Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Picture of my simulator build plus a question

Hello all.

Thought I would post some pictures first then ask a question....(pics being the bait.

I am building a BAe146 simulator, with all the bells and whistles. Most of my interfacing with FS9 will be done with the Bodnar I/O board. I also have separate I/C boards which will allow the warning and caution lights to illuminate etc. (Bascially a 'parellell' simulation with FS9).

I think this link gives you the APU control panel including start and shutdown example using programmable microprocessor chips and step motors. (I do not write the programs, but I do assemble the IC boards).

Here is the link:

http://s794.photobucket.com/albums/y...73/BAE146_SIM/

My question is with engine instrumentation....I was so so sooo hoping to get real engine gauges to modify and slip into the empty slots...but I dont think this is going to happen now.

My other (only) option is using a monitor behind the panel and FSPanel studio to download and postion my N1, N2, TGT, WF etc...problem being I cannot find suitable gauges that relate to the 146...except for www.baepanelproject.com.

This site suits my needs perfectly, however the programmer has so designed his simulation that these gauges will not operate when removed and/or downloaded to another application. I have contacted the author for the baepanelproject but, understandably, he want to protect his work.

Is there anyone who can design and make these gauges for me?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

-J

2. Thanks W9XE/Project777, Hessel Oosten, Joe Cygan thanked for this post
    Super Moderator

Re: Picture of my simulator build plus a question

Great looking project! I love seeing projects like yours. It puts the wind in my sails.

Modifying gauges can be done with servos. Just search through the "search" function here, as there is more than adequate information on doing that.

Again, great project.

Joe

150+ Forum Groupie verticallimit's Avatar

Try to have a look in this site: http://www.realitysimconversions.co.uk/home

Your cockpit are loking good (so far).
    Sincerely,

Claus

This is one great looking build. I like the plywood section!
    Quote Originally Posted by mach7 View Post
    My question is with engine instrumentation....I was so so sooo hoping to get real engine gauges to modify and slip into the empty slots...but I dont think this is going to happen now.
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Bodnar View Post
    This is one great looking build. I like the plywood section!

Why not?
    Hello posters.

Thank you for the compliments...I will post additional pics as time goes on.

Thanks to Leo and his amazing I/O board, it works great! I am actually thinking about getting another one for more inputs...(if that is possible).

With regards to real engine instruments...it might still be a possiblily, the fact of the matter is they are very very difficult to get in this post 911 environment, even if money is no option.

It is unfortunate because I have all the overhead panels, and most of the cockpit including the yokes....just missing the engine gauges.

I have considered flight illusions, but I want the analog 'needle' plus the digital readout.

Quote Originally Posted by mach7 View Post
    With regards to real engine instruments...it might still be a possiblily, the fact of the matter is they are very very difficult to get in this post 911 environment, even if money is no option.
    This is strange. I have been able to accumulate a large cache of avionics with intent to producing a set of interfaces to drive them unmodified where possible and with minimum modification where not (some instruments contain tonnes of 70's ICs that not only consume huge amount of power but also very static sensitive and glitchy - keeping the original electronics would be counterproductive.) In either case I want to use original mechanics and sensors (synchros/resolvers) because this is where their value and appeal lies. FD, HSI, VSI, RA were not a problem at all. I have skipped engine instruments apart from a few samples but I could have had them just as easily. Even shipping from the US to the UK has never been a problem. I had a prototype run at HSI, FD, VSI, DME and they were all doable. But I figured people are building glass cockpits these days and 70-80s mechanical instruments are not in demand.

If you let me know exact engine instrument types or have any references (e.g. photos) I can buy the set if I run across them, make interface for them and if you want then you can have them if the cost is OK with you.

Hello Leo,

Absoulutley! If you have access to some of these items, it would be a dream come true!.

Basically what I am looking for are the N1 tachometers , N2 tachometers , TGT, and Fuel flow gauges. I was very close to aquisition...and still may have a chance...however, going directly to the vendor proved unsuccessful.

I will look up the exact part number and provide picture(s).

Thank you again Leo

-Jim