Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Talking Building a Cessna 172 Simulator???

Ok, so im an Air Cadet up in newcastle upon tyne, and because i have the most flight experience and aviation knowledge, i have been put in charge of flight simulator development and teaching of basic navigation and aircraft operations etc.

The staff have managed to get a Quad Core computer with 4GB of ram and an 8800GTS for me to play with, along with a projector.
    I also have another lower spec computer (1.8ghz 256mb ram) with a 15 Inch LCD or 19 Inch CRT at my disposal.

My ethics have always been to make simulation as real as possible, so i am trying to secure funding from the Commanding Officer to develop the simulator to its maximum potential. So Far he has approved an enclosure with 2 car seats (which i should be able to get my hands on on Tuesday). However, i want to build a close to life cockpit for as little money as possible. I want to have every switch on the panel working including cabin air which i plan to use some 120mm computer fans.

For the Panel i am looking at FsXpand and FSUIPC 4 along with various other stuff.

i seem to know exactly what i want however there are a few things that i would like to clear up.

1. How would i go about connecting/powering say 3 or 4 computer fans to a rotary switch in on the panel.
    2. How would i power LED's on a seperate circuit to the switches which i plan to use a BU0836X (Good Choice?) i plan to use Double pole switches for this.
    3. Could i use a dual projector setup to achieve 120 degrees FOV with flat screens, or would i have to go with 3 projectors and 180 degrees?
    4. what sort of starter switches are there available that resemble a Cessna in looks or functionality?

Thanks for the help, any additional help would be apreciated

Keith

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: Building a Cessna 172 Simulator???

Quote Originally Posted by km3099 View Post
    4. what sort of starter switches are there available that resemble a Cessna in looks or functionality?
    Keith,

I have used a Desktop Aviator Model 1010E for the basis of my electrical panel. It is a USB plug and play module that has a semi-real starter, that I could not source elsewhere. It functions correctly, but has a 180 degree throw vs. the normal 90 or 120ish throw in the real a/c.

I tore it apart to interface it to my own panel, added a real Cessna split master switch(purchased at Aircraft Spruce), and separated out the beacon and strobe functions into individual toggle switches. The USB board that interfaces the DA unit has a few unused inputs that made it possible to add the switches without any other interface card. May add the split avionics master switch at some point, but not sure if fsx supports that function.
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

Found this website for those that do not want to build their own Cessna style throttle, prop and mixture controls. Nice work. Just as an FYI
    http://www.vraircraft.com/index_16.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jsfboat View Post
    Found this website for those that do not want to build their own Cessna style throttle, prop and mixture controls. Nice work. Just as an FYI
    http://www.vraircraft.com/index_16.htm
    Yikes, those are more expensive than the real thing!
    Kerbo on YouTube or Twitch
    github.com/wriley

500+ This must be a daytime job

Quote Originally Posted by wriley View Post
    Yikes, those are more expensive than the real thing!
    Maybe not more expensive by the time you buy input card, throttles, pots, misc mounting bits etc, but sure looks "plasticky"

Here is what my engine controls look like:

They use 100mm slide pots that are interfaced through the TPM inputs in my CH yoke. The throttle is straight pull while the Mixture and Prop controls are both verniered.

edit:not sure why the photo did not link, but here is the direct link.http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_0341.jpg
    Last edited by AK Mongo; 08-19-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Broken photo link
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mongo View Post
    Maybe not more expensive by the time you buy input card, throttles, pots, misc mounting bits etc, but sure looks "plasticky"
    Was going to say the same thing....

At least the goflight TQ is metal and around the same price (and does multi).

Ok, so im an Air Cadet up in newcastle upon tyne, and because i have the most flight experience and aviation knowledge, i have been put in charge of flight simulator development and teaching of basic navigation and aircraft operations etc.

The staff have managed to get a Quad Core computer with 4GB of ram and an 8800GTS for me to play with, along with a projector.
    I also have another lower spec computer (1.8ghz 256mb ram) with a 15 Inch LCD or 19 Inch CRT at my disposal.

My ethics have always been to make simulation as real as possible, so i am trying to secure funding from the Commanding Officer to develop the simulator to its maximum potential. So Far he has approved an enclosure with 2 car seats (which i should be able to get my hands on on Tuesday). However, i want to build a close to life cockpit for as little money as possible. I want to have every switch on the panel working including cabin air which i plan to use some 120mm computer fans.

For the Panel i am looking at FsXpand and FSUIPC 4 along with various other stuff.

i seem to know exactly what i want however there are a few things that i would like to clear up.

1. How would i go about connecting/powering say 3 or 4 computer fans to a rotary switch in on the panel.
    2. How would i power LED's on a seperate circuit to the switches which i plan to use a BU0836X (Good Choice?) i plan to use Double pole switches for this.
    3. Could i use a dual projector setup to achieve 120 degrees FOV with flat screens, or would i have to go with 3 projectors and 180 degrees?

Keith
    I would suggest using Saitek Pro Flight Panels and Cessna controls. You can get Cessna edition yoke, pedals and even throttle quadrant. The panels wont look exactly the same, but I fly Cessna 172s and their pretty close to the same thing. I use it for my home cockpit and its very simple to set up, and doesn't lag the flight sim.

300+ Forum Addict

Hi,
    what budget do you have?
    no point to suggest any type of brand or make ,
    greetz

25+ Posting Member

if you have leo bodnar card you can add all swithes and rotary switch(start) and encoders input thats easy and cheap than anything other old soic or other poke card what have my test only big ****, leo makeing good card. all input.
    but output i no know because no need,
    only now starting made radio panel need output to LCD and link2fs and arduino have best select because i looking many different card and all wery expensive, only stupid guy pay all what many seller want. wery expensive and no have good.
    if can make elektronic little in home(all can if learn little)can build all cocpit in home, no need stupid exepensive ready panels and other ****.

Keith

We are building the same thing you are We are using a wrecked 172 fuselage we got for free. Visit the utube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEg-setexE

11. Likes BushPilotWannabe liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast