Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Help me to choose first panel to build

Hi,

I would start to build a 737NG cockpit, can you suggest me from where to start? Thaks

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Help me to choose first panel to build

Hi Andrea,

I was unsure where to start as well, but if you read through some of the threads here and visit other cockpit builders websites you will soon be able to work out where you need to start. I had a Simroom already with a 5 computer setup purposely built for FSX & Wideview and it was obvious that before I could get involved with individual panels I had to have a plan to build the support for all of this. It soon becomes a natural progression. This Forum is full of information and links to builders who generously give detailed plans and also good tutorials that allow you a visual aspect of the build.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level Simon FSC's Avatar

Ciao Naverre,

first of all you need to decide if you are going to build everything on your own or if you are going to rely also on sets that are allready available from various companies.
    Sometimes it's easier to buy pedestals, overheads, and so on, that are allready setup,cabled, etc etc, but you loose all the taste of creating your "baby" on your own

As Bernie sais, just give a look around and decide how to start

Ciao,
    Simon
    Simon "Poeta" Giorgi
    FSC - Flight Simulator Center

Thanks for answers.

One of my doubts is from which panel or instrument start. I will build the cockpit a little at a time, so I don't knowfrom what is more useful begin (MCP, pedestal, overhead, etc).

Thanks again for your help.
    Naverre

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by naverre View Post
    Thanks for answers.

One of my doubts is from which panel or instrument start. I will build the cockpit a little at a time, so I don't knowfrom what is more useful begin (MCP, pedestal, overhead, etc).

Thanks again for your help.
    Naverre
    hi...
    I think te MIP would be a great place to start. At least while you're building it, you can still fly as your building.
    That's what I did. started off with the mip.. You can even start off with the captain's side and then move on to the 1st officer's side.

Building the panels is much more cheaper than buying them ready made. For the price of a readymade complete MIP, you can purchase a MIP and Overhead in Kit form and build them.
    But be prepared to spend a lot of time if you're building than buying ready made. Don't think this is going to be a weekend project and we'll be finsihed. Even if you are a pro carpenter it will still take aot of time to assemble the structure and wire up everything. and then interface everythig with the software.

Don't get discouraged by the fact that geezzz this is taking me so long, I should quit. Build a small section, then fly with it. That's how I was doing and that's what kept me moving on.
    if one is just going to keep on building, the interest will be gone very soon.

This fourm has a lot fo info and the download section has a lot of resources too. And of course people are always willing to give answers if they know.

This way I did mine.. MIP first, then the pedestal, then the overhead. Again, my pedestal is still not complete but it has some stuff which I need for the basic flying. I gradually by modules from my pedestal.

So, hopefully this will give you encouragement in building your sim and not give up anytime.

6. Thanks darrenw, DHABERT, naverre thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

I think the MIP is a natural place to consider starting, as everything works away from this

150+ Forum Groupie Atomic_Sheep's Avatar

Personally, I think the Throttle quadrant is the main thing you can start with. It's the thing that makes the plane go after all. If you're building bit by bit as you say, I think you need to enjoy the flying in between each stage of progress and for that imo, you need a throttle quadrant. I'm building an A320 bit by bit and personally I can't live without a TQ - therefore, so far I've devoted almost half my total research and development time to the TQ (it's hard to do just one thing consistently which is why I do other parts intermittently but yer, the TQ is my top priority at the end of the day). I think you can just have a basic monitor setup for PFD and ND for the time being and use a mouse to do all the MCDU/FCU selections for the time being and overhead I think should be one of the last things to make. So personally, I think you should do the throttle quadrant, then the shell for the centre pedestal, then the main instrument panel cover to start to make it look decent, then the glareshield and all the stuff that goes on there, then MCDU/FCU, all the other centre pedestal panels and finally the overhead. Or you could do Throttle quadrant, then the glarshield panels (as the 737 throttle quadrant is pretty much freestanding as it is), then the MIP cover and stuff like the gear lever for example then everything else on the centre pedestal and the overhead. Something like that.

Either way, the throttle quadrant is a serious bit of kit for a 737, quite complex and time to consuming to build (besides, the 737 TQ also has the flap and break levers built into it so you're killing multiple birds with one stone, always a bonus!), so once the hard stuff is out of the way, I think you'll not only have the most important part done and dusted but also you'll be able to look forward to a cruisy finish to your home cockpit .