Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level LongRanger's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Cooler Master Storm Scout Warning

I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this post. If it isn't, moderators please feel free to move it.

I'm doing my first ever computer build, and I'm learning some the fine points the hard way. I chose a Cooler Master Storm Scout case based on the large amount of positive feedback on newegg.com, and the assumption that the ATX standards would keep me away from equipment combos that won't fit with each other.

AFTER I read in the manual for the case that video cards more than 10.6" (270mm) long wont fit in the case, I searched and found a "con" buried in one of the 1000+ newegg reviews saying that the larger video cards won't fit. Of course this is AFTER I had received my Sapphire Radeon 6950 video card.

The tale of the tape on the 6950 is 10.75" (273mm)! I thought this might be "close enough" but it wasn't to be. When I attmpted to install the 6950 in the slot recommended by the motherboard manufacturer (Gigabyte), the last 3mm or so of the end of the video card interfered with the spot in the case where the 3.5" drive bay is attached to the 5.25" drive bay.

Nowhere on newegg's or Cooler Master's websites is this limitation mentioned. Even if it were, I couldn't find anywhere the dimensions of Sapphire's video cards! Fortunately, BlackWidow was in the market for a new case, and doesn't have a too-large video card, saving me the RMA hassle.

I now have a Cooler Master HAF 922 case on order. There are no dimensions for this model either, but from the photos it is obvious that there is at least a couple more inches of clearance between the motherboard tray and the back of the drive bays. It almost appears that the case would fit an Extended ATX motherboard, but Cooler Master doesn't claim that.

If anyone is interested, I'll follow up with some photos after I get the system assembled.

Miles
    'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.

2. Thanks BlackWidow thanked for this post

Re: Cooler Master Storm Scout Warning

thanks for your post

-