10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

I caught the bug :)

I have decided that it's time for me to build my own flight simulator and while I hold a private pilot license my real passion has always been helicopters.

My plan is to build a Bell 206 cockpit.

My initial plan is to build the basic flight controls than (if my wife let's me), to add control panels, multi-monitors, etc.

I have two Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joysticks. I see that if I use FSUIP4 I can in effect use the two joysticks for the basic controls. (ie Cyclic X-Y Axis, Collective, Torque Peddles, Throttle). In addition I would have 24 switched (12 in each controller).

I have a background in both programming and also electronics so converting the joysticks would not be the issues.

I have also research other options and like the Hagstom KEAD6 for interfacing the controls and the KE-UBS108 for interfacing switches and other controls.

My question is this.

1. Is using the two joysticks a sound approach or would using Hagstrom products be a more stable way to go?

2. I am also considing adding the DoDoSim module for the Bell 206. Is this a good addon for making the 206 simulator more realistic or is there a better option for that.

I am excited to get started in this project.

Happy Flying

Terry

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: I caught the bug :)

Terry,

Welcome to the forum. Your answers ultimately come from what your goal is. You can make 2 joysticks work, and do fine. People do everything from that approach to fully realistic homebuilt cyclic and collectives.

It is hard to beat this interface card: http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/

It will allow you to add buttons, switches, encoders or axis controls. The support is excellent, as Leo himself is a regular contributor here. I have one, and love it.

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

10+ Posting Member

Thanks Reid for your response,

I looked at the BU0836X and it has everything I need to get things started. I think it would be a lot simplier in the end to use the BU0386X than trying to convert the two joysticks.

At least while waiting for the card I can get all the controls built. I started on the collective last night and have the mechanics for the throttle working. Took me a while to figure out how to do the detent idle but that is what makes it so fun.

One more question (for now). What do you recommend I use when I get to the point of building a led display panel. I looked at the OpenCockpit USBOutput PCB.

Terry

500+ This must be a daytime job

With your background in programming, you will probably find opencockpits a good route. It seems to he very powerful and versatile. I used a phidgets led64 card to drive the warning panel in my cessna. This choice was because the card was cheap on eBay and I could use fs2phidget for a GUI to program it. I am not gifted with programming skills. Probably going to get better at it. Instruments are my next undertaking, and there does not seem to be much better out there for servo and stepper instruments than OC. Will truly be a sink or swim experience.

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...