25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

FSUIPC SETTING OF FLAPS

Hi,

I am having problem setting up the flaps for my LD767 in FSX through FSUIPC.

This is what I am doing.

1. I broke apart an old joystick that I have and used the rotary pot that was used for the elevator/ailerons.
    2. I checked it in my computer setup on the game controllers and it works fine.
    3. In FSX: I go to ADDONS and select FSUIPC, I can go to the axis alignment screen and do the following
    a. SELECT FLAPS from the dropdown menu
    b. Go through the range of montion and setup the pot
    Then, I go to the joystick calibration screen
    a. Select FLAPS DETENT from the menu
    b. Setup range for Flaps to change

Nothing happens, except the flaps will go full up or full down when I turn the pot through its range

What am I doing wrong here? I read about many who have build with a linear sliding pot or linear rotary pot.

I cannot find anything where there is a tutorial for this, or even something that Pete has written about in terms of FSUIPC.

Any help would be great!

Taufeeq

300+ Forum Addict

Re: FSUIPC SETTING OF FLAPS

Quote Originally Posted by shoumi View Post
    I cannot find anything where there is a tutorial for this, or even something that Pete has written about in terms of FSUIPC.
    Why not try the FSUIPC User Guide, where there's a complete section with numbered steps for calibration (which you should do first) and a special section about setting specific detentes for flaps -- with pictures even! I don't see how I could do more, but why folks don't read what is there beats me!

If all else fails, try the documentation. That's what it is for!

Pete

25+ Posting Member

Sorry Pete!

Yes, I found it. I guess it kinda got lost in all the pages.
    You do have a reason to be frustrated, lol. Will do better before I shoot off a post.

Thanks again for being there for us all.

Taufeeq

Hi, I've been trying to use fsuipc to set specific flap settings in FSX when programming my go-flight throttle quadrant. I fly a 737, which has 9 flap detents. But my throttle quadrant has only 6 detents, so I'm trying to set detents for flap 0,1,5,15,25 and 40. But I can't find out which commands of the commands listed will do this for me. Anyone know if there are any fsx commands for the specific detents?

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Kirkwall View Post
    Hi, I've been trying to use fsuipc to set specific flap settings in FSX when programming my go-flight throttle quadrant. I fly a 737, which has 9 flap detents. But my throttle quadrant has only 6 detents, so I'm trying to set detents for flap 0,1,5,15,25 and 40. But I can't find out which commands of the commands listed will do this for me. Anyone know if there are any fsx commands for the specific detents?
    Not for anything but the Cessna flap settings, no. But you can use the Flaps Set command with an appropriate parameter. The values are 0 (up) to 16363 (full) with the others more or less equally spaced between. It isn't related to the actual degrees of flaps, only the flap detente number, 0-8.

You'd need to calculate then adjust after experimentation. The PMDG 737 has slightly different values to the default 737.

The other, probably easier, way you could try is simply calibrate properly using the FSUIPC calibration tab's detentes but with just small zones between detentes for the settings you want to omit. Assuming you are moving the lever from detente to detente, intermediate calibrations wouldn't matter in any case.

Regards
    Pete

Thanks for the suggestion, Pete. If I use the easier option, which command do I use? Flaps Inc?

300+ Forum Addict

Thanks for the suggestion, Pete. If I use the easier option, which command do I use? Flaps Inc?
    By the "easier" option, do you mean the one calibrating the flaps axis and applying calibrated detentes?

If so, of course not. FLAPS INC is what is used on the F7 key by default. It merely moves to the next stop. How that that be calibrated? It's for a button, or key!

The flaps axis is the flaps axis assigned in the Axis Assignments in FSUIPC or in FS, for axes not buttons or keys. Have you never yet even tried assigning the axis to the flaps at all? Maybe you should try that first before worrying about detentes. When you have it properly calibrated and working in the right direction. look up the flaps detente facilities specifically provided in FSUIPC, in the Joystick Calibration chapter. There are pictures too!

If your flaps lever is really actually made up of 6 buttons, no axis at all, then you'd assign each button to the flaps axis control also, but give each a different fixed computed flaps value as parameter.

Pete

"If so, of course not. FLAPS INC is what is used on the F7 key by default. It merely moves to the next stop. How that that be calibrated? It's for a button, or key!"

The reason I asked, is that I don't know the difference between the FS commands listed in your document. Although I have this list, I haven't been able to find any documentation explaining the commands or which commands take parameters and if so, what values I should use.

The GT-TQ6 throttle quadrant flap lever is and axis control (not a switch lever), so I perceive from your answer I should use the flap set command for all flap settings then.

The spoiler lever on my quadrant when using the assignment program from GoFlight, just goes from spoiler down to full spoiler up. Can you advice me if there is a command for setting the spoiler incrementally, and if so what parameter it takes?

300+ Forum Addict

The reason I asked, is that I don't know the difference between the FS commands listed in your document. Although I have this list, I haven't been able to find any documentation explaining the commands or which commands take parameters and if so, what values I should use.
    I didn't invent the names of FS commands. They are its own. But I would have though that "AXIS FLAPS SET" was fairly suggestive of being an Axis, whilst "FLAPS INC" and "FLAPS DEC" sound like being single action operations, don't you think? I don't document FS controls because I don't necessarily know what they all do. I did try once, in FS98 days, but there were far fewer then.

Besides, I can't understand how you'd get so confused in any case because the drop-downs in FSUIPC's axis assignments (left-hand side) only include those controls which can be used with an axis. It doesn't include Flaps Inc and Flaps Dec at all, so where are you assigning such things? If in the right hand side that's there particularly to assign positions on an axis to non-axis controls, or fixed point axis controls, just like assigning buttons or keypresses. Using an axis for a gear lever, to select gear up and gear down, is a case in point, and is the example provided in the FSUIPC documentation.

I think pretty much all of the Axis-usable controls end in "Set". Some of the others do take parameters as well, but that is a matter for experimentation. I couldn't tell you without experimenting.

If you don't understand what you are assigning to in FSUIPC, why not simply assign things in FS? There's no need to assign in FSUIPC -- the calibration facilities work just as well for FSX assignments.

The spoiler lever on my quadrant when using the assignment program from GoFlight, just goes from spoiler down to full spoiler up. Can you advice me if there is a command for setting the spoiler incrementally, and if so what parameter it takes?
    As with flaps there's an axis for spoilers. Strangely named AXIS SPOILER SET. The "parameter" it takes is the axis value coming from the joystick of course, as for all axes.

Why not just delete your FSUIPC INI file so it returns to default settings, then assign all of your axes in FS? It offers you less choice and will therefore not confuse you so much.

Pete