Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

3D - is this the future?

Hi all,

flat screen TV monitors capable of "3D" viewing are coming up in the stores more and more. Using acive or passive polarising glasses or other technologies makes you feel like more "inside" the action.
    I wonder, whether there will be (or already are) projectors meeting this new technique.
    Also, I wonder, will these projectors be helpful in cockpit outside visualisation? I mean, most of the time you´re sitting in your sim, you will look at scenery objects which are at least several feet or even thousands of feet away. But doesn´t 3 D viewing make sense mainly watching objects that are pretty close? Far objects seem more flat to the eye, isn´t that true?
    When wearing somewhat darkening glasses, would this hinder you reading your cockpit instruments?
    What is your opinion?

Cheers
    Chris

75+ Posting Member

Re: 3D - is this the future?

I have 3 Optoma GT720 Projectors which will do 3D with glasses, not sure I want to try it yet. Wondering about how it would hamper the view of the MIP screens. Might break down and give it a whirl if I find cheap glasses

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Re: 3D - is this the future?

3D video is a touchy feely kind of thing. If you could touch it then the 3D effect could give you the illusion that it's actually where you can reach out and grab it (ala virtual cockpit) if you can't reach it then it's probably not going to do to much? For the most part we are bared from the outside (inside a big metal box with windows to keep the air and us in so that restricts it. Nothing can penetrate the box so it really can't look like it can either.

The only FS application (outside of the virtual cockpit) would be weather. As aircraft fly through weather there could be some benefit from 3D clouds and other conditions. As most weather in FS is currently pretty flat looking this could make it a bit more realistic. If that could be processed into 3D.

Cheers
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian