10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Microsoft FSX issues with getting 6 displays

Hello,
    I am trying to get 6 displays out of one computer while running FSX. My system: Windows 7, Phenom X4, 4GB ram, two ASUS 5770 with 3 outputs on each (max of two outputs available for simultaneous use) to get 4 displays, plus 2 USB to VGA converters for a total of 6 displays.

I first got all 6 displays running (installed latest drivers for USB to VGA converters), I then opened FSX. But when dragging the FSX window (or new FSX windows) to other monitors, the window goes either dark or still, and dragging it back to the main monitor returns it to normal. After doing that a lot of times FSX closes itself (crashes).

I then pulled the USB screens out and restarted, but the issue stayed. Then I tried grouping the pair outputs of each card, which resulted in two big desktops (each spread over two screens), but still not working on two desktops (4 screens)...

I think the issue is that FSX is sending data to only one video card, and not the other card (or USB screens)... could this be a windows 7 problem? any help would be very much appreciated.
    Mehdi

Boeing 777 Builder

Re: issues with getting 6 displays

Hi Mehdi, lots more information needed I think to resolve this one however what you are trying to do will test your system to the max. Running all these screens and expecting FS to display on them is a big ask for the system you have. The Phenom X4 was released back in 2008 and would hardly have the power to run FSX on multiscreens adequately. Also the USB/VGA output are really only good for simply text or small output displays, not FS panels or scenery, they just don't have the grunt. If you are experiencing blank windows when dragging anything to the USB screens then I think this will certainly explain it.

Some of the questions to answer are:

1. Are you running Win7 64 in order to make the use of the whole 4gb RAM?
    2. Are your two graphics slots both PCIE X16 and if not what is the second slot (x8, x4 or x1)?
    3. Have you tweaked your system both for Windows and FSX to maximise it?
    4. Do you use the PC for other purposes apart from FSX?
    5. Have you been running FSX with multimonitors successfully prior to this setup?

I would try removing all bar one screen and setup windows once again in its simplest form then run FS to ensure it all works. Then add another monitor and set that up and so on until you find the culprit. Also remember that you must set up FSX screen size and resolution to match that of the Windows setup otherwise you can experience problems.

No this isn't a Win7 problem as I have two video cards running a TH2GO plus 3 other monitors quite successfully, but all systems are different and it very much depends how you've set your whole system up. FSX isn't a game and requires quite a bit of work to successfully run in a configuration that you are attempting.

Cheers,

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Are you running the two video cards in crossfire configuration? if so the outputs from the second card won't work, or that's my understanding at least.

Edit: I am also running six displays on a slower system than yours, with Vista. Three displays for the forward view on a Triplehead2Go, a single 90 degree right display and two displays for instruments.

10+ Posting Member

Hi Kennair,
    sorry for the lack of full description. I am running windows 7 64 bit. Both cards are in non-cross fire mode, and installed in PCIEx16. I haven't tweaked FSX nor windows to maximize performance, I was hoping I can learn how to do that here
    My PC is still new (from cyberpowerpc.com) I still have time to try it out and return it if it doesn't end up working. I got it for FSX usage only, haven't ran FSX on it before. I am going to try it again tonight with matching the screen resolution in FSX to the actual resolution... something I noticed but didn't think much of... I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks.
    Mehdi

Boeing 777 Builder

Hi Mehdi, everything is a learning curve in this game but for sure people here are always ready to help. I really think your USB displays are holding you back and I'd highly recommend a TH2GO to give you extra displays.

As for setting up your system HERE is the definitive advice on setting up both Windows and FSX. Follow it to the letter and you'll get twice the performance out of your system

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair