150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Wink Ref Lightweight Cockpit frame

Hi Guys , im building a 2OF motion platform using a number of ideas which i picekd up on this site , this will be my second platform ( the 1st was proof of concept sorta thing messy but worked ) basically my platform as it stand is now motion controlled and operational under FSX control and seems to be capable of moving the designed for weight ( me LOL ) i am after some plans . ideas for a lightweight structure for the Cabin Based on a generic Cessna ,Pilatus type Cockpit but as a single seater.. very similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgLZJ15Me4 have been in touch with this designer but can appreciate tthe time it might take to get back to me . does anyone here know of or can ponit me site or give me some sugestions as to where i can get drawings for something like this ( max weight i envisage excluding my 90 Kg will be around 100Kg's for Frame ,seat + controllers ,lcd's etc will post some pics soon -- This project has come about mainly due to the inspiration from several members typically and in no particular order Roland Van d roy, Ian at buggies Built for fun , Jim ( New zealands finiest who started the whole thing ) and many more -- just to say thanks guys for insipirring me to get this far , still got a ways to go but she's moving and there has been no blue magic smoke during testing

Re: Ref Lightweight Cockpit frame

Hi Wannabeaflyer,

The construction of the motion cockpit may be a bit different from the normal box type you'd expect:

This is because the structure needs to cope with the accelerations (especially the rotation) of the heavy parts.
    Biggest issue is the visuals. If you go for scenery visuals with LCD's mounted on the platform, the construction needs to be sufficiently stiff to hold them in place. (They are relatively heavy, and mounted high, so lots of rotational inertia)

For reference you could check my new #4 motion cockpit design, where I have tried to build light and strong, while making sufficiently stiff scenery support. (3x17" LCD)
    Initial tests show that it is up to the job. (although not sure it will survive FSweekend) . But you'll need to build a lightweight shell around it. I plan to use camping foam again, similar to #3 rig.

I have aimed for 160kg payload (including 70kg pilot) and seems not far off.

http://www.simprojects.nl/modular_simpit.htm
    http://www.simprojects.nl/diy_motion_platform_iv.htm

I can send you the Sketchup files if you want, from these you can take measurements.

Hope this helps.
    RR

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Roland am really glad you answered my call for help, i visit your site daily in eager anticipation of what your going to do next , and have to say i'm never disapointed , would love a copy of the sketchup files to use as reference for my design , i have something in mind and will post it here or send you a PDF copy to get your opinion ,, Big Big Thanks Roland i know this will a busy time for you with FSweekend coming up so whenever you get a chance it would be greatly appreciated . Wil stick a Video on Youtube soon as well
    Last edited by wannabeaflyer; 10-27-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: finger trouble and dodgy eyesite

500+ This must be a daytime job

Hi Roland and Wannabeaflyer,
    Good to see some motion platforms under development and very interesting work. Wannabeaflyer, it will be great to see some pics, Roland has also
    inspired me.

Roland;
    You mentioned using Camping foam to make a shell. Can you elaborate on exactly what this material is called. I would like to use something like that
    but dont know what to look for.Thanks for inspiring me.

Les

Thanks for the kind words, guys. After all we are here to inspire and be inspired!

Wannabeaflyer: I have added a download link for the Sketchup file on http://www.simprojects.nl/modular_simpit.htm

About the camping foam: Don't know what is the commercial name. It looks like the stuff backpackers take with them rolled up : 10mm thick isolation mat the size of your sleeping bag or bigger. It can be bought at camping specialty shops. You can cut, glue, fold, etc. I attach it to the support frame with Velcro.
    RR

6. Thanks wannabeaflyer thanked for this post
    Generic GA Sim Builder Jordan Farmer's Avatar
    Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom, 1.14701878546E+14, Exeter, Devon

Its good to see some more motion stuff going on, there is always quite a big space in this area! And when you said camping foam, all i could think of was expanding foam :/ as soom as you explained it, i felt like a bit of an idiot, i have one of the mats in my cupboard behind me! And there isnt a commercial name for it other than what you said, Simply a camping foam mat!

Jordan

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Guys Just to pipe in . over the years iv'e always had an interest in motion sim for the DIY crew ( not a lot of money but big on dreams ) anyways it all started for me with Jims concept of Motion simming using car window wiper motors and since then i've follwed the stuff that Roland Does and the Biggie was the development of a very cheap and brilliantly simple Control system designed and Sold by Ian at Buggies Built for fun - have to say if anyone out there is thinking about a similar project i can whole heartedly recomend these three source for great info that makes for a doable project -- i.e Rolands Actuators - Ians Control System and Jim just to show what can be done with alittle lateral thinking ( Jim also has developed control software -- no need to spend thousands guys just elbow grease LOL Gimme a few days and i'll tidy up the pics i have ( the usual proviso whne there posted to look beyond the state and see the final dream and stop lauging)
    Last edited by wannabeaflyer; 10-27-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Still got the trembly fingers central heating is off :-)

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Roland Got the files Cheers sir thanks for sharing Good Luck for FSweekend