500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Looking for a Gear Train Simulator

Hi fellow MC'rs. I'm looking for a freeware gear train simulator/calculator. I'm building several geared parts for the center console (tunnel) and want to try out the gearing before I order the gears.. Hopefully saving time and resources.

Do any of you know of one I can find online. Flash/Java would be fine to so long as I can add the number of teeth and observe the movement.

I have figured out the gear ratios as best I can but want to prove it to myself that it will work. Anyone out there that has built a pedestal would know the challenges involved.

Help please..
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

MyCockpit Support Staff

Re: Looking for a Gear Train Simulator

Hi Ron, I can do all of your gear train calcs and supply you with plastic gears of any size and bore diameter. I use gears in my throttle/potentiometer drives, have a look at http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au/throttle.html and you will see the type of 6mm thick gears I can make. I sell sets, (small gear + large gear) for AUD$20.00 plus postage. I am also supplying www.throttletek.com with gears for their new B767 TQs!
    Cheers, Gwyn
    www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Re: Looking for a Gear Train Simulator

Thank you for the response. I figured it out. Just took some head shaking to get the compound gear train figured out. I was reading where an idler gear has no effect on gear ratio and couldn't understand why but then the compound gear train showed me the way. I was missing the connection between driver and driven (idler only reverses direction).

As much I love Australia and I do love the stuff on your website. I'm about halfway around the world in Ontario Canada. We're entering our winter here as you are getting hotter. Oh yes we get loads of snow too.

I want to thank you for your offer but I think I figured a way to do it using less gears then I had originally planned. I was working from my main driver out in two directions. One for the indicator and one for the control but I'm going to add the indicator into the control. It's still a compound gear train but I don't need two just the one. Sometimes I over design things .

Cheers
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian