Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    MyCockpit Support Staff

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Aerosim Solutions B737 simulator rebuild

These pics are how I assembled the discs...

Trim-wheel-4.jpg
    Three pieces that make up the main disc assembly
    Trim-wheel-5.jpg
    Superglued and clamped to form the dish shape
    Trim-wheel-6.jpg
    The conical disc for the centre hub, made from the offcuts of the rings glued together
    Trim-wheel-7.jpg
    Machining the disc into shape, there are five parts glued together

Cheers Gwyn
    Aerosim Solutions

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

MyCockpit Support Staff

A little more progress on the trim wheels...
    Trim-wheel-8.jpg
    Trim-wheel-9.jpg
    Trim-wheel-10.jpg
    Cheers Gwyn
    Aerosim Solutions

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go

Hi Gwyn.

I see that you are sticking with the four red atc buttons on the yoke which relate to the default FS ATC system. You have used this method for some time, and I wonder if you have considered Vox ATC? I intend to do as you have done with my FS ATC as I feel that it is adequate enough.
    Do you have sound seperation so that you only hear ATC through the headphones and the other sounds on speakers?

Love your work!

TONY, Plymouth UK

MyCockpit Support Staff

Quote Originally Posted by manhattan View Post
    Hi Gwyn.

I see that you are sticking with the four red atc buttons on the yoke which relate to the default FS ATC system. You have used this method for some time, and I wonder if you have considered Vox ATC? I intend to do as you have done with my FS ATC as I feel that it is adequate enough.
    Do you have sound seperation so that you only hear ATC through the headphones and the other sounds on speakers?

Love your work!

TONY, Plymouth UK
    Hi Tony,
    The truth is I don't really use ATC all that much, on a rare occasion I'll have a go but I prefer to write an follow my own flight plans usually high altitude IFR. ATC complain too much when swoop down to beat up a nice looking valley in the 737!!!
    My sim has been out of action for two years while the business has been growing but I am certainly enjoying getting back into it again. I finished the high gloss black on the trim wheels last night and tonight I'll be masking them up for the white visibility markers. The TQ handles are finished and work on the TQ housing can begin after the trim wheels are done. I've ordered all the parts to make the auto throttle clutches and drives, I'll be sharing this build and design as I don't intend to market B737TQs, there are already plenty available.
    Cheers Gwyn
    Last edited by Westozy; 04-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi all,
    After a few dramas with the spray painting the trim wheels are finished. The first paint I used wouldn't harden and I had to get it all off and start from scratch, what a mess! The second time around I used a tough epoxy enamel, it took ten hours to dry but the result was worth the wait. Drawings are well advanced on the TQ's internals and that will be the next step.
    Trim-wheels-10.jpg
    Trim-wheels-11.jpg
    Trim-wheels-12.jpg

The wheels won't be going on the product list, I think they are in the too hard section!

Cheers Gwyn
    Aerosim Solutions

500+ This must be a daytime job

No such thing as too hard! Just the "an arm and a limb and the life of my first born" category...

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

I have deleted some threads here because as a moderator I believe it was the responsible thing to do. Should you have any further queries or criticisms then please feel contact me, this was done in respect of Gwyns thread. Thank you. Alex
    GA or the Highway!

8. Thanks notgotaclue, Efe Cem Elci thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Efe Cem Elci View Post

No such thing as too hard! Just the "an arm and a limb and the life of my first born" category...
    Genius.........

150+ Forum Groupie

The wheels looks awesome! But - how much do they weigh? If you are going to motorize them (even just for show), a big mass has a big momentum. Not easy to stop...

I have the Simparts TQ (not finished yet), and the resin wheels on that one are not that heavy. I plan to motorize them, but just for "show". A DC motor, a relay card and perhaps a switch activated by placing the flaps handle to zero flaps. The switch then switches between two voltages, simulating the different speeds on the trim wheels (faster when flaps are extended).

MyCockpit Support Staff

Quote Originally Posted by vidarf View Post
    The wheels looks awesome! But - how much do they weigh? If you are going to motorize them (even just for show), a big mass has a big momentum. Not easy to stop...

I have the Simparts TQ (not finished yet), and the resin wheels on that one are not that heavy. I plan to motorize them, but just for "show". A DC motor, a relay card and perhaps a switch activated by placing the flaps handle to zero flaps. The switch then switches between two voltages, simulating the different speeds on the trim wheels (faster when flaps are extended).
    Hi Vidarf,

The trim wheels will be fully functional and driven by a 12VDC cordless drill motor with its own gearbox, it will also act as a brake when
    de-energized, you are right they are quite heavy so I intend to use a soft belt drive which will reduce a shock load when the motor is activated. I fitted dual pole rocker switches to my yoke handles and one side of the switch will energize the trim motors through a pair of directional relays, the other side of the dual pole switch will be the back up trim that can be assigned to trim up trim down if there are any issues with the trim pot, (I had issues on my old PMDG set up where the trim pot operation was a bit vague.
    I have just finished designing and 18:1 reduction gear train which will make the trim indicators work and also a 10 turn pot for trim adjustment. The CAD drawing is now up to about 30 hours but it is nearly completed, I just have to do the speedbrake drive and a few other minor parts. I'm really keen to start assembly. The levers are finished and I have the auto throttle motors and drives ready. I've "cheated" on the flap and speedbrake lightplates by ordering IBL panels from Simparts in Germany, these are 5VDC plug in units that will save some time for me.
    The plan is to launch the beast this coming Christmas then I can re open Aerosim Solutions. I am planning to market the auto throttle drive I have designed for my own TQ, I think it will be a winner like the generic throttle base!

Cheers Gwyn
    Aerosim Solutions