Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Cessna 172 Replica Production

That is what I would do. The exact number of mm range to me would be less important than the function for the immersion.

My handles all came from a 210, so may have different measurements anyway than what you could expect from other models. None of the three even had the same range of travel.

On a side note, when you built your glareshield, did you use the CAD file I uploaded here for the mip outside measurements? If you did, I would be interested in getting one.
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

It seems I missed your mip measurements otherwise would have used them in the construction. The outside measurements of the glareshield are 1070(w) x 520(h), is that within your spec?

The inside panel area is measured from Simkits and CockpitSonic glareshields in an attempt to keep some sort of 'standard' in the production, assuming that those measurements represent a genuine panel area in a 172 which they seem to do within 3mm or so. The outside was a bit tricky because there are certain things that cant be done in vacuum forming, but mainly it was crafted by giving the designer lots of pictures of a genuine Cessna cockpit and asking him to do his best (which he did!).

I dont want to offend other producers of 172 glareshields but they did not put much effort into strengthening their design or applying much skill to reproduce the shape/curves. Simkits have still banned me from their forum so who cares if they are offended lol

Chris

3. Thanks jackwall thanked for this post
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Simkits have still banned me from their forum so who cares if they are offended lol
    Still banned? Crazy!

It's not as if you are a threat or anything to them, Chris you are a perfectionist hobbyist and they are an overpriced business!

Chris, carry on what you are doing because you are doing wonders for the Cessna sim hobby!
    GA or the Highway!

5. Thanks cjellwood, jackwall thanked for this post

thanks Alex, it has cheered me up reading that

Today I bought a OCZ RevoDrive in the hope it would supercharge FSX, but it only gave minor improvements over the SSD setup I had before. Kind of p'eed off because it was lots of £££ and my other half is naggin me about it lol

I have ordered those vernier throttles from China so should have something to play with in a week or so when they arrive.

Chris

25+ Posting Member

Chris,

this thread is a great resource to spur the innovation and home build DIY activity. Thanks for sharing the experience. I genuniely do not intend to bandwagon here but I have to fully agree with post #43.

Many thanks for the inspiration Chris.

jack
    Last edited by jackwall; 11-16-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
    If it's ain't broken, break it and then fix it !

The standard vernier controls arrived from Taiwan last week. Here is a pic of me holding both ends

It already has an advantage over the original Cessna control because it has a solid rod at the linking end rather than just a cable protruding. The in/out travel of that rod is 75mm. Going back to the control end (not knob end), this is what it looks like when the plastic knob assembly is removed (with a hammer)

The plastic knob was attached to the metal tube by a process known as 'necking'. Unfortunately I cant use that process when attaching a Cessna knob so it looks like a grub screw setup will be holding that piece together later. The biggest problem is where the push button is concerned. The rod that is pushed to remove the lock is a seperate piece that falls out of the assembly i.e. not fixed. That means I need to find a way of installing the push button inside the Cessna knob so that it does not fall out, maybe the Cessna knob will need to be made in two pieces? Or apply some more grub screw magic to stop it coming out of the knob assembly?

Chris

10+ Posting Member

Hi,

Where did you byu these vernier controls? and how much were they?

thanks

500+ This must be a daytime job

Chris,

The original cables do terminate in a solid rod. I can't see how you would make the knobs in one piece and have the lock function. In the real thing, the lock is a push button loaded with a heavy spring, probably much as the one you are using is. If you can copy the function of yours, with a more realistic knob, you are there!

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

£12 each (including control cable and end) + £30 shipping

http://www.aliexpress.com:80/product...olesalers.html

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mongo View Post
    Chris,

The original cables do terminate in a solid rod. I can't see how you would make the knobs in one piece and have the lock function. In the real thing, the lock is a push button loaded with a heavy spring, probably much as the one you are using is. If you can copy the function of yours, with a more realistic knob, you are there!

Reid
    There was an error in my previous post regarding the push rod not being fixed. It turns out that it is fixed but I broke it when hammering the plastic knob off.

The push button on this vernier does not have a spring inside the knob as I think you were describing AK. The rod travels in 8-10mm to release the lock and the spring must be in the vernier section somewhere. But now I know the rod is meant to be fixed and not drop out like it does now, the seperate push button can simply screw onto the end of the push rod while the knob itself just hold to the casing with some grub screws.

Btw, I think this vernier has 14 complete turns from open to closed from what I recal before beating the knob off. Is that unlike the original?

Chris

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast