Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: New Cessna 172 Simulator Project

Hi Vectro,

Well, based on your opinion and pictures, I'll first try to get a real non-working plane. If getting the plane is not possible or too expensive, I'll have no choice but to make something similar to a Cessna 172 in plywood. I'll probably buy The CS-1 "Stallion" Dual Seat Trainer -http://www.simsamurai.net/Sim_Samura...IY_Sim_Co.html) from Simsamurai and use it as a starting point. I'll be praying God that I could get a cheap bargain on one non-working C172. In the meanwhile I'm building a big CNC Router Mill, 8' by 4'. As soon as I get the machine done i'll be cuting the panels.Thanks.

10+ Posting Member

I found this(http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...07c133&ct=mdsa) 3D model for a cessna cockpit. It very simple but its a good starting point, I can export it to solidworks and modify it and it includes a motor design for motion platform.

Check out my website !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronson2k9 View Post
    Very interesting site. Could be worth the cost for the blueprints. Just by examining the design though you could perhaps make your own.
    Thanks for the reminder of why I should try and hide the interior frames of my designs! (so people just don't go and attempt to copy it rather than buy it)

#1 - I take alot of extra care in what I offer. I deeply and thoroughly research each design I create.

#2 - The CS-1 is very, very close to a real Cessna 172 / 182. I am a real pilot and I spent several hours measuring the cabin interiors of these aircraft.

#3 - Both the doors and interior height were slightly lengthened for several reasons. To begin, a real Cessna is ~3 ft off the ground. You climb up into it and therefore the door can be shorter. Mine is a little taller because I assume most builders will not raise their sim off the floor. Secondly the roof is slightly taller to help better accomdate pilots up to 6'-2".

#4 - The cabin interior of the CS-1 is also 2" wider so as to easily accomdate a real panel installation if desired but this also to provides a little more pilot comfort. If you've ever spent more than an hour in a real cessna you will appreciate this!

#5 - The door framework is made to accomdate up to 30" LCDs..something a real Cessna door will never be able to do unless you bolt on a "breakout box" onto it.

#6 - The distance from the door jamb to the panel is the exact same dimension as a real 172 / 182. I also allowed for enough space behind the seats for flight bags.

#7 - The instrument panel, which can be seen in my demo video on the CS-1 page, is slightly higher, again ~ 2", over the height of a real 172 but also calls for a slightly higher seat (16-18" which would be a low office chair ht.) Real Cessna seats move from 12"-15". More importanly this helps resolve yoke placement issues with storebought cip on style yokes as real yokes are ~30% up into the panel. Regardless, the dash height to roof line dimension remains the same as a real 172.

#8 - Real fuselages are great (if you can get one for $500) but most often they cost over $2,000. Secondly I've seen far too many people waste money on a real fuselage only to realize they have to gut everything just so that they can install LCDs into it and then they can't figure out where and how to mount their yoke. In short..real aircraft don't always make for great sims.

#9 - My main design philosophy is that I design from the pilot seat outward. I build for maximum functionality not maximum novelty. I build sims...not aircraft replicas.

#10 - I have hundreds of very satisfied customers. My designs are very detailed and very well thought out. For the prices I ask many have called it a bargain and after having received their plans set many folks have said the would have paid double.

(and I'm not kidding!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12