25+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Non Specific cockpit.

Hello Everyone,

I have been viewing the website over the last month or so putting together my ideas on how I want to proceed with a cockpit. I am not trying to build an aircraft specific cockpit but one that will work with the different types I like to fly. One of my biggest frustrations is the point and clicks required while flying some aircraft. Also, it will add to the enjoyment and feel of realism.

Generally I feel I should start with the simpler controls and then move on to the more complicated designs. I already know I am going to order a few of Leo's BU036X USB cards. I say a few because my Dad flys and he wants to build his own cockpit also. This will introduce me to using the card and working in the registered version of FSUIPC. I will start with a Lights panel, gear selector lever, flaps, mags, starters and so on. I do not see me having any issues in that department. One area I need to read up on is what is the best board to give me feedback back to instrument panel indicator lights such as gear condition lights. Those do not indicate "down and locked" right away as there is a delay until they are in position. I could put a timer in the circuit but I would like to use this as a time to learn more about the communication back and forth between the software and hardware.

I will admit when it comes to radios or TQs I need to do more research. I like the layout of the Airbus\RJ TQ I saw at Kennair's website. I will look further into that type of setup but I can definetly see something similiar to that in my simulator.

Radios; I will take two paths. First I will use encoders to control them while still looking at the screen to determine the settings. Then either buy or build radios that have the channel displays built into them. Basically depends on cost to build from scratch versus buying. Even though I am not a fan of the look of Saitek products it may be the best fit for what I am doing.

I might buy an already made airliner MCP from someone. My only concern is, will it work across other aircraft types such as a Cessna 185, Seneca, Lear Jet or King air? Basically it is the autopilot but what limitations would i encounter? Also, is there a generic MCP available that I have not found yet? Yes, I realize Saitek has one but unless I am mistaking it does not use mach numbers that jets would use during flight.

Yoke and rudders are CH products and will work for now.

Visuals: I have several monitors right now and plan on using them. My plan is to use one or two of the monitors for instrument display and the other for outside view. Down the road I would like to go with a projector setup but for now my 22's will work just fine.

I will build the switch panels modular so I can repalce or expand as necessary. The switches do not need to be specific aircraft switches but I will try to at least mimick the type of switch.

To me that appears to be a good start. Its hard to nail down specifics about some of this when one does not know enough about the input and output requirements. First desgin the panels and implement the basics and see how far I can go. Once I have that implemented I will look at the more complicated parts.

One last concern of mine, that I have ignored, is the software programming that some of you mentioned when designing your own panels. That will be a major factor in which way I head when it comes a time to work with that. I have no clue about programing software so there will be a learning curve for me.

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions. In my head I know what I want and it does not need to be perfect. However, it does need to be functional and adaptable.

Thanks,
    Jake

Super Moderator

Re: Non Specific cockpit.

Hi Jake, Welcome to mycockpit!

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Hi Jake, It seems you have your route all planned out, and i can't fault it. Carry on doing the research and you'll do just fine.
    You'll find as time and finance allow you will improve your sim each month.

We will all help you along the way anyway so theres no worries on that score.

Keep up updated, and i would be great to see some pics.

Best Regards
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

25+ Posting Member

Thanks,

I feel its planned out at a high level but decision concerning the details needs to be worked out.

One of the items I am ready to move on is the MCP. Does anyone have experience using the airliner type MCPs with the smaller GA aircraft? Airbus or Boeing is fine.

25+ Posting Member

Hey Jake

Like your self I am building a Non-specific but what I would call a hypride version the one thing I can tell you is this, you can draw and plan all you want but when it comes down to the details and how it going to work I found that making the basic parts and build from there you are going to change it many times before you will get it right, I am working on the avionics screen right now and the panels to work with it but I have the basic cockpit design down. And I know I still have so much more to do before I am done.

I am building a generic (Non-specific) sim. I dont have much in the way of a "whole cokcpit" but I do know, as stated before, that as you go on, the design will change. You will come to a place where you think you are happy with what you have, see some panel on Ebay, or what someone else has done, and realise that you want to do that to....so much for the first plan, on to the second. I know this, because I am on plan No 4. There in lies the danger of a generic sim, there is no end point.
    I'm not replicating anything, because I like to fly everything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG1LP3xxn0Q

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPERCDN View Post
    Hey Jake

Like your self I am building a Non-specific but what I would call a hypride version the one thing I can tell you is this, you can draw and plan all you want but when it comes down to the details and how it going to work I found that making the basic parts and build from there you are going to change it many times before you will get it right, I am working on the avionics screen right now and the panels to work with it but I have the basic cockpit design down. And I know I still have so much more to do before I am done.
    Keeper, Yeah I do not see this sim being finished this year or next year and so on. The plan is to learn, build and fly. I see it morphing over time while I learn more. First learn inputs then move on. The TQ and MCP are the only two things I would like to get right the first time. All other items will develop over time.

Quote Originally Posted by gokhotit View Post
    I am building a generic (Non-specific) sim. I dont have much in the way of a "whole cokcpit" but I do know, as stated before, that as you go on, the design will change. You will come to a place where you think you are happy with what you have, see some panel on Ebay, or what someone else has done, and realise that you want to do that to....so much for the first plan, on to the second. I know this, because I am on plan No 4. There in lies the danger of a generic sim, there is no end point.
    Gokhtit, that is a good point. Reminder to stay off ebay and the forums....lol.

25+ Posting Member

Well first change and I am still putting the plan together. I think I have my questions answered and ready to move forward when another question pops up.

My initial plan was to go with a Leo board then grow from that. One of the reasons was I am not comfortable with the software side that some pf I/O boards require. Well I read some post about FlightDeckSolutions software being easy. I see Gwyn uses and apparently likes it. I have searched the site and it seems that it will work with FSX but I am wondering if it will also work with 64 bit operating systems? Have not actually seen that in writing yet.

Also, When I decide to add radios, MCP and so forth will they plug straight into a computer or will I need to purchase more boards.

I think you are getting the drift....Analysis Paralysis.

lol

Jake

25+ Posting Member

Hey Jake

I just got my board from FlightDeckSolutions, and picked it up my self, I have the software running on my 64bit system but have not done to much as I am still working on the desk.

The one things I will add is I am have put the desk together and are not working on the mods to the desk now, I really need to look at building my own chair for my desk, but I like say build the basic and then mode from there unless your doing an exact rep of a plane.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPERCDN View Post
    Hey Jake

I just got my board from FlightDeckSolutions, and picked it up my self, I have the software running on my 64bit system but have not done to much as I am still working on the desk.

The one things I will add is I am have put the desk together and are not working on the mods to the desk now, I really need to look at building my own chair for my desk, but I like say build the basic and then mode from there unless your doing an exact rep of a plane.

Thanks Keeper,

That was one of the questions I was trying to get an answer to but could not seem to find it on their site. I like the boards and the ease at which it can be programmed. Looking forward I will want displays but its my understanding the FDS system will not currently do that. At this point I do not need it but I am just trying to think ahead.

Thanks,
    Jake