Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Ariane 737 (-700ER) experiences

Hi all,

I have seen a lot of posts on the Ariane company and their 737's which was either very good or very bad. About Activation codes and about the plane which most are very positive About.

Well, even after all that I still purchased it (call it Dutch stubbornness ) because for fsx this is just the one to own.. I have the PMDG 747 as well, but for the shorter flights I would just like to have the 737. Also as I might want to expand my sim cockpit than the 737 is the best do it.

So I thought of writing down my experience with them 2011 style..

Buying it and downloading is all fine and seems very safe.. I knew what to expect with waiting for the acces codes so purchased it during the working days and hoping time would go by faster when waiting for it.. Installing it is very easy as it is just 1 .exe file. Now the second step comes, activating the 737. I fiddled around with fsx for 100's of hours in getting the best setup so I know my way around it, but still I had some problems. There is a very specific procedure to follow in w7 to even get to the point of sending those famous activation codes for them to decipher and send back.. So do read the manual even though if your very experienced..!!
    There are two options for sending the activation code, one in directly sending it by outlook, which is not an option for me as I have dual boot w7 one for normal use and one clean install for fsx alone.. So no outlook there.. But you can send it also as a text file...! Great.. I did that thru my web email.
    So at 23:45 the same day ( merely 7 hours after purchase) i got an email back..
    Very excited I opened it.
    "Policy prohibits them to open any attachments because of viruses.."
    Great! Feeling a bit silly about the situation, but I still replied shortly after their email.. Why give that option and than setup a policy for not using it?

This was now three days ago..
    Because of the bad reputation, I thought to test them as well a little. So every day I sent them a reminder email and asked if I can get the activation codes nicely.. Nothing... No reply, nothing.. I mean, not getting your activation code quickly is one thing, but not responding to any emails is another...

I will sent another update as soon as they either responded or finally given me the activation code and than I can say how the new 2,5 version is... Still excited, but clearly activation is not solved yet..

Cheers,
    Walther van Stipriaan.

Re: Ariane 737 (-700ER) experiences

Sorry to hear about your experience.. it appears they haven't changed much...

"Caveat Emptor" I guess.....

10+ Posting Member

Hi Ray,

Yes, I guess so.. Still very much looking forward to using it, but it is now Saterday and I bought it Tuesday.. Maybe I'm being very impatient? I have now sent a lot of emails including the code again just to be sure I haven't done anything wrong.

The thing that aggrevates me is that your just left at their mercy. If you buy something at a shop, you can drop by and have a friendly conversation... Now you don't get any response at all..

Anyways, I'm sure this will be solved and forgotten as soon as I get the activation codes and can fly their magnificient machine.. For now frustrated..
    So " aequam servare mentem" comes to my mind..

10+ Posting Member

Well, I have received the activation code and an apology...

So it's 4 days, but is it worth it?

Well so far yes.. And I'm saying so far as I only took it out for a couple of quick test drives.. I do have a pretty significant drop in fps, but this might be improvable if I do some tweeking on my part... But for now vs original 737 it drops 7-9fps.. So going from 20fps which is just acceptable in LA intl with serious traffic to now 12 fps average.. Not good! I have tweeked the dislays in the Ariane program, but only got max 1 fps out of it so far.. Again not very impressive, BUT I'm sure that is my unknowing as well for now...! I will need to retweek my cfg file vs these displays settings also.

I have to say that the functionality is really really good..! The options and startup procedures are looking very real.. Like Aligning the systems before they actually work is mandatory before taking off.. Even when the engines are running.. All that's been said by others are indeed true in regards of feel and systems.. Very real very good.. One thing though, the displays aren't that good looking..

Will give an update when I have done some more exploring and see what the fps is going to be like plus if I can make those dislays for the cp look better..

Cheers,
    Walther

10+ Posting Member

So the ugly displays is it solved..?

NOPE... And it is safe to say this turned into a SAGA! Yes and NO.. Yes the ugly display is solved as it was me who made the mistake.. So I have done a stupid thing.. Apparently the brightness when turned up at max, makes it really ugly.. So that piece is solved, but now the Tech upgrade is still needed as no GWPS function is there.

* Now I will be the first one to admit if I have done something stupid or didn't read the manual close enough.. So if this is the case I will be honestly and openly willing to write that down in my next post.
    But my idea was to write down all my findings as they happen to give a clear picture on what Ariane has improved or not improved since all the posts in the different forums in the past.. And as I'm not called Nostradamus nor do I know how to read the Mayan calander, I cannot predict the future so I just don't know who's wrong.

