Like you I'm a sim jockey only (so far). I have a thing with my right eye (it's 20/400) I would require Lasik surgery to correct it. The next exam I have and that will be soon I'm looking into getting that done if possible. Don't know if you fly online yet VATSIM but once you go there you will probably never want to go back. You can go to fltplan.com to make your flight plan. It's good to register (it's free) as you can put in your own aircraft (otherwise there is a generic list to choose from). It will generate a plan you can use in VATSIM.

With modern equipment you will find that you still need VOR as a back up to your GPS units as that is not always available. GPS is much better then it was in previous years but if you know how VOR works and can use it it's like a warm blanket should your GPS go dark. So it is a fading skill but still good to have.

Being a bushman. I chose scenery but I fly with amphibious floats so that gets me pretty much anywhere. I can in theory even land on snow/ice if need be although that's not recommended (in a real plane). Of course in the sim I can 'transform' the plane into a ski version. Staying true to simulation though you would never do that during a flight. I've devoted much study to float/amphibious ops. I got a couple of books on the subject. There is also a great deal of info online too. Books take all the hunting out if though and there are many times I want to get away from the computer and read.

Also in the bush there isn't to much traffic. I do fly in the USA mostly though as the VATSIM network is pretty active over the US. Being a single engine I fly this bird Carenado's C185 Bush FSX I'm also on the low air routes so I'm out of the heavy traffic most of the time. I encounter waits at times at larger airports but for the most part it's pretty clear of traffic. Just like being here though it's nice to see others of similar interests when flying. I have a great admiration for those that build the heavies and I'm always looking for ways to improve both my sim and those of others. I'm pretty computer savvy so I do what I can to help others around here too. There are many that are much more knowledgeable then I though.

I'll fire off a PM to you with more particulars about my sim.
Ron