Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

.Net Framework issues. Help.

Think i'm loosing my hair here over this .net framework issue. I've been fine up to now, i want to download Prosim which i've done, but when it comes to installing it says it cannot until a different version of the .net framework has been installed, so i think i did the correct one from microsoft website.

Now my vox atc doesn't work, so i had to reinstall VOX and i discovered that it wasn't working i beleive because a different .net framework is required to run it to what prosim needs so i deleted the other previous versions of the .net framework thinking they where no use.

Anyway i'm back to square 1 with no prosim and voxatc going fine.

I've been looking at some scenery today, and that needs yet another .net framework version to run it.

After stressing out for a while, i've come to a dead end.

Basically i need answers to:

When you install a new .NET framework does it install over the older versions of the framework, hence for example if i have the prosim .net framework i cant use vox atc or some scenery add ons as they require a different version?

Also could comeone give me the exact download for the .NET framework that prosim requires.

And if anyone else could give me any other information i may find helpful that would be hugely appreciated.

Regards
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Re: .Net Framework issues. Help.

It's been a while since I've played with .NET Framework issues. I believe all versions are supposed to be installed. You should be able to see a list of them in the following; go to "Control Panel" than "Uninstall or Change a Program" option

Matt Olieman

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Geremy.

I'm a .NET developer, so I'm pretty familiar with this scenario.

The basic point is this: all versions of the .NET Framework co-exist side-by-side. Generally speaking, most code written for earlier versions of the framework will run on later versions without change, so in most cases the code will just run. An application may, however, specify the version of the framework that it wants to run on, and also specify the behaviour if it's not available. Some applications insist on a specific version - not generally because they need it, just because that was the policy specified in the installer. You *can* override this behaviour using a policy file, but that would be a last resort because it's relatively complicated.

An extra wrinkle comes with the Service Pack releases. These install over the top of the version you already have. It's possible for an app to require, say, .NET 3.5 SP1 specifically, whereas you only have .NET 3.5 pre-SP. In such cases the app is supposed to prompt you to install the updated version.

I've checked the requirements, and both ProSim and VoxATC say they require .NET 3.5; however, it's possible that one or both actually requires .NET 3.5 SP1 and is not saying so.

You ought to have the latest version of everything installed anyway, to be up to date. So my advice is to do the following:

Uninstall .NET 3.5 and all other .NET Framework versions on your machine. Then download and install the following (in this order):

- .NET Framework 1.1 (for really legacy stuff): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...7-034d1e7cf3a3

- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (includes 3.5, 3.0, 2.0 SP1 and 2.0): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...c-fe5076bba986

- .NET Framework 4.0: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

This should cover all the bases and allow all .NET software to run without needing to install anything further.

If, after doing this, one or the other of ProSim and VoxATC doesn't run, please copy and paste the actual error messages you get into this thread and I'll have a look. But I reckon it's just the SP1 issue that you have and installing the above should make it go away.

Hope that helps!

NH
    Last edited by Neil Hewitt; 12-30-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Typos

Neil, you're a star thankyou!
    Couldn't have asked for a better answer.

I'll get onto doing what you mentioned above, and any problems i'll let you know.

Thanks again for your help, and time.
    Geremy Britton
    www.geremy.co.uk

neil,

Downloaded all the parts, but due to my FS computer being on another PC, i've put them on a disk and on the first .net 1.1 it 'needs to know the program that created it' or to 'select the program from a list' in order to install it.

The other two look as though they will open fine, but i dont want to install later packs until this first one is on as you suggested.

Does internet access hinder installing these?
    Geremy Britton
    www.geremy.co.uk

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Geremy Britton View Post
    neil,

Downloaded all the parts, but due to my FS computer being on another PC, i've put them on a disk and on the first .net 1.1 it 'needs to know the program that created it' or to 'select the program from a list' in order to install it.

The other two look as though they will open fine, but i dont want to install later packs until this first one is on as you suggested.

Does internet access hinder installing these?
    It shouldn't. Install the other two and I'll see if I can find a better install for 1.1. You probably won't need it anyway.

Neil, the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (includes 3.5, 3.0, 2.0 SP1 and 2.0) all installed ok.
    Came to do the last one (.NET framework 4), and after a while of it not really downloading much its brought up an error code: 0x800c0005
    .. preventing it from downloading successfully.

Theres the installation log i have which led to the error code apparently if it would help i'll transfer it to you
    Last edited by Geremy Britton; 12-30-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Geremy Britton
    www.geremy.co.uk

Despite not getting the .net 1.1, or the latest .net 4
    I have tested Vox atc and it works, and also i've just started prosim, and to my surprise its now up and running.

Brilliant! Can have a go with that now.

Thanks again, although if you know why it brought up the error code when installing version 4 let me know.
    When it comes to electronics and software as you can see, not my strong point. Cheers
    Geremy Britton
    www.geremy.co.uk

150+ Forum Groupie

Yes, I've now realised the error of my ways

The 1.1 install I gave you was the redist install, which is what you use when you want to embed the .NET Framework into your own apps. Oops. The correct installer is here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en. You also need the service pack installer here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en.

The 4.0 installer does in fact require Web access - it's a stub installer which downloads the required profile from the net. The standalone installer which doesn't require net access is here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en.

I wouldn't bother installing the 1.1 Framework at all, to be honest, as it's extremely rare to find anything that insists on it being present. I would install the 4.0 Framework, though, as more and more apps are moving to it and I'm sure both VoxATC and ProSim will do so sometime soon.

Glad to hear it's all working. Looks like it was a .NET 3.5 SP1 vs non-SP1 problem. That's pretty common. They should be more careful documenting their requirements and make sure they say SP1 when it needs it.

NH

Thanks Neil,
    Pleased i can delve into prosim and proceed on the next phase of the build.
    Everything solved, and thanks for your time to help

Sometimes you take these forums for granted until you know the help they can offer when you come into problems.

Cheers, happy new year
    Geremy Britton
    www.geremy.co.uk