150+ Forum Groupie Atomic_Sheep's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A320 Throttle Quesitons

Hi guys, I'm presently designing the throttle quadrant but I'm unable to even put pen to paper for simple reason that I can't get the whole setup in mind. The thing that I'm having most difficulty in imagining are the detents and how they will be recognised in the sim.

1.) What FSX programs/aircraft have detents simulated?

2.) What does the Airbus "think", when the trottles aren't in the detents between CL and FLX MCT and between FLX MCT and TOGA?

3.) On a range of 0-100%, what would the throttle setting of just before CL detent be? (I think this is equivalent to N1?) (I know that you're unlikely to have the throttles past CL and not being in their detent settings but I want to have something that is as close to the real deal as possible.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Re: A320 Throttle Quesitons

Hi,

The position of the THR LVR gives a value of N1 calculated by the FADEC.

Fixed gates (idle, CL, MCT/FLX, TOGA) correspond to a value of N1, but this particular value depends on pressure and temperature.

If you're in a gate, you get the N1 of that gate, as calculated by the FADEC.

If you're between gates, say x% between CL and MCT, then you get the CL +x%*(MCT-CL).

In the FCOM, there are tables for N1 according to temp and pressure, for each gate (except the FLX, this one is even different).

Hope it was clear

Cheers,

JL

3. Thanks 747flyer, Atomic_Sheep thanked for this post

Thanks Jeehell, great explanation.

Hi guys, another question popped up, when you raise the throttle levers to chuck them into reverse, what happens if you decide not to use reverse thrusters? How do you cancel the raised levers. Will moving the throttles forward from idle do this? or is the only way for the levers to pop back in the down position to move them into the reverse zone and then back into normal range?

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Hi,

the idle position gate is divided in two gates actually, idle and reverse idle (idle thrust but the engines reverse flaps are open).
    When you want to apply reverse, you have to put back the levers in idle, lift the reverse levers, which will put the levers in revers idle. Then, you can slide the levers in the reverse range.
    To cancle reverse, you put them back into the reverse idle gate, where you can then lower the reverse levers, to get back into normal reverse.

If a real bus driver can confirm

From what I've seen, when you pull the levers up, the throttle levers don't move but it allows you to move them back (to reverse idle and beyond) and the levers get cancelled once you move the levers through the normal idle stage. I've got a feeling that when you pull the levers up, it basically locks the levers from moving forwards unless you push hard enough to get them past some mechanism which then cancells the levers but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Sheep View Post
    Hi guys, another question popped up, when you raise the throttle levers to chuck them into reverse, what happens if you decide not to use reverse thrusters? How do you cancel the raised levers. Will moving the throttles forward from idle do this? or is the only way for the levers to pop back in the down position to move them into the reverse zone and then back into normal range?
    Hello... I'm a A319/320/321 aircraft maintenance technician (avionics) and I have the engine run course.
    If you want to abort a reverse situation you must simply push forward the throttle levers and when they reach the idle position, they will go down automaticaly.

Based on this information, the way I see it: if the throttles are in the idle position, if you pull the reverse levers up, they will go back down if you let go of them whilst the throttles are in the idle position and they remain up if you move the throttles back into the reversed area? i.e. you need to hold them up until you move the throttles in the reverse zone at which point they stay up by themselves?

Hi!
    Perhaps I can help. I had the chance to try it in a Level D Sim a couple of days ago. The reverse levers are not spring loaded and have some friction so they won't go back down by themselves. If you lift them, you are already in reverse idle and the whole reverse range is unlocked. To put them down again, you have to advance the thrust levers to "normal" idle with a certain force. You can push the reverse levers a bit down while advancing the thrust levers forward to reduce the force needed.
    I hope that helped you.
    Bastian

11. Thanks Atomic_Sheep thanked for this post

Thanks, much appreciated. Just to clarify, as you are pulling the levers up, the throttle handles are moving to the reverse idle position in a linear fashion?

Also, does anyone know what the extension thing is with the question mark next to it? I presume the hinge of the throttles is where I circled and labeled it with an H. Could the extension possibly have some sort of hydraulics attached to make the throttles move nicely?

Question.png