Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

737 or Avro Rj(Bae146) Project?

Hello all cockpitbuilders,

I have a problem of decision here. I would really like to build an Avro Rj cockpit. But as I have seen there is not much panels, overheads, yokes and so on for an Avro Rj cockpit. But then there is this other option, A boeing 737 cockpit were there is parts everywhere that you can bild your own home cockpit with. But the hardest to get to the Avro Rj is maybe a overhead panel and EFIS and engine screens. But the other stuff should not be to hard to build yourself right? So now what do you think I should go for A hard and expensive Avro Rj or an easy a bit cheaper 737 cockpit?

Cheers Tim

Re: 737 or Avro Rj(Bae146) Project?

Tim,

there are several people here on the forum (and on other forums as well) that own machinery to produce panels. You could try to ask them if they are willing to help you with Rj panels. Beware that there is, as far as I know, no software to link to your Rj overhead. You'll have to use something else (737??).

Success,

JWS

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by JWS View Post
    Tim,

there are several people here on the forum (and on other forums as well) that own machinery to produce panels. You could try to ask them if they are willing to help you with Rj panels. Beware that there is, as far as I know, no software to link to your Rj overhead. You'll have to use something else (737??).

Success,

JWS
    Ah thank you for the info. And yes maybe converting a 737 overhead to a Bae 146 overhead can be an option but the big diffirence is the knobs and button tho.
    I will look around on the forum But these people with machines does they only make panels how about yokes and such, Is there anyone with such skills or do you think I should wait for someone to put one up on Ebay maybe? thank you very much.

/Tim

Tim,

don't know how "handy" you are but if you search the internet for "yoke" you'll probably find websites from cockpitbuilders who made a yoke themselves e.g. from wood illustrated with pictures).

If you're not that handy you can always try to buy one, e.g. from Routech:

http://www.routech.ro/index.php?opti...d=48&Itemid=56

I believe this is what you're looking for.

JWS

25+ Posting Member

Aaahh Wonderful! exactly what I was looking for thank you very much. I will try to find someone that can help me with the panel.
    will keep you updated here on the forum about my progress.

Thank you again Jan

Cheers Tim

Hi there,

if the AVro RJ is what you want to build the most and you have the skills and possibilities and you can settle on maybe not 100% true to live avro cockpit... then I would build that. Part of the fun and reward is in making things yourself.
    Of course, if you want perfection and everything just like the real thing....then it might be better to settle for something so many people are doing already and where companies have seen opportunities and are producing almost real life replicas of every switch, knob, control and panel.
    Like the 737 there are already 3 or 4 software suppliers trying their best at producing real life replicas of the avionics.
    For avro, it is still a question on where you'll find software suitable. Where you'll find the overhead logics simulation? Many challenges here?

Greetz Peter
    FS9+PM+AST+opencockpits

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdpo View Post
    Hi there,

if the AVro RJ is what you want to build the most and you have the skills and possibilities and you can settle on maybe not 100% true to live avro cockpit... then I would build that. Part of the fun and reward is in making things yourself.
    Of course, if you want perfection and everything just like the real thing....then it might be better to settle for something so many people are doing already and where companies have seen opportunities and are producing almost real life replicas of every switch, knob, control and panel.
    Like the 737 there are already 3 or 4 software suppliers trying their best at producing real life replicas of the avionics.
    For avro, it is still a question on where you'll find software suitable. Where you'll find the overhead logics simulation? Many challenges here?

Greetz Peter
    Yes but if I will make the panel myself do you have any suggestions if i should use real metal panel or wood panel? Allso I need measures of the panel to like width of the EFIS screens and where they should be placed and so on do you know any website or something? So no.1 wood or metal and allso need measures from a panel from a Avro Rj.

Greets, Tim

Tim,

If you want a BAE/RJ, why not start with some infogathering, like
    Wiki : http://www.google.nl/#hl=nl&source=h...566434dd06c46f

Airliners.net: http://www.airliners.net

The manufacturer: http://www.regional-services.com/.

E-mail BAE and explain what you want to do and ask them for measurements. Write the Airline company in your country that uses them, and ask if you may visit the cockpit to take pictures and take measurements.

Really, there is so much you can do before embarking on the project.
    And I would do it the easy way and start with wood.

If you want instruments, have a look at programs that make it possible to build your own panel (ask help in forums e.g. AVSIM.com dedicated to panel design).

Success,

JWS

9. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Tim

That's pretty good advice from JWS, exactly what I would be doing.

Your main obstacle, I think, is the lack of publicly available information on the Avro, as it's not a popular aircraft for home builders. But that needn't stop you going down that route, your research stage will take a lot longer though, but it'll be enjoyable (and frustrating)!

If I come across any RJ info, I'll pass it on.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...mbnails=noinfo

Best of luck.

Sean
    Last edited by Sean Nixon; 10-16-2010 at 04:05 AM. Reason: link added

11. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

The BAE146/RJ is a personal favorite of mine. So I'll do the best I can to help you.

First place to go is the BAEPanel Project website. Although it's been 'closed' (no updates/support) It's still up and there you will find both a 146 and RJ panel. What's important about them is that there is a pretty complete manual on how they function. Carefully researched and put into FSX (146) and FS2004 (RJ). You should find them quite informative.

There is also this AVSOFT RJ-85 Cockpit Posters

I don't know what platform you plan on using if it's FSX/FS2004 there aren't to many available models. More for FS2004. Finding a good model that you want to turn into a cockpit is important. Ultimately it's a sim more then a cockpit. For the BAE146/FS2004 there is the AEROSOFT BAE146 For freeware BAE146's you can check out the Historic Jetliners Group.

For drawings there is this nice BAE RJ-70 Cutaway. You can download and buy larger prints if you like.

For the RJ there really isn't to much out there. One of the big differences between the 146 and the RJ is the updated 'Glass' cockpit. With the RJ getting the treatment.

If going all out the holly grail of the BAE is the FCOM (Flight Crew Operations Manual). You can try Ebay but they are pretty rare. I took a pretty good look for one and couldn't find one. They could be available from aftermarket suppliers but they aren't going to be to cheap. The manual from the BAE Panel Project site should do pretty good though. Mr. Lieberecht has done a great job on the panel. Trying to incorporate all that could fit into FS2004/FSX.

If a trip to Ireland is in your future you may want to get some seat time in BAE146 Sim you can rent time in. Atlantic AirVenture As your building your own it could be worth it to get some pointers from an actual pilot on systems. They may even let you take measurements?

That should get you started anyway.. Best of luck on your build. It's a particular favorite of mine. It's STOL capabilities and fairly large role as a Cargo Transport make it the 'Bush' plane with punch. So don't forget to keep us updated with your research and design. You'll find that even though there are many unique things about the BAE Systems jet there are quite a few things that can come from other aircraft others are building here and at the very least there is a ton you can learn about how to build a cockpit.

Cheers
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast