Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: 757 MIP, Overhead, throttle....?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    Okay but I think I will Give the BAe project a try. Maybe I just had some bigger plans than workable. But I think I will try to make a good BAe146 as possible.

Thanks/ Tim
    I think a BAE is a wonderful small aircraft and the fact that it is not available on the cockpit building market makes it a daring project on the one hand but on the other hand gives you a lot of freedom and it's a challenge. Think of this, the more there are ready built parts available the more you will be inclined to have your deck a 100% 1:1 replica. And you will probably end up buying a cockpit instead of building a cockpit. If money is an issue, which is for most of us the case, than you can economize by making things yourself (or start saving). Which means building more yourself. Given the fact that you can do more yourself, leaves you the opportunity to cut a corner here and there if needed and make it probably less 100% but the question is "who cares" (and who will know?).
    I've been building my set up, and yes there are things not like the real thing. But the fact that I've been able to make things myself is very rewarding. And yes, you have to make choices.

JWS

PS Have a look at the video's Geremy posted; "the Kings of Sim". In one part there is a guy who started is first cockpit with cardboard. Just to put things into perspective.
    Last edited by JWS; 11-03-2010 at 03:51 AM. Reason: PS added

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: 757 MIP, Overhead, throttle....?

Quote Originally Posted by JWS View Post

PS Have a look at the video's Geremy posted; "the Kings of Sim". In one part there is a guy who started is first cockpit with cardboard. Just to put things into perspective.

Thanks JWS, really an informative watch and i must suggest you watch it. It will answer some of your questions and probably raise alot more but nevertheless as Sean said my research on simbuilding lasted around 5 years - party due to my fear of not commiting to building at the start because once one part is made wrong it ruins your whole setup. Especially when you're building to scale or trying to fit it into a confined area.

Think of it as a jigsaw, you must consider all the options first, because if one part goes wrong or you change your mind and buy a different sized part from another vendor later on you will have to change your whole setup and deconstruct it for it to work.

I've taken so long in this stage of planning that the part i'm building for has often come up for sale second hand at a reduced price before i've finished building the housing it.

By far the easiest aircraft for design ,parts, knowledge and everything else is the Boeing 737NG. So do that.
    But if you want something special do the aircraft you really love, and to be fair if you're that passionate about building an aircraft that isn't as popular then you will build all your parts yourself and put so much work into it. The guy who built a Superconnie aircraft sim springs to mind - he refurbished all his parts and interfaced them.

I have BAE 146 radios i'm using in my sim, cant tell the difference hardly apart from they're analogue and not digits segment readouts, that leads me to another point if you change your mind you can change to any aircraft along the way within reason. eg between boeing aircraft or the 737ng to the lear etc.

my sim originally was going to be a generic until i found myself buying only 737 parts because they're cheap and freely available, so that determined my route to aircraft.

One final thing, no matter how much research you do, it will always have changed by the time you are half way through building, new softwares are coming out and new parts are being released almost bi-monthly.

So for someone such as myself when PM at several thousand pound for software was the only option to now a wide variety. There will always be better, easier and more cost effective solutions and its up to you as the simbuilder to find them. We will of course help, but i've always aid the research is vital. And it is.

Get it wrong and it's like not configuring your ILS properly. Doomed.

Hope that helps
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12