75+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Singer GA trainer

Well I have finally started tearing down the singer-link ga simulator I bought. I figure its been out in the weather for at least 20 years. The body is junk, all the plastic is brittle. However, the frame, panel, controls, insturmentation are all ok. They are all Aviation grade made with aluminum, glass lens, and so on. So far I have tested the airspeed,rpm,and turn ball gauges. They seem to work on a very low voltage. I tested them at 1.5v dc and they all went full scale. I figure they run on 0-1 volt normaly. If anyone know for sure I would love to know. I don't have any pics yet, my camera broke! It looks like the gauges are the real deal, genuine aviation stuff interfaced with the sim. Problem is, the compass, VOR, & artificial horizon have multiple terminals. Does anyone know how or where I can find pin out or wiring info? Since they all seem to work, I would hate to tear them down to just use the face when the drive motors and all are already there. Any help or suggestions would be great. I will certainly post pictures as I get them. I promise, there will be a lot of them.

500+ This must be a daytime job 737NUT's Avatar

Re: Singer GA trainer

They are driven by mV !! I have designed an interface that will drive these as is. When I get my 3 Gat's I will test them out and report back.

Rob

10+ Posting Member

I'm interested in the interface also Rob, for the rebuild of the museums blue machine with FSX - would save me time if you've already got a train of thought

75+ Posting Member

My mods was this, I couldnt see taking apart perfectly good gauges to just install a servo. So I connected the servo externally to a pot, used the output from the pot to drive the gauge. For dual direction gauges like the vertical speed, I used 2 pots connected to + and - power supplies to drive the gauge in either direction.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to rehab a GAT-1 for the Aviation Museum of Kentucky. The motion system is dead so I have mounted the cockpit on a non-moving base. I have stripped out all the old computer and wiring and have put in a desktop running FSX. I cannibalized a joystick, built an analogue interface and use this with the GAT-1 controls for the controls in FSX. I have added a USB interface for some of the switches. Now comes the fun part, the gauges! I'm thinking of going with the Arduino board, link2fs software and using PWM to run the analog gauges. Not sure how I'm going to run the attitude and heading whether I'm going to go 400 Hz servo or put in a servo that will run with the Arduino and a servo board. I'd appreciate any thoughts. I'd love to share any .INOs that folks have written to go from link2fs to PWM for the gauges. I have the circuit diagrams for the GAT-1 including all the gauges if that might help someone.
    I look forward to sharing any thoughts the group might have on this project.

Brent

Hi Folks,
    I am desperate to get two female and three male connectors for our gat 1. These connectors are d-sub three row,20 pin connectors. If you have any perhaps you will be willing to sell them or possibly trade them for some spare parts that I have.
    Larry Mac Donald...Chapter 44 E.A.A....lm4@juno.com...585-338-7676

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Mac Donald View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I am desperate to get two female and three male connectors for our gat 1. These connectors are d-sub three row,20 pin connectors. If you have any perhaps you will be willing to sell them or possibly trade them for some spare parts that I have.
    Larry Mac Donald...Chapter 44 E.A.A....lm4@juno.com...585-338-7676
    Larry,
    Are these the ones you need? Also I have most of the boards and all of the technical documentation. Interested in any of that stuff?
    Brent
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brent,
    Thanks for the response. It looks like you have the parts I need. Do you have 3 male and 2 female connectors ?
    Do you need any spare parts ? What do you want for these connectors ?
    Larry...lm4@juno.com...Rochester n.y.

Larry,
    Yes, I have the connectors. I'll check and see how I can get them to you. The only things I need now are four of the post lights. Do you have any spares? Are you rehabbing the original computer? The Museums had sufficient corrosion in the wiring that I tore it all out and replaced it with a PC running FSX. I'm in the process of interfacing the instruments in the sim to FSX. Quite a project! If you're rehabbing the original, do you need any of the circuit boards? Also I have copies of the original calibration guide, wiring diagrams, circuit board layouts and tech documents. Do you need any copies of those?
    Take care...
    Brent

Brent, Would you please e-mail your phone number to me. I would like to talk a lot more about this with you.
    Larry Mac Donald...lm4@juno.com