Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

CDU / MCP question

Well folks, I've been lurking awhile, carefully planning my build. I'm looking for a temporary solution, and wonder if someone has an idea...

I'll start with the rundown:

Using FSX under Windows 7, running (registered)FSUIPC to 2 clients running Vista.
    Run FsXpand as my avionics package
    Fly a PIC737

I am going to be running the opencockpits MCP, and once Gert has v6.0 of fsXpand out, it will interface to that MCP.

I also plan to buy a Hardware CDU, maybe the FDS, maybe the engravity, we'll see.

Nonetheless, I can't afford to get the CDU right now, and the MCP won't work until Gert finishes the next version of fsXpand (Hopefully not too long).

In the meantime, I am flying using the 737PIC CCDU and MCP. I don't like it because it has to go on my main FS screen, I would prefer these things on one of my 4 panel screens (2 per client).

So, my question, does anyone know of a stand alone CDU and MCP that I can run on a client via FSUIPC and WideFS?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Re: CDU / MCP question

Sorry, but there is no god news (as i know until now)

For Ms-FS (Fs9/FSX), the available complete suites that supports remote/networked CDU, are http://www.projectmagenta.com/ & http://www.sim-avionics.com/
    As you can understand, for the CDU to workds, needs the MCP software to fly the route and GC to draw the flightplan route that CDU has made. So all these have to be from the same programmer/company
    These 2 solutions, they also supports and connect with h/w CDUs. As i know the sim-avionics's licenses are available from flightdecksolution's site

For X-Plane there is one stand-alone you can find here http://ufmc.eadt.eu/Universal_FMC/Home.html , but i don't know if they support h/w CDUs

Good luck and welcome to our "MyCockpit" builders team

regards

Eddie
    Last edited by oal331; 11-10-2010 at 02:39 AM.
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

25+ Posting Member

Hi,

project magenta and sim-avionics are fine softwares, but they are also rather expensive. So I Think fear that they are out of range for a temporary solution. Have a look at http://www.vas-project.org/. It's a free software.

Patrick.

150+ Forum Groupie

If you are using the FeelThere PIC737, you have the option of using the GoFlight MCP-Pro, which is directly supported by the PIC737.

I believe the PIC737 also allows key mapping for the CDU which might simplify the interface for you. You could always use the VRInsight CDU II for a cheaper solution.

--
    Bryn

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

I have the VRInsight MCP Combo and I like it a lot, it's not the real thing, but works for me, with the added benefit of having and EFIS and comm access, if you need that. I will be getting their CDU II for Christmas (or so my Santa mail has informed me), so I'm very excited to be moving forward with my sim. When using VRInsight's SerialFP2 key mapping or directly to FSUIPC (registered version) with virtual serial ports (you can use Eterlogic VSPE or an equivalent), the MCP has worked just fine and I expect the CDU II to be just as good. The only drawback for you that I see is that VRInsight hardware must be connected to the main FS computer.

All FS hardware have ups and downs, likes and dislikes, it just depends on what you like and how much you have to spend. Yes I would love to have purchased more 'real as it gets' hardware, but had to draw the line somewhere. Perhaps in the future I can upgrade, but for right now, with my basic MIP, I am very satisfied with all of my FS hardware and I'm learning a lot along the way.

Good luck with your project, getting there is most of the fun anyway. And you get to meet lots of good people from around the globe along the journey.

tommie c