25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Cockpit Outside Vis solution please

Hi fellow builders,
    I'm currently looking at building a full scale airliner cockpit, something about the size of a 737. I have spent the past several months getting gathering all my hardware. I purchased 3 I7 computers about a year ago and plan to use these for my outside scenery view. I currently have them networked and synchronized using WideView. I must tell u it looks fantastic on 3X22 inch LCDs. All are running in full HD, and the frame rate is glass smooth (even on the clients!). This is just a temp setup to see how they work together. Of course the final setup will have to incorporate something bigger, and here lies my question.
    My original plan was to purchase 3X 55inch full HD LCDs. I was thinking the bigger, the better, because i wanted them as far away from the sim as possible, to alleviate the parallax error u see, with some DIY home builds. The sense of depth is very important to me, and i want the outside view to look as correct as possible from both viewpoints (Capt. and F.O).
    The one thing i'm not happy with is the LCD screen boarders, which look "funny" especially when you have them in front of the flight deck window, with the center upright. U end up with three vertical obstructions which just looks bad.
    Can anyone recommend some solutions for me? I have seen many boarder-less setups, and i am interested in how this is done. I have heard that you can place Fresnel lenses over screens to eliminate boarders (i cant seem to find much help on the net about this), or multiple projectors may be an option, but not sure how u would overcome the flight sim getting in the way of the projection.
    Can someone please give me some pointers to websites or guides for external dimensions, and hardware solutions. The cost needs to be comparable to LCD screens. Thanks,
    Best Regards
    TOMCAT

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Cockpit Outside Vis solution please

Individual screens of any reasonable size will probably dissapoint if you want things to look right from both seats. If you've got the space for a large wraparound screen, this is probably your best bet. As an added bonus, you can now get full HD projectors for less than the cost of a large flatscreen TV. http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...seBVCookie=yes

The issue of the cockpit getting in the way of the projectors is overcome with the use of projectors designed for short-throw. See Ivar Hestness's cockpit http://nthusim.com/setup/ivar-hestne...-degree-visual . The advent of Nthusim software makes the issue of alignment and distortion correction much easier than it used to be.

25+ Posting Member

Re: Cockpit Outside Vis solution please

Thanks neighbour.
    Im glad i didnt purchase screens.
    That degree of vis is insane, great work Ivar. You feed my inspiration.
    My work has only just begun