25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

TOUCHSCREEN MONITOR FOR FMC

Hi,

I am looking at touchscreen monitors for use as FMC in my pit.
    There are a few on ebay for very cheap.

My question is would the following work with my PC?

I have 2 cards in my PC, 1. ATI 5870 and 2. EVGA 2600GT.

The touchscreen I am looking at is the following:

Thanks,

Taufeeq

Hub Data911 12.1 Inch Touch Screen Monitor

Working - 100% Guaranteed not DOA

Up for bid is (1) one used Data911 12.1 inch touchscreen Sunview monitor for your car, RV, boat, etc. This is a 12 volt SVGA with a display resolution of 800x600 in 16 or 32 bit color.

These monitors are super bright and viewable in direct sunlight and have a viewing angle of + or - 60 degrees. They were designed for the public safety industry and were pulled from state police vehicles for upgrades. Fully compatible with M5 or M6 MDS2000 mobile data systems or you can purchase a LVDS to VGA converter and use this with your own computer configuration.

The monitors have 3 inputs:

(1) 12 volt plug (ground and positive +)

(1) LVDS input (manufactured by 3M)

(1) 3.5mm stereo audio input.

there are four mounting bolts (unknown size) on the rear of monitor for easy mounting to whatever you need it to.

The monitor has built-in speakers, a dimmer knob on left side of casing, and a switch on right side of casing (used to power on/off M5/M6 computers)

The Touch screen feature is driven by 3M Touch ware drivers. I have many of these monitors that I will be listing in separate auctions and as combos with M5 computers. Please check my other auctions for details.

This monitor has a built-in safety feature with fan to prevent overheating.

Extent of Testing:

I personally tested these monitors myself to the following extent:

1. monitor was hooked up to an M5 MDS2000 computer with a 3M LVDS cable, a power harness and a 3.5mm cable.

2. through Windows XP Pro SP2 with 3M touch ware drivers, i calibrated screen (finger mode)

3. tested dimmer knob, from dark to bright, no issues

4. played mp3 file through windows media player to test speakers, no issues.

5. I did not attempt to let these monitors overheat to test the built in fan that is activated only at extreme temperatures.

The winning bidder will receive a monitor with no pixel burns, a working speaker and dimmer switch. This auction is for (1) one monitor only. No cables or other accessories are included. I only have one set of cables that i use for testing purposes and they are not for sale. The LVDS cable can be purchased directly through Hub Data911 or through 3M authorized resellers. The audio cable is a standard 3.5mm male which could be purchased as any electronics store i.e. RadioShack. The power cable is a 2 wire plug (unknown) can be also purchased directly from Data911 or you can build your own.

These are used monitors, there are obvious signs of scratches, scuffs, etc. Cosmetically, I rate these monitors from good to fair. The monitor(s) pictured are only an example of the many units I have. The monitors I am selling only differ by the "data911" logo on front of screen. It may be red or black.

Re: TOUCHSCREEN MONITOR FOR FMC

Hi!

For this monitor type, you need an interface card which transforms the VGA or DVI Signal output of your graphic card into a LVDS-Signal -the input of your Monitor. I can't see how the touchscreen is interfaced, perhaps the "special 3M cable" also has a USB or serial connector (I would ask the vendor). I think this will work.

Regards
    Bastian

25+ Posting Member

Hi Bastian,

Thanks for the clarification.
    However, I have read online that if you plan to use it in a single PC, then you will not be able to use it as there is already a mouse. The touchscreen is detected as a mouse by the PC, and therefore will not allow 2 mouses.

Is that true as per your experience?

Thanks,

Taufeeq

Hi Taufeeq,

I just tried it with my Windows 7 computer. Two mice works perfect. I think using a mouse and a touchscreen at the same time also will work.

Regards,
    Bastian