Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Citation X Build- Help appreciated

Hello All,

I'm a long time reader and have been bitten by the bug... I think it's time I finally get my cockpit underway. I would really like my build to resemble the Citation X but am running into a few issues already. I currently use the Eaglesoft model (have the Wilco but it causes me grief) and I would really like to continue with this bird as it has all the features of the heavies but in one classy, sporty little package.

- Does anyone know if there is a way to undock the panels to my separate monitors once I set them up? I cannot seem to figure out a way to break out the PFD, MFD, EICAS etc. If I cannot get this to work, I think I'm doomed from the start. Currently I just fly in the VC.

- Failing above, is there currently 3rd party software that I could use to power my instruments such as magenta etc? Perhaps just for the EICAS but not sure if it will look remotely like the Citation X and show proper alarms etc- if not, I will be doomed to be driven crazy by the inaccuracy

- Does anyone know a source for Citation X measurements? I have yet to find a cockpit build.

I would like to run a Triplehead2go with 3 monitors for external front view, and a monitor for PFD and MFD (and EICAS if I could run another dual head perhaps) If EICAS, RMU and FMS could be operated on another PC via Magenta style software, it would be great but I haven't found anything yet.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? perhaps I should just build a 737 as there is lots of goodies available, but I am truly loving my Citation X. What a fantastic bird.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Re: Citation X Build- Help appreciated

Hey Whitestar01,

Daniel, new member, here

Its a while since you wrote this, uI just wonder if you got anywhere with this cockpit?

I'm flying the eaglesoft citation as well, and i LOVE it! And lately i've been fantasizing wildly about building a cockpit.
    Its got the performance of an airliner and is semi long-range. But i can still land on short strips if i want that. Perfect!

I've tried the Eaglesoft forums for some general questions about their Citation X and how it would work with cockpit building, but no luck over there. The forums seems almost dead, with little knowledge to details.

I have looked at FS Panel Studio, maybe you can "pull out" the PFD ND and EICAS etc. from there? and make your own panel which would fit behind the frame of the MIP?

Anyone else know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to spending time in these forums

25+ Posting Member

Hi Daniel,

It should be possible but really depends on how Eaglesoft have designed their gauges. If each instrument or the PFD, ND, etc are individual gauges within their panel then it should work. Some developers (eg Captain Sim with the Herc) make a complete panel section incorporating several instruments as a single gauge, which makes life very difficult.

The panel definitions (panel.cfg) can be modified with any text editor such as notepad or wordpad. You don't need FS Panel Studio, although it does help with seeing how the end result will look, rather than looking at a screenful of numbers.

I just finished the panel layout for my F27 (re)build - real flying not a Magenta line in sight . The overhead and sidepanels are on another screen so the switches are accessible for Key2Mouse countrol. Job for this week is to fit the screens behind the real panel. I've also successfully modified the Flight1 ATR72 and Tinmouse 737 and a couple of months ago reworked Aerosoft's A300 onto four screens for a friend, so hopefully it's possible to do what you want.

Cheers
    Jon
    www.g-bvob.net

4. Thanks Danielk thanked for this post

Hmm, i might be posting double now, but seems my post dissapeared? Even though it says last post by me on the main page, oh well!

Thanks for the reply Jon! You're simpit looks really cool

I managed to find gauges for every single screen in the citation cockpit inside a CitationSomething.dll file. But when opening them in FS Panel Studio it crashed, maybe they're too advanced or simply not compatible?

So since im fairly new to this i'm starting with the basics: Can i ''extract'' the gauges from the DLL file?

Can i edit the panel.cfg to make the panel fit on a screen and in the right position according to the cut-outs on the Main panel, when mounted behind it?

Thanks, I really appreciate your help

25+ Posting Member

Just sent you a PM!
    Jon

This might be of interest to you as I am working on getting a mockup model laser cut at this time to test all the parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michael Badger

Wow, looks awesome I suppose you ave access to different cockpit measurements as well then?

10+ Posting Member

I typed up a very lengthy reply but it did not post. Here's a shorter version.

Due to lack of information on the Citation I reverted back to my Lear45 roots I revisited the site Hangar 45 dot net. The group of guys over there is fantastic to say the least. Check out my youtube vids (Shadow549) for some samples of how much I was able to build in a few weeks.

The cliff-notes are:

Software: Jet 45 available for the Lear covering all aspects of guages- works amazing
    Shell: Ron Rollo supplies a complete Lear shell if you want one (I have not yet got one but many have)
    MIP Support tower/Console: All 100% scale plans free onsite (had mine built in days)
    MIP/Glareshield: Available from Tom Goldberg onsite (mine arrived in days, waterjet cut aluminum- Fantastic!)
    Panels/Bezels: Entire backer panel set purchased from Ron (AMAZING!) Electrical panel coming from Eric Tomlin this week. Bezels/RMU's coming from Vince next week- these will be amazing
    Standby Gauge Software: Free from Dave Ault- link onsite
    Switches- Lenses purchased from Ron onsite- Amazing. Switches from Ebay

The entire Lear can be sourced/purchased from members on Hangar 45. Also they make ALL the information and plans (including CNC info) available for anyone to build their own. The hardest part for me was understanding who is making/designing/selling what cockpit components. This just took a bit a forum reading and a few lengthy phone calls to site members.

All the plans are in the reference area.

I was a little disappointed I couldn't stay with the Citation, until I had the beginnings of a complete Lear in just a few weeks. Super glad I switched

Hope this helps.

Hey! I've had some problems posting too, dunno why, one time it said it was pending morderator approval, but nothing happened..

Yeah, the Lear45 community looks really great. I've been looking around at those sites a lot!

But how about navigation? I want a fully functional FMC with updated navdata so that i can fly real routes with SID/STAR on Vatsim, how do you solve that?

10+ Posting Member

This is a bit of a problem. For now I use the Friendly Panels Lear for FSX which comes with a simple FMC/CDU. It wont work well for SIDS STARS. The Jet45 software is developing a fully functional FMC for the Lear to be released soon. This will be exactly like the real one (so I'm told)

Other guys are using VAS-FMC and other stand-alone FMC software with good success. These can do everything you need. I haven't messed with them yet due to my build being stalled due to nice summer weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast