Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

help with wiring up old units with 7 segment displays. What to use?

You cant beat the real thing as they say, and i've got some old great condition panels which i want to take out the insides of and replace with 7 segment displays which connect with USB to flight sim.

Didn't goflight do a board where you buy the circuit board and the 7 segment displays and wire them up and you can put them in whatever panel you want?

Does anyone have a solution to what i use. I presume i need a circuit board and if someone could tell the correct type of 7 segment displays that go with it?

any solutions at all?

I even thought of desoldering the displays on the goflight radio panel and putting them on wire to the new panel to extend them off the circuit board. Due to the goflight panel being to wide to put straight behind.

Let me know asap i want to get this show on the road
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Re: help with wiring up old units with 7 segment displays. What to use?

Hi Gez,

GoFlight no longer make the boards where you connect 7 segment modules to them, they discontinued this along time ago mate, very hard to get hold of second hand, not many in circulation at all.

If your going the 7 segment route, boy do you need good soldering skills, because the distance between each pin is dismal, and a little too much solder and your creating brigdes, I know this from experience.

I have two x 7 segment PCB's if you want them (5 digit) and one 4 digit pcb, but they need drilling, if you have got a dremel and 0.5mm drill bit then you are welcome to have these, this are from my old fs-bus controller which I sold a while back. You will need Kingsbright SA 36-11 GWA digits at around £1-2 each, just google them.

Other than this, buy these:

http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/...ml?cPath=24_56

But you will need the OC master card plus displays card to control up to 15 digits I believe. You will need to buy another display card to control more digits. You will need to then create the SIOC to configure them.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards Sir,

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

Generic GA Sim Builder Jordan Farmer's Avatar
    Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom, 1.14701878546E+14, Exeter, Devon

Re: help with wiring up old units with 7 segment displays. What to use?

Sounds like a good deal you have there Geremy, well, i would say, as Alex did, go for OC cards, they seem to have loads of support around here, so you may be in luck. And its actually 16 digits you can display, but if you want to have dimming on them, then you wire up 15. I would just stick with 15, you may not want to dim the dasplays now, but you never know what may happen in the future I have a display II card sat here, and im now waiting on delivery of the master card, and some in and out cards aswel.
    I can tell you, SIOC seems a bit of a pain to learn, as most of the tutorials are translated from spanish, and a little difficult to understand, but its very versatile, and as i said, tonnes of support around here

Cheers

Jordan