75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Fs9 multi-monitor setup views will not stay put in full screen

I am running a 5 monitor setup with one projector. The monitors are all for instruments. I am able to place all panels where I want them in windowed mode. When I switch to full screen there is always 1 monitor that will not hold the window placed on it. I have tried all kinds of different configurations and there doesn't seem to be any logic to it. 4 monitors work fine, but when I try to add another panel, it won't work. Even changing which monitors are plugged into which graphics cards doesn't seem to make a diffference. It's not a specific monitor card or panel. I have considered networking in another computer, just to display this one stubborn panel. I don't know if wideview deals with panels or how I would display a single panel on a networked computer. FSXpand would not work for this particular panel. Thanks for the help.

BTW, I have been able to get wideview to work for my projector. I would be writing a tutorial but I am still fighting with this.

75+ Posting Member

Re: Fs9 multi-monitor setup views will not stay put in full screen

So it seems that no matter which way I plug monitors into three cards, I can only get fs9 to save to 4 outputs consistently. I was wonderiing if it was possible to delete the outside view, since it is being displayed on another PC. The outside view seems to "displace" other windows depending on where I put it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

25+ Posting Member

A few words about the hardware you are using and how it is set up might help... Graphic cards? One, two or maybe three of them?

75+ Posting Member

Really a mixed bag of stuff.

3 GPU's:

9800GT
    7800GTX
    8400gs (PCI)

An assortment of 5 different sized monitors.

I'm sort of surprised it works at all. FS9 only shows two of the cards in the hardware menu, but they will all allow undocked views to be placed. There is always one view that will not stay put depending on which cards the monitors are plugged into. Surprisingly, panels will save cortrectly on a card that doesn't show up on the menu. All cards have shown up on the menu at some point, but only 2 of the 3 ever show on the menu.

I have considered using another pc to display the first officer's panel, but I don't know of any software that will let me do this. FSXpand will not work for this purpose because the guages I am using are unusual analogue guages. Is there software that lets you run an instrument panel on a client PC?

Also, is it possible to remove or close the outside view window. It does nothing on my server PC expect pop up in inconveninet places and comsume resources. I also have a theory that it might be part of the issue in placing the panel windows.

Sorry if this is not clear, but I appreciate the help.

BTW, I could simply run in windowed mode and place and resize the windows every time. This would work, but I don't know if it causes a performance hit.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by orwell84 View Post
    FS9 only shows two of the cards in the hardware menu, but they will all allow undocked views to be placed.
    The settings in the FS menu are for full screen display and are not related to the Windows desktop (windowed mode). I have no hard evidence but it seems that there is a limit of two graphic cards for full screen display in FS.

How about running the projector in full screen with Wideview on one PC (client) and the panels in windowed mode on another PC (server)? Another solution would be to cut down one display and also have the benefit of less impact on performance.

75+ Posting Member

I have read about a setup where something like 4-5 gpu's are used in fs9, but they were all the same as were the montior sizes on each card. On each card the monitors were spanned as if one monitor. My monitors are all different sizes and my cards are all different. I think you are partly right though about the maximum number of cards, but how the montiors are set up seems to have an effect. But I think 4 monitors is the limit on my setup.

So my solution was to split one of the outputs which supplies an engineers station and a sort of work station which is where the 737 FMC is. This is how I start the airplane, run the overhead, everything, because I don't have anything else set up. After I start the airplane at the egineers station, I move to the folding chair pilots seat and switch views to what I need in the "FMC monitor. Of course the engineers station is displpaying the same thing, but I'm not looking at it anymore.

I also am using wideview for the front view which works very nicely. I am able to run all my panels in full screen, the only compromise being splitting one output. I may tinker with spanning the monitors on each card just to see, but either way I have an acceptable solution. Thanks for the help.

I still would like to know if it is possible to turn off the outside view on the client PC. You can choose between outside vies; cockpit, tower, top down etc, but there seems to no way to close this window. I would delete it if I could because it is of no use on the client pc.

Thanks again for the help.

75+ Posting Member

Well, I am getting my panel problems sorted out. One problem I am still having is how to get rid of the outside view. It insists on taking up monitor space even though it is not needed. I have tried creating a completely black bitmap to gor behind the main panel guages. Unfortunately, when it is in front of the outside view, all but the guages are rendered transparent. The best I can do is make the outisde view very small. The strange thing is, panels other than the main panels don't render as transparent when placed in fron of the outside view. There must be some way to either delete the outside view or at least cover it with a black background so guages can be displayed. What am I missing?

Thanks, as always, for the kind help.