Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Generic GA Sim Builder Jordan Farmer's Avatar
    Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom, 1.14701878546E+14, Exeter, Devon
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Some more progress!

Hi there guys, i just wanted to give you some idea of what my final plan will (hope) to be! im rubbish at using any proper CAD program, so i decided to try just making a 3d model of the design in google's free scetchup program, i must say the UI is very easy to get used to! Anyway, i have a few images, and here they are!

This is just an overview!
    fullsimmodel1.jpg

The G1000 bezels, without any switches at the moment!
    fullsimmodel4.jpg

The throttle quadrant, i have 2 saitek quads which will be used. these are just made up from rough measurements
    fullsimmodel2.jpg

And because im greedy, i want to add some 'steam' gauges aswell, seeing as i have a spare monitor, i dont see why not to be honest!
    fullsimmodel3.jpg

Well guys, let me know what you think anyway, and give me some suggestions if you would!
    Cheers,

Jordan

Re: Some more progress!

I envy your planning skills. This is looking good, keep us posted on your progress.
    Kerbo on YouTube or Twitch
    github.com/wriley

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

As Wriley says, great planning skills...

Just a shame that the monitors could not be the same size, as it kind of looks odd having one screen bigger than the other!

As I said once, make both cutouts for the screen the same size and put the larger monitor behind the 10.4" cutout to the right, it will work! Trust me on that!

By the way, I have sent you the Garmin 1000 MIP cad drawing to your college email as given!

Cheers,

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

Ok, so a bit of a change from last time, but this is my 'mark I' of my sim. I do plan on building a G1000 based sim, but ive decided, while the PM software is still needing some development, so ive heard, im going to go for a steam gauge style pit. Ive been designing and building all at the same time, and ive gone and bought some materials today to finish the basic shape. The main base is fully made now, i just have the bottom to fix, the MIP to cut to shape and fit, monitors etc to fit, and then i will buy the MDF to make the top/cowl. it is based quite strongly on a cessna as you can probably see. The gauge positioning will change to simulate a twin, but i havnt laid the PM gauges out for that yet. the radios and stuff will be finally built by me, except the GNS530, which i am going to buy from our resident expert Steve1970! But enough talking, i will let the images explain

The MIP
    5.jpg
    Its Back end (Ooh arr misses :P)
    4.jpg
    You may be able to see the labels, but this is the radio/gauge layout im going for
    3.jpg
    Again, the radio's
    2.jpg
    The whole sim, from the front!
    1.jpg

Oh yeah, before i go, i managed to extend the tube for my saitek yoke, by using some crutches from the NHS, well, they havnt asked for them back and its been nearly 3 years, i pay my taxes

Will post some pics up when ive got it build up!

Cheers,

Jordan

As promised, heres some images of the sim so far, its very, very far from complete, but ive been working on it all day, and have the basic setup now, which i am very happy with. I also went and bought Project Magenta's GA IFR software, it was difficult handing that much cash over, but im extremely pleased with it! I managed to get the twin engine gauges working so i have all the holes cut and the screen installed. Anyway, i will let the pictures do the talking!

Ive put the front on hinges so i can access the back easily
    DSCF0018.jpg
    The yoke is detachable and slots throgh the front, it has 3 positions for length aswell!
    DSCF0014.jpg

Attachment 4211
    The back, behind with the monitor and yoke. the monitor unclips from its stand aswell
    DSCF0012.jpg
    With everything installed
    DSCF0016.jpg
    And finally with the PM gauges working with FS
    DSCF0019.jpg

Well, its been quite some work, but im there! Now ive got the rest of the work to do, radios to make, monitor stand to fit, lots of SIOC and switches etc! its all good fun! Let me know what you guiys think, cheers.

Regards,

Jordan

6. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post

Good start on the sim, cant help but notice the top of the MIP doesn't quite meet up with the top of the frame/casing, is there going to be a trim to hide the small gap or can the MIP be raised a little higher to close the gap?

Great to see a GA sim coming along in the pipe line....

My sim should be finished by the end of this week, got one more week off holiday (been on holiday abroad all last week)... so spending a hole week on the sim!

Please keep me posted on the updates!

Cheers,

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

Well alex, i hope you enjoyed that holiday, im on one of those full time holidays where i dont have a full time job! Have fun on your sim this week, im looking forward to seeing the finished product! And yes, there is a gap, thats mainly because of my dodgy measurement and jigsaw work but it is temporary, as i plan on making a curved cowl on top, covered with faux leather or something similar!

Cheers,

Jordan

That's fair enough pal, when jigging straight lines, see if you can find a long piece of thin batton and clamp it to the mdf / mip, then use that as a guide for your jig, I found an excellent handsaw from my local market, and that cuts straight lines perfectly, cost £4 and its the best saw I have ever had (its an 8 teeth per inch) perfect for cutting long lengths straight, I then use a 10 teeth per inch saw for finer cutting such for thinner wood and nicer edges such as facing edges and trims!

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

Looks like you are off to a great start. Could you provide more details on how you extended the shaft of the yoke?

Thats a very good idea alex, with the batron, i thought, being from a family of carpenters, i should have known that! And i do have a great handsaw, but as per usual, its gone missing! Im uploading a little video now just showing you around my little pit so far

@ Smendik;
    Hi there chap, you asked how i extended the yoke, i will warn you it was with great difficulty! The build quality of saitek isnt exactly perfect to say the least! Things were fairly tough, but i got there! Basically, i used an old crutch from an accident a had a few years ago, Her Majesties great NHS never asked for it back so i just used it for this! I found the ineer part fits perfectly inside the old yoke shaft, and then the outer part clips onto that. You can then cut to length, I also drilled holes here and there to allow removal and extension etc! The yoke head isnt wired in any more, as the wires had to be cut But i plan on getting some extension cabling and re-doing the wires so i can use the buttins on the yoke again, or i will buy a different yoke 'head'. The whole assembly is bolted to a small piece of steel i had lying around, and this is bolted to the desk. Hope this helps,

Many regards,

Jordan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast