25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Need Multiple PC's?

I'm currently putting together a Piper Arrow sim. Definately not as complicated as some of these airliner sims I'm seeing here. It seems everyone's running multiple networked pc's to run their sims. I'm planning on using eight Opencockpits USB cards running FS9 and two video cards displaying on three monitors. Eight USB connections doesn't seem that extreme considering you can get 8 - 10 port powered USB expansion hubs. My PC is no dog (originally built for video editing), but at what point do you know you need multiple, networked pc's? So what are some of you guys running?

Re: Need Multiple PC's?

Marsh

The best thing i can tell you about needing multiple Pc's is what type of software you are using in addition to FS. For example if you are planning on using Project Magenta GAGC to replicate a Garmin 1000 in your cockpit I would recommend two additional PC's. One for the PFD display and one for the Map display. If you plan on using FSXpand then one PC with two monitors in addition to the FS PC would probably be great. If you plan on building your own gauges like that described in Mike's excellent book "Building simulated aircraft instrumentation" Then the FS pc might do just fine. Give us a little more detail on what you plan for gauges and other software and there will be lots more help.
    Mike G.

25+ Posting Member

I'm planning on using Opencockpit I/O cards.
    1 Master, 3 servo, 2 stepper, and 2 LCD display cards. (8 USB connections, plus 2 more for mouse & keyboard) Cards will be plugged into a 10-port USB hub and powered off a separate power supply. From my understanding, the programs I'll be running on the PC are FS9 (of course), SIOC, and Controlador...not 100% sure on all of that until I get more into the build. No fancy cockpit gadgitry like the gps unit...for now. I'm planning on modeling up a 1970's to 1980's era piper. I guess I can always start with one PC and see if it can handle it all. My hunch is much of the computing power to run the servo's and steppers is on the I/O card's microcontrollers and the Controlador software just passes info to the correct I/O card.

Marsh I had asked a question on this forum awhile back that might help you. Here is the link http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...ght=#post96135
    Mike G.

25+ Posting Member

Thanks BlackWidow,
    That seems to confirm my assumptions on how the I/O cards & PC share and crunch data.
    I think I'll be ok running one PC.