Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Opencockpit and usb output

Genuine Airbus annunciator bulbs run at 5V @ 115 mA; from what I am reading here the Opencockpit USBOutput card may be an appropriate interfacing solution?

The website states each output can support up to 500 mA, with a maximum of 2.5 A for the board.

Thank you.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

75+ Posting Member

Yes you can do this.

However, to protect the Outputs card, rather than running bulbs directly from the card I use DC power from the outputs card to trip relays on a relay module. The modules use 12vDC minus to energize each relay, that allows you to use 5v- from each Output on the opencockpits card with a diode in line to protect the opencockpits card. This also eliminates any USB connection problems to the card cause by the light bulbs and the relays allow you to control any voltage type or load. The relay modules also give you the option of using normally open or normally closed circuits for each bulb. For example, I run all power to the sim though normally closed master relays and if SIOC sees that all power is off in the simulation then it opens the normally closed relays providing you with a dark/cold cockpit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Channel-5...sAAOSw4shYBRmN

I also suggest you place jumper 1 & 2 in the open positions on the USB Outputs card so you can power the card with external power and run the bulbs with external power rather than via the USB 5v

Quote Originally Posted by OmniAtlas View Post
    Genuine Airbus annunciator bulbs run at 5V @ 115 mA; from what I am reading here the Opencockpit USBOutput card may be an appropriate interfacing solution?

The website states each output can support up to 500 mA, with a maximum of 2.5 A for the board.

Thank you.
    Home of the world's first South American DC-8 jetliner.
    Home of the Blue Angel F-4 Phantom simulator.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Cheers for the detailed answer dc8flightdeck -- will also look into relays; and it seems they may be able to provide the appropriate current for each annunciator/push button?

From what I have been investigating dome and glare shield are the only lights triggered with Bat 1+2 (no ext or APU applied), and this would be useful to use from a cold and dark state.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12