When looking back at the different manuals you receive with the install ( About 5 or 6 in English), the displays shown there are really much, much better looking.. Even the standard display shown in the manuals is not in comparison of what Im looking at. It looks like the very standard glass display from 1998 with really ugly drawings and colors for the PFD. So the search begins on whats going on.. By the way the GWPS doesnt work either..
    And that lead me to a footnote! That the EFIS and GWPS are optional with a TECH upgrade.. But I thought I purchased that as well?? When looking back at their site to see whats been offered again all should be included in this package.. Huh?
    So I had to google it as I dont have access to their forum, because my access needs to be approved by an admin and it is Sunday so fat chance of getting that now.
    I'm not sure if that is the problem solver, but it sure looks like it..
    When Googling the issue I found on their own website that upgrades will be given thru the links sent in the original purchase, so I downloaded the file again and installed it again.. Nothing! Even worse FSX is not closing properly now.. Maybe this is an easy fix ( which I think it is) so I will try to solve that as well.

Waiting for their answer.

Now one thing I will say, I got the access codes on a Saterday. So they are probably very busy and I do respect that they are making up for it in the weekends..
    Also I got my first email rejecting the activation codes at 23.45 in the evening..

Footnote: I'm still very happy with my purchase, but my patience is really tested.
    When you offer something just make sure it is included... Don't let the customer ask for it..

Friends, I will report back when there are new developments.

25+ Posting Member

Hi Walther,

I had the same stubborness and stupidity and bought the 700 X2, the predecessor... Boohooohoooo : (
    Please uninstall and forget about it. Burn the codes and emails also. It is full of bugs and crahes FSX, no other addon does this.
    I uninstalled and it ravaged my FSX, i had to repair all kinds of FX and gauges. Be like the rest, wait for PMDG. They take forever, but they're worth it. Moreover there is Prosim 737 and Posky. I particularly like the Posky 738 tweaked by rob mcAllister.

10+ Posting Member

hey Dion,

Yep we're Hollands..
    Ok, so after your reply and numerous reinstalls of C++/Dot.net/ IOCP server ( Orion737 software) etc.. I thought about the crashing in FSX.. Problem what I saw first was the normal w7 xx.dll crash ( not the UIAutomationCore.DLL I have already added that to get rid of those window crashes in fsx) and sometimes it was the IOCP(??).dll.
    It didnt make any sense at all.. I even deleted the .CFG file and still no cigar, which is absolutely useless in hindside, but was getting desperate..
    So took the plunge and de-installed the Ariane 737-700ER. Crashing gone!
    Works great again when exiting or choosing other airplanes as that's where it got stuck.
    Tried the PMDG 747 and is still good with exiting and everything so it's not that..
    So installed the 700ER again and crashes all over the place.. Plus wasnt able to get to the point of activating it again..

Seriously this isnt looking good. BUT I have seen many times in FSX when the situation is looking grimm, one .dll can solve everything..

So waiting to get access to the Ariane Forum AND still waiting for the Tech upgrade, which makes me a bit angry.. I mean if you advertise it that big than why dont you include it in the download? And I have checked again this is really the 700ER file I got, so not a version before..

Summary after 4 days: ( If you dont want to read the whole story, which I can understand..)
    ** 4 days to get it activated. Still missing the Tech Upgrades which is advertised Big on their website which inlcudes GWPS, EFIS upgrades etc.. And Crashes all over the place when changing airplanes or when exiting..

- Now if you wonder why exiting FSX is so important, well if you save a flight or setting it gets lost when it crashes... Plus your W7 is just stuck and I hate something not working properly..

So up to the next update.. This might be getting a very long story...

Cheers and thanks for the Reply Dion!

Walther

Oh dear... another slow-motion train-wreck courtesy of Ariane...

Walther,
    I wish you the best in your fight... Unfortunately I know where, and how, this is going to end... I'd give you the full background on Ariane, but... at this point... this will just have to unfold and hopefully you will see some resolution.

10+ Posting Member

Hey Ray..

Thanks And yes, today's events werent great as well..

I asked about the EGWPS Display and the literal answer was: " EGPWS Displays work as per the manual. You need to select the right ... better still sir, please locate the manual and read it and it will instruct you what to do. You can find the location on your activation email."

* I have to be honest and say that I thought EFIS was included apparently it isnt.. My mistake, this wasnt advertised as well, I just saw it in one of the manuals as a footnote.. Must have read it wrong..

Anyways so I replied that that didnt help much..! Really the 737 itself is a good product with a lot of effort put into it.. Probably some things will have serious conflicts with others, but Im still hoping to get it resolved.. Although, It now looks like either my FSUIPC or IOCP server is creating these crashes.. Which is crap as I am using both.. But I need the forum access to find out what I can fix about it and I still dont have that either..

I'll see what happens this week to give my judgement on the company itself, but they are not scoring very high right now.

I still have hopes of getting this resolved..

Maybe look into other options any suggestions?

Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
    Hey Ray..
    Maybe look into other options any suggestions?
    Cheers..
    Only one.. ask for a refund. Even if you do get all you need, the product will most likely not live up to the expectations provided in the advertisements, especially after all the "work" you will be asked to put into fine-tuning the thing... The more they can convince you "It must be something in your setup" the better off they are and the worse off you are.

Any reputable company would have given you access to their support forums immediately. There's no reason whatsoever that you don't have access yet. I run www.EllieAvionics.com and give access to our support forums even if you -don't- purchase one of our products...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast