25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Help needed for GeForce 9800 GX2 and FSX

Hello Folks

I need some help please:

I have the 9800 GX2 with XP, and tried to run 2 projectors to span the view but with limited success. Issues are:

1. I can run the extended view only on the FSX cockpit layout but not the outside view.

2. When trying to go to full screen - it goes back to one screen.

3. From the graphic card data - it says that this card can do spanning with XP only - but for some reason it can't.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to run a span view (stretch the main view across 2 projectors) with this card ?

2. Does anyone out there use the 9800 GX2 - with this option ?

3. Can FSX be run on this card with "full screen" on ?

3. Is it possible to get rid of the cockpit MIP, MCP etc and stay with the outside view apart from using the "w" key ?

4. Is it possible to use somehow the "undock" window - stretch it and fix it again ?

Have invested lots of $$$ on this card - hope I can pull it off somehow without getting the DualHead2go...

Many thanks

Isaac

25+ Posting Member

Re: Help needed for GeForce 9800 GX2 and FSX

Hi Isaac,

1. Only in windowed mode, not fullscreen.
    2. Possibly in windowed mode? Anyone?
    3. Yes, but you can not stretch a view across monitors in full screen mode. You can undock views and place them on a monitor of your choice and they will "open" in that monitor only in full screen mode.
    4. You lost me here. What's wrong with the "w"-key?
    5. Why? You can stretch a docked view but will anyway be limited to the "main" view and the monitor in use.

If you explain in more detail what you want to achieve I'm sure you will get tips and suggestions.

Regards,
    Henri

EDIT:
    BTW this should be on the computer hardware area

25+ Posting Member

Hello Henry

Thank you for your quick reply.

What I want to do is to have the front view of the FSX (without the cockpit layout) stretched (spanned) across 2 projectors. To make it simple - I want each projector to project "half" of the front view - so having a wide view. Since my card has 2 processors - I wonder if each one can produce half of the picture.

Another way to describe it - as the Matrox Dual head takes one output and strech it into two monitors - I was thinking of having it the other way around = each "head" will give half the picture to get it spanned.

I have no idea if this can work - I know that the card does support spanning (only in XP though) - but it may be that the FSX does not allow that.

Hence I need some help

Cheers

Isaac

25+ Posting Member

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for clarifying. However, you don't mention anything about instruments. Do you want the projectors to display instruments too or do you have something else in mind?

Yes, your card (and Windows) supports desktop extension over multiple displays. This feature has very little to do with FS.

It looks to me that your best solution is to get a TripleHead2Go. Yes, Triple, because you can use only two monitors (projectors) with it and it works like the DualHead2Go. The benefit is of course that you can later expand your visual system. By using the Matrox your graphic cards other output remains available for a monitor to run the instrument panel on.

Regards,
    Henri

I love my triple head to go. I went away from the projector and now use 3 oled screens.

You can only span the fsx window across multiple screens in windowed mode, successfully. But you may see a performance hit because of how graphics card, memory, bandwidth work. I have a 9800GT that powers 2 of my mip screens but that only shows avionics so no big deal. Fsx visuals is another beast.

I'm not sure on using two screens with the triple head. If I recall it will still draw stuff onto the third screen, even with no monitor connected. So windows thinks you have a screen there but there is no monitor. While not a problem it can become a pain if say a window gets drawn over there, then you have no way to go to it, unless you connect a screen to it. Or use a monitor switch. But 3 screens are better than 2! I have 3 for my forward facing visuals and I love it.

Matt

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by my737sim View Post
    I'm not sure on using two screens with the triple head. If I recall it will still draw stuff onto the third screen, even with no monitor connected.
    Hi Matt,

I have tested the Triplehead (Digital Edition) with only two displays and it works. It's just a question of configuring the modes properly in PowerDesk.

Regards,
    Henri

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Isaac,

Have a look here, http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/ It is Freeware and this is being used for FSX and I have tried it. It does work well and it also works with fullscreen. 2 x Monitors from one PCI-E card and an extra PCI only card is required to achieve the software version of TripleHead2Go. There is also a Forum there with plenty of advice.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

25+ Posting Member

Hi Henry

I am buiding a full 737-800 cockpit with PM and FDS stuff mainly - so all I need is the main front view to be stretched across the 2 projectors. What I want is to be able to split any desktot view across so each will give half of the picture. The card says is can do it - but I don't know how

Matrox triple is a good idea however I have a very confined space so I guess 3 projectors is not an option right now - but it is good thinking - perhaps in the future I will do 3.

Thanks again for you assistance

Isaac