Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Gear size/teeth question

I'm building a throttle quadrant for a 747-400. I have a certain radius figured out (for the distance to be measured) and the length of travel. How do I figure out what size of a gear I need on the lever and on the potentiometer? Example the travel length is about 12" from the aft limit to the forward limit with a radius, from the pivot, of 6". What size gear should I use so that when the lever travels from the aft to the forward limit, it is one complete revolution of the gear? Is there a certain formula to figure this?

300+ Forum Addict

Re: Gear size/teeth question

Hi do you have a one turn or a multi turn potentiometer and if so how many turns.
    Normally you could use software to ajust
    greetz

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi Jsfboat,
    This is an easy one! A standard potentiometer usually has about 300 degrees of rotation and it is best practice to optimise most of it's travel. If you calculate the actual degrees of movement of the throttle lever you will find it will be somewhere around 90 degrees. In every throttle I have ever made I have used 3:1 gearing - 60mm 60 tooth gear on the lever driving a 20mm 20 tooth gear on the pot. This arrangement obviously gives 270 degrees of rotation on the pot which is ideal. There is a little rotation of travel left on the pot so it isn't driven to it's limits.
    I usually cut gear teeth on the actual lever arm itself to save time and reduce the number of parts required but I can supply you with gears cut to any size and ratio if you need some. I now supply Throttletek with TQ gears and they are all 3:1

Cheers Gwyn (Westozy)
    www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Hi
    Gwyn
    Hope your well
    Question on the gears again, Am i right in saying that in involute if i want a gear that is 60mm diametre & has 60 teeth you have to use a 1mm end mill ? . as i use 1.5
    which gives me a tip tp tip of about 98mm & cant seem to reduce that down. only if i change module to 1.0 then get 62 on the tip.
    Cheers
    Rich.
    I Started with Nothing & ive still got loads left..

MyCockpit Support Staff

Quote Originally Posted by riche543 View Post
    Hi
    Gwyn
    Hope your well
    Question on the gears again, Am i right in saying that in involute if i want a gear that is 60mm diametre & has 60 teeth you have to use a 1mm end mill ? . as i use 1.5
    which gives me a tip tp tip of about 98mm & cant seem to reduce that down. only if i change module to 1.0 then get 62 on the tip.
    Cheers
    Rich.
    Hi Riche, I used those numbers as an example. I usually use 1.5 module with a 1.5mm cutter, a 60mm diameter gear will actually have 38 teeth. My TQ gears are 48T (75mm tip diameter) driving 16T (27mm tip diameter) = 3:1
    What is important is the PITCH diameter, add the two pitch diameters, divide by two and you have the centre to centre distance of the axles! I have made module 1 gears with a 1mm cutter and they work out great.

Cheers Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

6. Thanks riche543 thanked for this post