing that you ask with one CDU!
    I have the opencockpits CDU which I built from their kit, button presses controlled using the opencockpits "encoder USBKeys" software downloaded from the Opencockpits site.

The PM CDU software provides the screen image (and logic) which can be positioned on any attached monitor and resized to perfectly fit the CDU aperture. On my setup I had no problem getting a perfect alignment.
    It all works as it should
    The only thing you have to remember is that the usbkeys card provides keystrokes to the active window so you need someway of directing the button presses to the panel you want. You may need to think about that if you are not running the PM CDU software on its own PC.
    Pippo

Quote Originally Posted by stanhargs View Post
    Hi,
    I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I can't find any reference in any of the forums.
    I have 2 Open Cockpits CDU hardware which I currently use with FS2004 and PMDG. Would this hardware work with Project Magenta CDU software? If so, would the software allow a reasonable display on the CDU small screen such that the LSK markers are properly aligned with the OC CDU respective keys? Currently this is giving me problems with the standard 'undocking' and moving the PMDG CDU panel which does not really do the job, so I would prefer to go to PM if possible.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Stan

10+ Posting Member

Pippo,
    Many thanks. I'll certainly be using a PC on its own for the CDU(s) and MCP if possible. Have you any experience of the opencockpits MCP and PM? I guess it's the same assignment task?
    regards,
    Neale

10+ Posting Member

Neale, I am using the opencockpits MCP and PM. It works very well.
    You basically run the PM MCP software minimised and fire up the Opencockpits MCP hardware connecting with the OC SIOC software. (all the scripts and software are provided on their site}.
    You can run it on any PC as it all connects using FSUIPC
    No hassle with keyboard inputs or anything like that as its all done by PM offsets in the SIOC script.
    Mike

Pippo,
    Many thanks. I'll certainly be using a PC on its own for the CDU(s) and MCP if possible. Have you any experience of the opencockpits MCP and PM? I guess it's the same assignment task?
    regards,
    Neale

10+ Posting Member

Many thanks Mike.....I'll download all the demo software this weekend and make sure all the hardware is working with PM. I know it's expensive but probably the most professional solution. I'm glad for all the help on the forum in people who've already done it...
    thanks again Mike

500+ This must be a daytime job Boeing 747 Flyer's Avatar

Many thanks Mike.....I'll download all the demo software this weekend and make sure all the hardware is working with PM. I know it's expensive but probably the most professional solution. I'm glad for all the help on the forum in people who've already done it...
    thanks again Mike
    Yes certainly! PM + Opencockpits = A great mix. They work very well together.

Personally, however, I'm a 767 jock, so I use Nico's awesome Lekseecon software to link my Opencockpits hardware to FSX.

Jack