25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

slow autogen scenery / graphic card or not

First i hope that i can post this here?
    Hi I've been using FSX now for some time and generaly speaking I'm content.
    I have most sliders 2 the right and still have good frame rates 20 - 45 FPS, and hardly any stuttering.
    only in very bad weather and lots of clouds frames drops to 15. But that is not my
    problem. My problem is the autogen scenery. so far the autogen density does not drop my frames (extreme dense or none)
    my frames remain the same (lucky me), but the autogen scenery is loading very very slow. when flying over a area
    you actually wil see constant trees and buildings popping up. And i was wondering whether it's a hardeware (CPU or GPU)
    problem or can it be a software problem. I've reinstalled FSX ( as suggested : install an run then install the next sp1 and so on and so on)
    I have tried diff videocard drivers no luck. Also I want to say that it does not matter when I use the default cessna or the
    ATR.

I hope some one can give me some advice? would a new graphic card make the difference.

Henri

Mobo: ASUS striker II extreme
    CPU: Q9650 3Ghz
    Video card: 8800GT 1GB memory (driver 258.96) I use NVidiaInspector 1.92
    Memory: 4 GB Corsair dominator 1600
    Win7 64 bit on HDD 150GB velciraptor
    FSX on SSD

Video card memory use= 40%
    GPU load = 70%

Memory use = 50% - 55%
    CPU load = 30% - 95% (seldom 95%)

SIM
    FSX + SP1 + SP2
    ATR 72-500 (flight1)
    MEGA Brussel airport (airosoft)
    Aktive sky v6.5( over network /widefs)
    GEX europe
    FSUIPC

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: slow autogen scenery / graphic card or not

it's an FSX problem.

Unlike FS9, FSX does not fade in the scenery. It just 'pops' in when it is time to draw. I've read in developer blogs that there was intent to re-introduce the distance fading in DX10 mode, but I can't test that from WinXP.

Another possibility is that it is a bandwidth issue. As an experiment, you may want to turn your texture resolution settings and mesh density way down, and set your frame rate limiter to 30. If this improves your autogen, the issue is likely with bandwidth, and you can turn the settings back up until you notice degradation again. If there is no improvement in autogen, then I'm just spouting nonsense, and you can turn your settings back up and look for a different solution.

25+ Posting Member bussgarfield's Avatar

Hi Henri.

I know this is a complex issue and I have read in a past issue of a certain flight sim magazine, the best way to get the best from your computer and FSX.
    I will have to look through the back issues to try and find it so I may come up with a possible solution to your problem. From memory the whole topic took up 4 pages so I will not be able to list every thing but it may point you in the right direction.

I would be interested to hear others views but I do distinctly recall that it advised you to set your frame rates to 'unlimited'. I did this and there was a vast improvement and it is still set at unlimited.

Give me a couple of days to find the article and I will get back to you.

Gary

25+ Posting Member

Hi guys and thanks for the advise.
    wledzian i did try but sorry it did not help. And Gary looking forward 2 what you 've got. I did use the "frame rates to 'unlimited'" and had very high frame rates but also lots of stuttering. Yesterday i tried the part of the tweak of (Bojote) and put the frames locked at 35, al least the first test flight was very smooth.
    about the autogen scnerey even if i pull al the sliders 2 the left and leave the autogen slider on sparse the scenery is very slow. I would think that far in the distance it would slowly pop up, but in a radius 2 miles around the aircraft scenery keeps on poping up .
    But i still have hope to slove the problem with you're help??
    regards,
    henri

Henri,

I have sent you a PM.

Gary

25+ Posting Member

Hi Gary, I still had some time and so I tried diff settings but just the same. FPS are good hardly any stutters, but the autogen buildings and trees are popping up right in front and under the aircraft( very annoying ). It seems that no one else had or has this problem? So then i will uninstall FSX and reinstall it again 2 figure out (maybe can find something) because I don't want 2 buy a new graphic card if I don't know if it will solve the problem.
    I some has a clue Please I can use some help.
    regards,
    Henri

Hi again Henri.

Glad I could be of some help regarding your frame rates.

At 30,000 feet I have clouds that pop up out of know where. It seems that the aircraft has a bubble around it and everything happens within that bubble. In fact that is what FSX was designed to do in a way. It concentrates all it's processing energy into the imediate scenery around the aircraft as that is what you see most. As for trees and building popping up right in front and under the aircraft you may just need to adjust your settings again.

The article I sent you talks about scenery towards the end and that may be where your problem lies.

I have just tried out some new software. It is called 'FSX Booster' and is produced by FSPS. It has only been available for a couple of weeks and it has improved my frame rates no end. It may also tweak your scenery problems for you. It is cheaper than a new graphics card.

Have a look here http://fsps.737ng.gr/Booster.html

You get 2 free goes before you need to purchase the licence.

Make sure you follow the manual properly (I didn't the first time) but FSPS have a great support team and were very helpful and put me right which is why I say read and follow the manual.

Get back to the forum if you still have problems with your trees jumping up. There are people here with more knowledge than I so they may be able to offer suggestions too.

Good luck with the move.

Gary