25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Building Inexpensive General Purpose Cockpit

WOW! From what I can see on this forum most of you are very dedicated cockpit builders with large investments both in money and time. By contrast I am aiming for a relatively simple, low cost solution.

I posted the following on the "Introduce Yourself" section but got no replies so thought I would try here.

==================

I've been using FS9 (off and on, but not seriously) for a few years. I recently built a new computer for FSX with the aim of getting more serious about the hobby.

Here is what I currently have:
    - FSX Gold (no third-party add ons)
    - Computer (built myself; it has an Intel i5 750 CPU overclocked to 3.8 Ghz, 4 Gb memory, XFX ATI 5770 video card, WD Caviar 1 Tb hard drive, 64 bit Windows 7 Pro)
    - Dell 24 inch 1080p LCD monitor
    - Old 17 inch CRT monitor (for displaying some primary instruments)
    - TrackIR 4 Pro
    - CH Products Yoke
    - CH Products Rudder Pedals
    - CH Products Trottle Quadrant

I would like to build on this setup but as a retiree I don't have a lot of spare cash so I need to spend the money in a way that gives the most return (enjoyment). I am not a purist and I like to fly a variety of aircraft from GA to heavies.

I'm thinking of building a simple shell based loosely on the Roger Dodger Aviation "Universal Airliner" and keyboard modifications. I would also like to try building some switch panels based on Leo Bodnar's BU0836X controller.

I will soon be replacing the CRT monitor with an LCD monitor. Here is where I could use some advice. I could get another Dell 24 inch and put them side by side. That way I could use them together to get a wider view (probably at the expense of a big FPS hit). Or I could use the second monitor to display only instruments which will not have a big FPS hit. The other option (cheaper) is to get a smaller widescreen LCD (e.g. a 20 inch) and put it below the main screen. This smaller monitor would then only be available to display instruments.

Any suggestions, especially re the monitor setup and other relatively low cost build options would be much appreciated.

75+ Posting Member

Re: Building Inexpensive General Purpose Cockpit

If you only use two monitors for your forward view, the runway centerline can get lost in the middle where the bezels are. I was using two when I first bought my triple head 2 go and was waiting on the third monitor (Now have moved to single 50" on the desk and triple Projectors in the garage waiting on the final build). With just two, in flying and FPS games as well, I lost the middle of the screen to the bezels. Made it horrible to fly.

Good luck with your build and welcome.

25+ Posting Member

jskibo ... Thanks for the caution re losing the centerline. With that in mind I'll probably just use the second monitor for panels/instruments. Sounds like you have and will have (with the projectors) a nice setup.

BTW ... do you use FSUIPC? From what I've read it sounds like a worthwhile add on. I know I'll need it if I get the Leo Bodnar interface but for now I would use it to calibrate/control my CH Products stuff. Do you know if it really will make that much of a difference with the yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant?

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by trolleydriver View Post
    jskibo ... Thanks for the caution re losing the centerline. With that in mind I'll probably just use the second monitor for panels/instruments. Sounds like you have and will have (with the projectors) a nice setup.

BTW ... do you use FSUIPC? From what I've read it sounds like a worthwhile add on. I know I'll need it if I get the Leo Bodnar interface but for now I would use it to calibrate/control my CH Products stuff. Do you know if it really will make that much of a difference with the yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant?
    Yes, I have used FSUIPC for years. Much better for calibrating those devices and for the ability to have it do different things based upon different aircraft (i.e. Mixture and prop on levers for Recip A/C, Spoiler or flaps on Jets....something to consider if you are building a generic pit).

Here's a list I had previously of all the possible offsets that can be controlled with FSUIPC http://www.projectmagenta.com/resour...PCOffsets.html There might be a newer one out there, but this will give you an idea of the flexibility