10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Airbus Need some advice on interfacing toggle switches

Hey everyone, I just wanted to see if anyone could help me with this. I'm getting ready to order some toggle switches for my a320 project but I'm not sure if I should look for specific toggles or if any ordinary toggles would work. I noticed on the captain dimmer panel the Console/Floor toggle has:

BRT - DIM - OFF

positions in that order. Does this mean that I need a special toggle that would be ON-ON-OFF (If that exists)? Or would a regular ON-OFF-ON toggle work just fine? When the toggle is in the off position (I'm assuming center) would I be able to program the off position to cause the lights to DIM and in the third ON position program that to turn lights off? Or does the OFF position of a toggle not emit any signal and is therefore not seen as a button input? In that case would an ON-ON-ON toggle work with the third ON being programmed to turn the lights off? Also I'm assuming standard toggles would be okay and momentary toggles aren't needed. On the EFIS there's an ADF1 - OFF - VOR1 toggle so I should be okay with a standard ON - OFF - ON toggle there. Either way this has been giving me a headache and I couldn't find a straight answer anywhere. Sorry I'm still pretty new to interfacing so I'm learning as I go along... and trying not to waste money on parts to find out they're useless for me. Thanks in advance!

75+ Posting Member

Re: Need some advice on interfacing toggle switches

Hello D.

ON-OFF-ON should work well. Call it ON1-OFF-ON2 for now. Setting ON1 triggers BRT, resetting ON1 triggers DIM; setting ON2 triggers OFF, resetting ON2 triggers DIM; infer DIM if neither ON1 nor ON2 is set at initialization. You wouldn't use momentary switches with that logic.

Jim

3. Thanks dcoker thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Hello Jim,

Thank you for explaining it to me! So if I understand correctly, the system is essentially using a process of elimination where it receives no signal from ON1, then no signal from ON2 so the toggle must therefore be OFF? Thanks again!

Deniz

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcoker View Post
    Hello Jim,

Thank you for explaining it to me! So if I understand correctly, the system is essentially using a process of elimination where it receives no signal from ON1, then no signal from ON2 so the toggle must therefore be OFF? Thanks again!

Deniz
    Deniz,

...well... there's no pre-existing "system" that knows how to do what I've suggested. It's up to you to connect the hardware and implement the logic via a script and/or FSUIPC.

Jim.