VYPER883

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Opinions on cpu for FSX?

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    I've been having a browse through the threads at FDS that vyper883 started and I have to say I'm impressed by exactly how deep into the software some people have gotten, and the level of tweakage that is possible. One of the problems with all the new gear is that as standards move on, OS innards change, and so something which you might think would make a big difference might not, and vice versa. For example, Vista and now Windows 7 have a fundamentally different display driver model to Windows XP, and FSX can respond very differently depending on the OS and driver. People don't realise how much the driver quality influences performance. A bad driver on super-fast hardware will slow things down tremendously. With FSX having been unpatched for a while now, there's been no work to optimise it to run with the newer architectures. So it's not a case of just throwing hardware at it and expecting that to work.

While I've taken it at face value that FSX is CPU-bound and not GPU-bound, and that any old modern-ish GPU will deliver impressive framerates, people like vyper883 have shown that you can get a major boost out of newer graphics cards not necessarily because FSX needs more shaders or GPU, but because the interaction between the newer hardware and the drivers and the new OSes is much more favourable to FSX than other combinations would be.

It'll be interesting when the hardcore tweakers get around to building systems based on Sandy Bridge. Any volunteers?
    Thank you for the compliments Neil

BTW your profile pic shares an uncanny resemblance to a good friend of mine who works as a programmer, for a reputable software company in Calgary.

Anyway, now you have me itching to get my hands on a i7 2600K. My current system is based on an X58 and a core i7 920 D0 running at 3.8. The plan was, to hold out for the six gun 980X to drop in price. The Sandy bridge looks attractive, I just don't know if I'm willing to give up three channels of memory, which the sandy does not have. I've only done some preliminary research on the new 1155 LGA, so I want to find out more before I make a desision to build an entirely new system. So far though, it's looking promising, and some sites are saying that a Sandy 2600k i7 can hold it's own against a 980x.

Of course it's still just the beginning, and one can always wait to see where the new architecture goes, and what other upcoming CPUs will be introduced into this architecture.
    VYPER883

500+ This must be a daytime job

Quote Originally Posted by vyper883 View Post
    Thank you for the compliments Neil

I just don't know if I'm willing to give up three channels of memory, which the sandy does not have.
    The 9x procs are triple channel, correct? Is Sandy Bridge only 2? What does that mean exactly?
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

25+ Posting Member

The LGA1366 architecture had three channels of memory- Each channel (2 dimms) was capable of running 8GB of DDR3 memory, for a total of 24GB on-board RAM. The important thing here, is that with three channels, you have more memory bandwidth- up to 25.6GB/sec. The New LGA 1155 architecture will be able to run 32GB of on-board memory, when the new 8GB dimms are on the market. Utimately you'll have more memory onboard with the sandy, but a bit less bandwidth- 21GB/sec vs 25.6.

Now, because I am actually reading more and more about LGA 1155 as we speak, I realize that it's not such big issue to lose the extra channel The total bandwidth for the Sandy is 21GB/sec, but the processors new features MORE than make up for this. The i7 2600k can be overclocked in excess of 4ghz on nothing but air-STOCK cooling no less. As the architecture matures, they will be bringing six cores to the table towards the last quarter of 2011.

The 4.6 Gb/sec bandwidth loss, is nothing in the grand scheme of things. And in the real world you, would probably use up closer to 15GB/sec, maybe about 18GB/sec during benchmarking. Both platforms gave excess to spare. (edited)

So far, I am sold on it, and that overpriced 980X is looking less attractive by the second. It would cost me LESS to by a i72600k WITH a new Asus motherboard, than to dish out 1000 bones for a 980X. Everything on a LGA1366 is transferrable to the new system including an existing cooling solution. All you would need is the board and the CPU to upgrade to a current 1366 system.

As I type this, I'm currently reading this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083
    VYPER883

25+ Posting Member

And here is another good read.

Note of interest of how it fares against the 980X midway into the review.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...-917571/review
    VYPER883

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Guys . im trying to follow this thread and finally found my FSX.cfg File but cant fine the Section refered to ref [JOBSCHEDULER] i understand that i need to add the line below
    Enter this:---------> AffinityMask=14
    as mention in a earlier post, have i missed something again i have accelerator loaded and fsx deluxe . just thought i'd try tp maximise my system performace a wee bit Cheers

75+ Posting Member

Just add both lines to the end of your .cfg:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
    AffinityMask=14

150+ Forum Groupie