Generic GA Sim Builder Jordan Farmer's Avatar
    Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom, 1.14701878546E+14, Exeter, Devon
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Korry style swith Q's

Hey there guys. As a few of you may have noticed, i bought an A320 MIP the other day, and it arrrived today, and it looks very good, even in its raw state! But on to my questions, Now i want to start work on the A320, i have been doing quite alot of research in to other peoples builds, but there is a bit of a grey area. The overhead is never really talked about, and when it is, there never seems to be any mention of the push buttons. I know that they are in the style of korry switches, but i dont have a foggy idea of how to replicate them. Ive had a few ideas, but they seem overly time consuming and very expensive. I wondered what everyone else has come up with and could you share your ideas? The actual pushbutton part i can deal with, but the part i need real help with is the box shap with the 2 separate parts for the different indicators.

Also, are there any diagrams anywhere with measuremnts?

I do hope you guys can give me a hand!

Jordan

P.S. Wish me luck with the Airbus, i will need it

Re: Korry style swith Q's

Hi Jordan,

it all depends on how close to reality you want? I have build my own box in which the legends of FDS fit, Peter Cos was so friendly to give me a good
    deal on the legends (since he had still most of them in stock, dont know if he still has that)
    I put there two leds and I mounted this box on top of a cheap pushbutton. Its not ideal but it will do and it wasnt that expensive.
    Anyway, making one box costed me a lot of time and tweaking but to repeat it, was just a matter of making a mould and pour the two component raisin to produce the rest.

Greetz Peter
    FS9+PM+AST+opencockpits

Generic GA Sim Builder Jordan Farmer's Avatar
    Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom, 1.14701878546E+14, Exeter, Devon

Oh right i see, the legends were going to be a real pain to source, i will get on the mail and ask him then, may come out well! Ive never used moulds before, but would like to get using them, as ive heard the results are very satisfactory. The only thing i will struggle with is making the master But thanks for the help anyway.

Next question, if anybody reads this, where should i get my overhead panels from? Im looking for good value, not cheapy crap, but not too much money, for great quality! Or should i get my own made up? Oh, i do want them backlight-able, if thats a real word Hope you can help chaps

Jordan

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

I just hope you have got 1000's to spend (and I mean 1000's) Having panels means nothing, making the panels work and do what they should is where it breaks the bank, because an a320 sim in its basic form will cost megabucks!

This is the 'not cheapy crap' overhead that you can backlight:

http://www.cockpitsonic.co.uk/index....mart&Itemid=64

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=529

And this:

http://www.geremy.co.uk/shop/article...LB10%252327%26

Or working version:

http://www.cockpitsonic.co.uk/index....mart&Itemid=64

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=646

Good luck pal,

Alex
    Last edited by CessnaGuy; 10-28-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    GA or the Highway!

300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC

Yeh, that's a good one. Wish I'd seen this before I'd made mine.

Mine are cnc'd from 6mm acrylic sheet in 8 pieces, glued to assemble.

The legend is 0.5mm clear acrylic sheet, painted with a few layers of black spray paint, then engraved the paint (in reverse text) so you have a nice clean front and it's engraved from the back (if you understand what I mean.

A bit time consuming, but the result is quite good. Uses a micro tactile switch at the very back, so it is not latching. Pretty happy with how they work too.

I think you'll agree that they don't look too bad either.

David

Hi Guys
    Just like to add that Korry switches are every builders nightmare and especially when it comes to the A320 overhead
    i have order my overhead from Skalarki http://a320-project.skalarki.co.uk
    i got my mcdus from them and i am happy with the good quality he has a full a320 over head in a very good price
    i will post picture when i get it

i wish good luck with the A320 and when you can post us pictures

regards Spiro

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

I am sorry guys to say this, but the EASIEST way to build Korry style switches with the split LED effect is:

Buy the square EBAY push buttons, drill 2 holes in each push button head, insert LED in each hole and add loose cable, then place a 3mm acrylic square on top of the button head with the split legends, I have seen this done a few times, and really easy to make, and a lot less sodding around.....

I try and draw a picture, you could adapt this....

Alex
    Last edited by CessnaGuy; 10-30-2010 at 05:37 AM.
    GA or the Highway!

9. Thanks mondo50m thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict

I machined a few indicators from black acrylic, I think there are some pictures on here someplace... I made the back with 2 holes, and seperate cavities to keep the light from bleeding across from the adjacent sections. I then made die-cut labels on a Crikut-type machine using black construction paper. They came out awesome! The pushbutton version should be about as easy using a similar method with a switch mounted behind the assembly.

150+ Forum Groupie Atomic_Sheep's Avatar

I'm working on this problem myself at the moment and I haven't as yet bumped into any obvious solutions. From what Dodiano said, A320 uses JAY-EL switches, if you do a google search for them, possible include .pdf with your search, you'll quickly stumble across the technical documents for the switches with their dimensions and internal mechanics etc (the korry documents even stated how much pressured needed to be applied to press the switch so I assume the JAY-EL ones would have the same specs in there somewhere). I've only recently started looking into them more closely and quickly came to the same conclusion as you i.e. they are very fiddly and complicated. FYI on ebay, each one apparently costs (brand new) $18 so buying real ones is pretty much out of the question in my mind. If you email me, I'll try and email a few images that I found of other people making their own, not the most realistic feel wise, but they can be made to look quite authentic. Well, I've got a few images on how others have seperated different coloured LEDs.

Personally, I want to look into making each one myself but that will only start to happen when I get a CNC machine. A bit too time consuming to do it all by hand. I Honestly think though, that you can probably buy an original and then reverse engineer it. The dimensions are there and it doesn't have ot be as perfect as the original but I think it can be done, that's what I'm hoping on. Plus this way, I was thinking that it would be possible to make them right off the bat to be compatible with any interfacing that one has with the simulator rather than having wierd voltages etc but I haven't looked into it this far yet so I don't know, just speculating at this point.

Here's Perik's go at Korry switches:

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...atching-switch

Here's another link:

http://home.hccnet.nl/jwopdenakker/building%20tip.html

This last one is pretty basic but gives some ideas on how it might be done.

Oh and in relation to PM'ing with your email, I just found a site that has images I was going to send:

http://www.opencockpits.com/modules/...2_itemId=10625