Thread: IM NEW!!

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

IM NEW!!

I am 15 years old and I have always loved flying so I have decided to build my own cockpit. My first question is where can I find out all of the information that I need to build the simulator? Also which aircraft do you think would be the best for a homemade cockpit? Where can you get all of the hardware for the simulator? My last question is much does the average one cost??

THANKS!!!

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: IM NEW!!

You've asked several very subjective questions which cannot be easily answered.

There is no central location where you can find -all- of the information you need.

Which aircraft is "best" depends on many things.
    • Do you enjoy low-n-slow helicopters? Fixed-wing?
    • Prop or jet? Single or multi-engine?
    • Do you enjoy hand-flying or autopilot?
    • Do you like digging into all the detailed procedures of cockpit management, or do you just want to get in and fly?
    • Do you have a closet, desk, or entire room to work with?

Much of the hardware is made from scratch. There are several suppliers who sell pre-built panels, throttle quadrants, rudder assemblies and yoke assemblies.

"Average" cost is again very subjective. If you want an all-out jumbo-jet simulator, you're looking at possibly tens of thousands of dollars. If you just want a cockpit-shaped shell with a few extra buttons and switches, you could probably find ways to keep the dollar figure in the hundreds.

Tell us a little more about your interests, and I'm sure you'll find the folks here more than willing to offer you guidance.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

You need to read this forum inside and out and do your own research. Base your questions on your experience of flying a software simulator and only you will know which direction you will need to go. Personally start small, fly small GA aircraft, learn to fly and then move on slowly bit by bit. You will soon know what you want in time as and when you learn to fly software sims. Good luck. Alex
    GA or the Highway!

I would like:
    • Fixed-wing aircraft
    • A multi-engine jet
    • I like both hand-flying and autopilot
    • On of the things that I want the most is an overhead pannel and a throttle quadrent
    • I believe that I will be working with the area in my closet

Are there any websites that give any information at all? And where do you buy all of the switches and knobs??

Thanks!!

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

As I said only you can answer your own questions, you need to READ this forum inside and out and do RESEARCH, we cant just tell you how to build a cockpit, its not like that.

Start here maybe: www.737ng.co.uk
    GA or the Highway!

150+ Forum Groupie

A multi-engine jet in a closet... You'll probably want to focus on bizjets or similar - Start your research there. See what models are available, find some pictures. Airliners.net is a good place to start looking.

Once you've got an idea of what you want, start planning. Ask specific questions.

There are lots of places to buy switches and knobs. Start with a plan, then go look for vendors.