10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Opencockpit PCB's

Quote Originally Posted by hyamesto View Post
    Me again:

Just remember about the Encoders to Mastercard board.

The original Mastercard only accepts 1/4 cycle per detent type encoders.
    The Encoders to Mastercard accepts 1 cycle per detent type encoders.
    And a new firmware to Encoders to Mastercad, accepts 1/2 cycle per detent type encoder.
    Here is the 1/2 cycle per detent type encoder hex file for Encoders to Mastercard Board, with some manuals....

https://mega.nz/#!2pISiaTK!blplucGId...ziNtNeaeXcCMdA

I hope this is all... but who know?
    Regards.
    Horacio.
    Wow thanks to all this is a lot to take in at this time I don't know how to make sense of it all but I will get there. I really do appreciate all the help and info from all. For now I just want to get started and have a switch work and a LED light up. Wanted to start with the master card and start from there to learn step by step the Opencockpits boards and software but now it looks like there is two different MasterCard? And Horacio just introduced the idea of the other board of Peter to me now I can't decide? Help what will the best option be for a beginner. I don't want to do it all over again. I started building the FSBus boards and struggled for a year to try and program them but soon realized that there is no support system for them and programming is not my forte! With Opencockpits boards they are well documented and you have gr8t Guy's like u that is willing to help somebody like me.

I have all all the gear to build a Gr8t sim but can't get even one switch or light to work. So I decided to go with Opencockpits boards because there is a lot of YouTube videos and documents to explain to be how to do things. But I like the whole concept of Peter's board and just want to know is there enough documents and support for me to take the leap from the Opencockpits boards to his?

I just don't want to invest in another set of electronic parts and time just to start over again. Please what will u Guy's suggest to be where should and with what should I start.

thx for taking the time to help me.

Sean

150+ Forum Groupie

Sean:
    Take it easy....

There is only one Mastercard from Opencockpits. You need too the USB Expansion card from Opencockpits.
    The Mastercard is the way to connect push buttons, switches, and encoders (72 inputs)
    Every switch or push button need 1 input. Encoders need 2 consecutive inputs.
    For outputs, the Mastercard can manage 64 outputs (individual leds, relays), and by adding another card (Iocard DisplayII Multiplexed) you can manage 16 7-segment display led for every Iocard DisplayII card. (The max number of Iocard DisplayII per Mastercard is 4).
    The USB Expansion can manage 4 mastercards and has 4 axis inputs.
    A single system. 1 USB Expansion+Mastercard+DisplayII and you can manage 4 axis, 72 inputs, 64 outputs and 16 7-segment displays.
    If you need 16 more 7-segment displays, add another DisplayII card to the Master, an so on until max 4 cards per one Mastercard. (64 7-segment led display max per Mastercard).
    If you need more inputs, outputs or displays, add another Mastercard, and so on...
    As you see, with a full system, you have:
    1 USB Expansion+ 4 mastercard + 16 Iocard DisplayII. (thatīs 4 axis, 288 inputs, 256 outputs, and 256 7-segment led displays).

A problem or limit exist with the encoders. The Mastercard only recognized encoders of gray-type code with 1/4 cycle per detent type.
    This is why the Encoders to Mastercard Board exist.
    This board can be used to connect gray type encoders but with 1 cycle or 1/2 cycle per detent type (1 or 1/2 depends of firmware burned on this card).
    Every Encoders Card can manage 4 encoders and need 8 inputs of the Mastercard.

So, that's what I need?? Well.. hard question. Itīs depends of the cockpit you want to build.....
    You need know how many encoders (and what type you get), switches, 7-segment displays, relays and individual leds.
    When you know this, you can begin to build the cards according to your need.......

But, what is FSIO Processor Card from Peter??????

Itīs and alternative to the whole system of Opencockpits described above plus other improvements.
    Using one single board, you can manage 256 inputs, a combination of 128 7-segment displays or 1024 leds (1 display=8 leds), 6 servos, 4 relays and 6 analog inputs for every card. (max number of cards per PC is (Warning: the leds and 7-segment displays are exclusive, every 7 segment led display take 8 outputs)
    By a IOControl program (some type of driver-resident software), this board can connect with FSIO Processor card with SIOC, and add new features, like manage the diferent gray-code encoders (1 cycle, 1/2 cycle or 1/4 cycle per detent) without need of any external hardware.
    I donīt extend more here, read all the data in Peterīs web to understand how to connect the displays, inputs, etc.
    You need one single chip for every 8 7-segment displays, one chip for every 8 groups of inputs.... all by SPI interface.

Do some research, cost estimations, and make a choice....

Disclaimer: i have not tried or built the FSIO Card. Just found it in internet and at least is a good choice to try.

About the other Opencokpits cards, (servos, steppers, LCD, Dcmotors, relays, axes and keys), i think they are the best for home- cockpits. (maybe the Keys and Axes can be replaced for others, like Peterīs FSIO Keyboard for the first, and a Megajoystick with Arduino for the second).

In summary: every system has pros and cons.
    If you want, I can make an in deep analysis for every card.
    Just needed to know what type of plane want to do.
    Just let me know how i can help you.
    Regards.
    Horacio.

150+ Forum Groupie

Just and update:

While I was writing this response, I received an email from Peter to access your newly created forum.
    According to his mail:

"Recently I made some software programs access to Arduino Allowing PMDG data and Events and even connect Arduino to SIOC" ..

Arduino connection with SIOC opens a new world for cockpit-builders as the Arduino hardware is achieved anywhere in the world and at affordable prices.

And by the way, the newly created forum indicates that Peterīs project continues, and is improving by having a forum to discuss any doubt.

Regards.
    Horacio

10+ Posting Member

Thx Horacio

I do appreciate all your help and I just spend the whole night reading and looking into Peters website what a great website and I would love to use his system. I emailed him for all the info and just awaiting his response. I want to start now as I have being waiting for a long time to start doing something. I have 5 weeks starting from now to work on my sim every day, for 5 weeks starting from today. I am an commercial pilot flying for Shell in West Africa and have every 5 weeks for myself to work constantly on my sim.

I want to buil an ATR 42-500 and because it is a product of Airbus it is closely related to all the Airbus types. Most of the systems work like the Airbus.

Thanks for your help man I will talk to you a lot in the future.

cheers
    Sean

150+ Forum Groupie

Sean:
    Sorry for delay in answer.
    If you wanna build all the instruments, the USBservo and USBsteppers are the best choice.
    Of course, you can replace with monitors and save time and money
    For the amount of switches of the ATR 42-500, i suggest Peterīs FSIO or Arduino with Peterīs Arduino2SIOC.
    Keep in touch.
    Regards.
    Horacio.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123