Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

opencockpits mcp help

Hi im new to the whole thing of using sioc i have the opencockpits mcp which iu must say is wow was a bit knocked back when there wasnt any instruction manual but found the sioc on there site im using fsx and the captain sim 737 and hopefully the new pmdg ngx. The problem is can anyone send me the sioc code as im not sure how to write it

thanks in advance

25+ Posting Member bussgarfield's Avatar

Re: opencockpits mcp help

Hi Richard.

Go to http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/...ml?cPath=22_61
    All the SIOC files and manuals are here for you to download.
    I have the OC MCP and it is very good. You did remember to purchase the 5v power supply with it didn't you (unless you already have one of your own) as it will not work without it.
    Follow all instructions and you will not need to write any sioc codes as they are already written for you in the download.

Gary

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by bussgarfield View Post
    Hi Richard.

Go to http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/...ml?cPath=22_61
    All the SIOC files and manuals are here for you to download.
    I have the OC MCP and it is very good. You did remember to purchase the 5v power supply with it didn't you (unless you already have one of your own) as it will not work without it.
    Follow all instructions and you will not need to write any sioc codes as they are already written for you in the download.

Gary
    hi didnt realise i would need a 5v power supply i was going to use a dlink hub with usb it has its own power supply will that work or will i need a seperate one

I have found that I needed a seperate power supply and one which has a jack plug to fit the MCP unit.

The OpenCockpits site says - 'You can use the USB port for feeding the module (a HUB with its own power source is recommended) or an external power source (5 volts, 500 mA)'. - I beg to differ

For the 11 euros they were asking for their power supply I thought I would err on the side of caution and purchased one.

I found that it would not work unless the power supply was connected to the rear. Now it may well be that my powered usb hubs are not powerful enough but I doubt it.

By all means try it with just the powered hub but I found that the usb hub would illuminate the green leds but the 7 segment displays would not illuminate until the 5v power supply was connected.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else with the OC MCP has encountered similar issues.

Let me know how you get on after downloading the software and keep us posted please.

Gary

Programmer

I have found that I needed a seperate power supply and one which has a jack plug to fit the MCP unit.

The OpenCockpits site says - 'You can use the USB port for feeding the module (a HUB with its own power source is recommended) or an external power source (5 volts, 500 mA)'. - I beg to differ

For the 11 euros they were asking for their power supply I thought I would err on the side of caution and purchased one.

I found that it would not work unless the power supply was connected to the rear. Now it may well be that my powered usb hubs are not powerful enough but I doubt it.

By all means try it with just the powered hub but I found that the usb hub would illuminate the green leds but the 7 segment displays would not illuminate until the 5v power supply was connected.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else with the OC MCP has encountered similar issues.

Let me know how you get on after downloading the software and keep us posted please.

Gary
    I would not rely on a USB hub to power anything that has multiple leds in it, especially not the amount of digits on an MCP. You usually connect more stuff to the hub and the hub can decide to switch off USB devices when power requirements cannot be met. As a rule of thumb, if the device has leds, I always use external power. I simply bought a standard switchable adapter and used it on the OpenCockpits MCP and I never had any problems with it.

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by metamarty View Post
    I would not rely on a USB hub to power anything that has multiple leds in it, especially not the amount of digits on an MCP. You usually connect more stuff to the hub and the hub can decide to switch off USB devices when power requirements cannot be met. As a rule of thumb, if the device has leds, I always use external power. I simply bought a standard switchable adapter and used it on the OpenCockpits MCP and I never had any problems with it.
    cheers guys will still purchase the dlink hub as i need the extra usb's for the other flight controls however i dont want to purchase a 5 v adapter from opencockpits as the shipping costs now would be high anyone know what i can use and where to plug it in i did find a loose wire at the back of the mcp near the usb lead is that it the one that hangs on its own sorry not very tech minded

ohh before i forget i did try to download the mcp manual and the siocs from opencockpits but the links are dead anyone have them
    Last edited by richard1967; 09-15-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: need to add extra

Go to the OpenCockpits site and click on 737 plug and play modules then click on the picture of the MCP. The SIOC's and manual will have a download link from there.
    There should be no loose wire hanging from the rear. All you should have are the usb and 5v sockets.

As for the power source, I suggest you go with metamarty's idea and use a switchable adapter which normally come with an assortment of jack plugs.

Programmer

Go to the OpenCockpits site and click on 737 plug and play modules then click on the picture of the MCP. The SIOC's and manual will have a download link from there.
    There should be no loose wire hanging from the rear. All you should have are the usb and 5v sockets.

As for the power source, I suggest you go with metamarty's idea and use a switchable adapter which normally come with an assortment of jack plugs.
    Yes, any electronics store should have these. The jack is a standard stereo audio plug. Just make sure you use a volt meter to check the polarity and voltage before plugging it in and I think you should be able to get it to work for under $10.

10+ Posting Member

as you can see in the image i have thse same mcp without the box if you check the link on the second pic the mcp side on if you zoom in you can see a wire hanging down with a small metal bit lol thats what i have is that normal

10+ Posting Member

http://www.kennair.com.au/mcp.html

as you can see in the image i have thse same mcp without the box if you check the link on the second pic the mcp side on if you zoom in you can see a wire hanging down with a small metal bit lol thats what i have is that normal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast