Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wideview setup

150+ Forum Groupie verticallimit's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Unhappy Wideview setup

I use Wide View to show the view from my cockpit, but I have a little trouble getting the screens 100% aligned.
    Either the horizon are not followed by bank angle, otherwise the runway at the bottom of the screen are not 100% aligned. I use the same zoom factor i all screens.
    I know I can move the zoom, heading, bank and pitch in WideView menu, but is there an opportunity to move up, down, right, left, back and forth.

I've tried in the virtual cockpit view, but can sometimes get flashes of the plane on the screen.
    Sincerely,

Claus

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Wideview setup

You mention:
    Either the horizon are not followed by bank angle, otherwise the runway at the bottom of the screen are not 100% aligned.
    If I'm not mistaken, you've got your visuals on 7 independent machines, with an 8th used for the instruments.
    I'll assume that each window is set up with no pitch or bank, and that all have the same eyepoint. If this is not the case, fix this first.
    Can you describe your misalignment a little better? If you're referring to an angular mismatch, this is an unavoidable consequence of individually rendered windows. This can be remedied by changing the way a window is rendered in the sim, or performing a post-render warp to correct it to spherical or cylindrical projection.

If you're using FSX, having a tough time getting your angles and zooms configured and you're sick of trial-and-error, I can help. For a visual aid, take a look at my reply (post#4) to this thread: 2d panning with track ir . Calculate the actual FOV for each window.

With 7 windows over 180 degrees (~25 degrees per monitor), you can probably get away with using Zoom = 34 / FOV, since the error is small for small angles, and the mismatch will hide behind the bezel. I've got a forumula for a more precise zoom setting, but it's not handy at the moment; I'll edit this post with the revised formula later this evening.

Edit:
    Zoom=34/FOV becomes invalid for large angles. Mathematically, Zoom =0.3019/tan(FOV/2). I've tested this up to 90 degrees per window, with pixel-perfect alignment.

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Claus,

This is a link to a post where I helped with Allignment issues using Wideview. It should help with your problem. http://www.wideview.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=946

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

Apologize for my late reply.

I use 8 monitors on 8 simular computer and a second and faster type computer as the master for the display of instruments. The setup have no pitch or bank, and all have the same eyepoint.
    I use FS9.

100% aligned on ground, but in flight when I turn the horizon "brearks"

I hobe to make this setup:

The two center screens are in a strait line.
    Sincerely,

Claus

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Claus,

I would approach Luciano regards the 2 x Middle screens as I think you will find this will be an issue. Usually the reason for the Horizon doing what it is doing for you is the Zoom factor. The zoom does not always have equal settings on all screens in a normal setup but usually only requires minor adjustments. I have a sneeking suspicion that you will find from Luciano that having 2 x centre screens instead of just 1 will pose problems for you.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Hi Claus,

I have a sneeking suspicion that you will find from Luciano that having 2 x centre screens instead of just 1 will pose problems for you.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    Thanks.

I myself have a suspicion that a setup with 2 screens in the center in a straight line can cause problems, so I had a dream about being able to move ViewPoint up, down, right, left, in addition to heading, pitch, bank and zoom.
    The setup is the most ideal for my cockpit, maybe the solution is to angle the two screens so they are not on a straight line.
    Sincerely,

Claus

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Claus,

I have had 2 x Monitors for the front view. I have just remembered trying it. What I did is have 30Degrees for each side monitor but for the two in the middle, you divide 30/2 and have 15Degrees FOV for each monitor. The only problem though with your setup, is that you are keeping the 2 x front monitors straight rather than having them angled as per the degree of FOV. Having the angle of the monitor equal to FOV angle and zoom the same for each monitor, as you know is critical. I will be keen to hear of a fix if you ever find one.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

500+ This must be a daytime job Boeing 747 Flyer's Avatar

Hello Claus,

Probably an obvious one, but have you disabled Head Latency in the FSX.cfg file?

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing 747 Flyer View Post
    Hello Claus,

Probably an obvious one, but have you disabled Head Latency in the FSX.cfg file?

Jack
    So far i use FS9.

I have had a reasonable setup on the 2 middle screens, even if they are on the straight line. but then the next screen is impossible to set, soon I'll try to change the angle between the two middle screens.
    Sincerely,

Claus

Heck.... it's not possible to get a decent result, with 2 monitors on a straight line, so tonight I separated the whole setup, and is started all over again.
    It is possible to move up, down, forward, backward, right and left, if you use the virtual cockpit veiw, this can then be combined with WideView setup menu.
    In the new setup the screens are comming near to the same angle, in all the 180 degrees.
    A shame the first setup didnt work, the new setup it's going to take little space in the front cockpit corners because I have a limited depth and wide.
    Sincerely,

Claus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast